Barley .

Ultrastu

6 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Has anybody shot any pige over any standing barley yet .?

Im keeping a very close eye on my fields , there isnt any laid down yet .as the weather has been very nice of late. 

Our winter barley have only just got there ears on so there would be very little grain for pigeons to be had at the moment , Saturday afternoon we got torrential rain for about an hour with several local houses getting flooded with rain water , on the way home yesterday there was a few fields with knocked about patches which could be worth keeping an eye on in 2 / 3 weeks time , one of the earliest dates in my early diary was the 23 rd of June when I shot on laid winter barley , although then the stems were a lot longer and got laid rather than knocked about like it do nowadays with the shorter stems .

My first shoot last year was june the 4 th 

Ie today ..there were a few laid patches and i had only a couple of passing birds .though by the 23 june i had a large bag of 60 or so. 

Im predicting about 2 weeks before there is much action on my one and only barley field. 

It certainly won't be long before the pigeons are on the barley. I will have to have a good look round to find all of the winter sown stuff that might be of interest. Some fields I know are in good areas - one of which I had 286 from a couple of years back.

40 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

My first shoot last year was june the 4 th 

Ie today ..there were a few laid patches and i had only a couple of passing birds .though by the 23 june i had a large bag of 60 or so. 

Im predicting about 2 weeks before there is much action on my one and only barley field. 

It could be slightly earlier down south and a bit later the further north you go , same with the harvest , on average they normally make start around the second and third week in July , same with most things to do with farming , the weather plays an important part as and when the harvest start .

Drove back from Lincolnshire through Leicestershire to Warwicks border this afternoon and saw at least five fields of rape in seed with bunches of pigeons sitting on wires above and dropping in.  All the cereal crops around me ..Warwks/Leics?Nots/Staffs border are standing well but of course there is no weight in the heads yet to pull them down.

10 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Drove back from Lincolnshire through Leicestershire to Warwicks border this afternoon and saw at least five fields of rape in seed with bunches of pigeons sitting on wires above and dropping in.  All the cereal crops around me ..Warwks/Leics?Nots/Staffs border are standing well but of course there is no weight in the heads yet to pull them down.

One thing for certain , pigeons don't go hungry , when we had the beast from the east I shot some on beet tops and they were in excellent condition , and the ones I got last Friday afternoon on short Peas were the same , having said that , we are now in the first week in June and I haven't had a young one up to now .

One of the wheat fields beside our workshop has tractor tracks from the spraying and yesterday a few birds were dropping in. Way too early I reckon, the corn is not even milky yet. Who knows what they were thinking, but these areas could be fruitful in a week or three.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Ultrastu said:

The pigeons seem to be avoiding the barley now and hitting the wheat .

Which is unusual as far as ive seen in the past ..

Has the barley gone too hard in this hot weather. ? 

I would say that this is very normal at this time.

Erm.... barley is barley and wheat is wheat. Two different crops.

59 minutes ago, Wilts#Dave said:

Lots still on the barley here, ripening quickly though so will turn to wheat soon I expect.....been out today and even compromising hide position to get some shade picked 67 in a few hours. 

Well done on the pigeons tho. Haven' been out in ages.

Edited by haynes
Added a bit