Patio stone cleaning

steve_b_wales

Hi Steve have you tried sodium hypochlorite you can get it from farmers stores £15 a drum but water it down at least 50/50 ( WATCH YOUR EYES, PETS & DONT CARRY IT INTO THE HOUSE ON YOUR BOOTS OR IT WILL RUIN YOUR CARPETS) all the guys on the block paving game use it, if that does not clean your slabs up nothing will, have a look on you tube mate.

Edited by blackbird

Depends on what the stain/colouring is on or in the slabs "in" being the problem. 

I think using a wire brush would leave them very patchy, I wouldn't. 

Sodium hypochloite is as near as mad it bleach, just the chemical name, 

The floor scrubber sounds the best advise, and just try simple detergents. 

4 hours ago, blackbird said:

Hi Steve have you tried sodium hypochlorite you can get it from farmers stores £15 a drum but water it down at least 50/50 ( WATCH YOUR EYES, PETS & DONT CARRY IT INTO THE HOUSE ON YOUR BOOTS OR IT WILL RUIN YOUR CARPETS) all the guys on the block paving game use it, if that does not clean your slabs up nothing will, have a look on you tube mate.

Thanks Steve. I'll look into this.

4 hours ago, Terry2016 said:

Hi Steve,

Depending on the finish ( and how you want them when finished) you could hire a scabbler, its like a big floor polisher you see in super markets but for concrete, it would remove the very top surface of the slab/stone like a wire brush..

Cheers 

Terry

Thanks Terry.

16 hours ago, AVB said:

Sorry I realised I hadn’t mentioned that. 

It was done by a professional cleaner using a relatively thick liquid (that smelled like bleach) and a high powered jet wash.  

Well its looks good, and has given me the urge to do mine?

good old fashioned blech and if you don't have a pressure washer they are not expensive to hire have a chat with mates and split the costs over a weekend can get loads done  after cleaning put about two pints of pva sealer into a gallon and a half / two gallon well mixed into a watering can and soak the area and let dry and repeat after  few days gives a matt finish and stops algae build up has worked for me repeat every year to keep everything looking good minimal cost

Edited by Saltings

8 hours ago, getthegat said:

Any idea if these products and methods will remove oil stains?

Use dry bio clothes wash powder. Brush it well into the stain and leave it to soak up the oil. Add small amount of hot water and scrub into a paste. Brush up excess after a couple of hours. Then hot water wash off.