Cleaning UPVC

ferguson_tom

I am in the dog house as the other day did some grinding on the front driveway, we come back after a weekend away to find all the metal sparks have now rusted and stained the UPVC front door rain deflector and some of the door itself. Any ideas on the best thing to get rid of the rust stains with?

1 minute ago, Swinton said:

I believe you can get upvc cleaner special for plastic doors and windows.

You can but it will not remove all the metal particles that have melted their way into the plastic and the rust will keep coming back, I speak from experience.

A solvent based cleaner will remove a very small layer each time it is applied so it does remove some of the rusty steel particles, I would guess that a very fine (2500) wet and dry applied wet with soapy water would remove it quicker but you would then need to polish the surface to get the glossy shine back.

I once was cutting a steel beam and the sparks were flying towards my van, s few weeks later I had brown spots on the windows. Yep you guessed it, the sparks had melted into my window. Note to self don’t do that again!  So as above your stuffed 

Edited by Delwint

3 hours ago, team tractor said:

Your stuffed . Sorry but their is no cure 

+1 only option is to paint it. The paint will soon peel off, because nothing takes to upvc,  but then you put more on.

40 minutes ago, timmytree said:

That solves the rust problem but then the OP needs someone to hoover, cook, clean, iron and provide physical relief. 

The world is full of women, they are like buses, there will always be another one along soon. 

Edited by Vince Green

18 hours ago, Jason_ox said:

You could try this, it’s says suitable for plastics and ph neutral. Got some iron contamination out of a friends white car that was turning rusty. 

https://shop.autofinesse.co.uk/iron-out-500ml

Surprisingly good stuff and  certainly worth a try.

Be forewarned that the first thing it does is turn an intense purple colour. Very alarming but be assured it washes off.

I found it only really works when sprayed onto dry surfaces but will need a good rinsing to get the purple off, which hasn't stained anything I've ever used it on.

The rust marks are going to return after a while if you have metal chips embedded in your door from grinding.

I have done exact same thing,wife cleaned it up with a cream cleaner which looked good,but rust came back and i then got another ear bashing.Just told her about this post and she said 'oh you are not the only idiot out there then' i think i might be though,as i fitted dead locks to the van and didnt air blast it clean,yep now got rust spots on van doors that look like someone emptied a tea bag over it.

Good luck with your door?