Newbie totally confused by sight mounting

Deer John

Hello all,

Newbie to rifle scope mounting and totally confused about what I need in order to mount what I have purchased. I have a Savage Arms model 110 in .223 and bought a new Hawke Vantage 30 IR and a set of Hawke match ring mounts. The two dovetail type 'bases' at either end of the bolt are much wider than the Hawke mounts. What do I need to buy to connect the two. Will post pics if helpful.

Many thanks

JD

Sorry mate but this is mind boggling the police have given you a powerful dangerous centrefire rifle and you do not even have the knowledge to fit a scope.I think it is time we started to have some sort of tests before you can have firearms.

4 hours ago, geordieh said:

Sorry mate but this is mind boggling the police have given you a powerful dangerous centrefire rifle and you do not even have the knowledge to fit a scope.I think it is time we started to have some sort of tests before you can have firearms.

Ignore this.

See you got the 'high' mounts originally. The Weaver rail does act as a sort of spacer which sits the scope higher. Dependent upon what scope (50 or 56mm) you've got, you might want to reconsider what height mounts you now need to suit the scope/rifle interface. Not to mention you and the combination.

9 hours ago, geordieh said:

I know that this post didn't go down very well.............but geordieh does have a point. I would urge JD to get some help with the setting-up of this rather nice looking .223.........and maybe a few pointers before venturing out with it. It's OK to get a powerful rifle, but without sufficient knowledge to even set up the scope it does worry me that the user may not be knowledgeable enough to use it safely. 

And before anyone decides to lambaste me for this post, it isn't meant to be in any way derisive to JD, it's simply a bit of advice to him to get help if he is starting out for the first time with a rifle that can easily kill someone if a mistake is made.

Thanks for the advice. It looks like I need something like this (but in 30mm not 1")  both to fit the weaver rail but also the scope because the Hawke Vantage 30 is a fairly short scope for the rifle. Anyone know where I could find that in 30mm?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Weaver-1-Inch-Steel-Mounts-Savage/dp/B01N4SVLKV/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1528188266&sr=8-3&keywords=savage+110

Wymberley- good point, I fitted the scope on the mounts and got someone to hold it on the rifle at the correct height and it gives a good sight picture and a comfortable height from the eye, but well worth checking.

To the point about safety, whilst I'm a newbie to this particular sight mounting issue I do have 12 years experience first in the British Army and now the RAF firing (almost) this exact round as well as sidearms and foreign automatic and semi automatic weapons. I'd be perfectly happy with some form of testing as a previous poster suggested given that I am subject to  annual weapon handling, safety and marksmanship testing already. That said, I can see that what I have isn't right, hence am seeking advice from those more knowledgeable and would never think of firing without a suitable sighting system or indeed taking any form of dangerous shot. Thank you to all who have offered advice- I do appreciate it and won't be put off asking questions rather than going blundering into something that could be unsafe.

Graham 

Wouldnt lambast you at all and indeed a little bit of assistance cannot ever be a bad thing.

Think the ‘offence’ was at the patronising tone of the post and no the offer of help that the OP original needed.

Its not uncommon for people to not know their 9-11 or their CZ bizarre sizing, Pictinny or Weaver mounts, Swing off or such like.

Lets not start on Low/Med/High verses one or two pieces on a rail or separate mounts.

It can be a mine field to those with either little or even those with lots of experience.

How many Clubs put their probationers through more than basic safety- most Clubs I have ever attended have always had their ‘Scoped’ rifle already Zeroed and never offered to in mount and get the member to do so.

Your SSC might show ‘scoped rifle’ but I bet it didn’t say ‘purchase and mount scope’

I alway like to offer assistance ( I’m afaid I can’t call it knowledge:-) ) and would like to think others in our sport should encourage it too.

No one was born with knowledge!

Hello DJ if you follow this link there is a plethora of scope mounts that may fit the bill.

https://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/product-category/mounts/rings/page/2/?min_price=0&max_price=520&filter_brand=hawke#038;max_price=520&filter_brand=hawke

May I suggest though researching what you have against what you need IE objective diameter of your scope will more than likely determine which mounting system you need. So for e.g if I have a weaver base and a scope OD of 56mm then I may require 30mm weaver high mounts for the large end of the scope to clear and not hit the barrel when mounted. Now this may not be the case for you specifically.  Ideally keeping the scope as close to the barrel as possible is best.  You may want to purchase a couple of sets of either low/medium or medium/high trial fit and whatever doesn’t fit return if possible or sell on. 

Hope this of some use to you. 

Thanks Jason, that's helpful. Given that the total outside diameter of my 2.5-10x56 scope is 64mm, it looks like a 'high' mount would indeed be appropriate. I also cycled some .223 snap caps through the action whilst the scope was being held in its 'high' position with the 9-11mm mounts (which I'll send back) to check there were no issues with ejection and the empties will clear fine without hitting the scope.

Those tests and the advice above suggest that this is an appropriate mount:

https://uk.hawkeoptics.com/1-extension-ring-30mm-2-piece-weaver-high.html

Happy to be corrected though.

True Jay........much like the learner driver who gets cut-up by the genius who never had to "Learn" because he already knew it all.?

At this moment in time I am in the process of joining another club, and despite being a shooter for over 40+ years I am being treated like a newbie who doesn't know one end of the rifle from the other.

Annoying......yes, because I probably have more shooting experience than half of the lads who are acting as range officers. Sometimes I get a bit peeed off with being told how the make the rifle safe, especially when I have already done so and one of the other RO's comes along and closes the bolt for "Demonstration purposes".

But, this is the way that they want to do things and as a club newbie I just keep my mouth shut and go along with their way of doing things. Never too old or knowledgeable to learn more.

Must admit I do have to laugh inside when the rifles are left on the firing point without breech- flags in them though. Wouldn't be allowed on any of the smallbore match competitions I shoot in.  

John appreciate that you have army experience, but I have shot with army lads who still think army, and are used to carrying their rifles army style with the muzzles pointing at my legs?

As for those rings.have a look at Warne. They are expensive but will be made from steel and will last a lifetime.

https://www.bushwear.co.uk/warne-scope-mounts-30mm-high-42-52mm-objective-weaver-215m-pa-322719.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2szkqau82wIVhPdRCh0mEgurEAYYAyABEgJL8fD_BwE

Sorry was typing. Looks like you will need higher rings than the ones shown.

Edited by Graham M

45 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

Graham 

Wouldnt lambast you at all and indeed a little bit of assistance cannot ever be a bad thing.

Think the ‘offence’ was at the patronising tone of the post and no the offer of help that the OP original needed.

Its not uncommon for people to not know their 9-11 or their CZ bizarre sizing, Pictinny or Weaver mounts, Swing off or such like.

Lets not start on Low/Med/High verses one or two pieces on a rail or separate mounts.

It can be a mine field to those with either little or even those with lots of experience.

How many Clubs put their probationers through more than basic safety- most Clubs I have ever attended have always had their ‘Scoped’ rifle already Zeroed and never offered to in mount and get the member to do so.

Your SSC might show ‘scoped rifle’ but I bet it didn’t say ‘purchase and mount scope’

I alway like to offer assistance ( I’m afaid I can’t call it knowledge:-) ) and would like to think others in our sport should encourage it too.

No one was born with knowledge!

Well  said,