Cheddite 3 1/2" unprimed case

Any one know where i can buy some unprimed 89mm 3 1/2" cheddite shotgun cases. Clay & Game only have primed and i don't want to pay for dangerous goods post.  Looking for around 50 but if have to buy a 100 will do.

Thanks 

10 minutes ago, figgy said:

Any one know where i can buy some unprimed 89mm 3 1/2" cheddite shotgun cases. Clay & Game only have primed and i don't want to pay for dangerous goods post.  Looking for around 50 but if have to buy a 100 will do.

Thanks 

Try Kev at Wild Wings ( gaep reloading ) 

sorry to hijack this thread but any idea where can i buy 20 bore unprimed cases (70 mm) which is not C&G? 

way overpriced at £12/100....can get them cheaper from Italy and primed ... just want to use my NSI primers instead of cheddite or fiocchi to see if they perform better in the field (not just in test)

cheers,

51 minutes ago, Continental Shooter said:

to see if they perform better in the field (not just in test)

Wow ... that's some detail.

I pick a load, test it, and if it patterns OK, and is +/- 100fps of 1400 .... just go and use it.

From that point onwards ... when stuff doesn't fall out of the sky, it's my fault for not putting the shiny balls in the right place.

So .. how would you tell 'in the field' how a primer was performing?

2 hours ago, Smokersmith said:

Wow ... that's some detail.

I pick a load, test it, and if it patterns OK, and is +/- 100fps of 1400 .... just go and use it.

From that point onwards ... when stuff doesn't fall out of the sky, it's my fault for not putting the shiny balls in the right place.

So .. how would you tell 'in the field' how a primer was performing?

you'd be surprised how changing the primer can affect the results....

I know most people in UK think of Reloading as some sort of wizardry ...  throw everything in the cauldron and make it go bang....  ?

But believe it or not, lots of study and research goes into each component, hence why you got so many variables, ever so slightly different from each others yet making big differences in the end.  Then, they'll all go boom eventually (some more than others?) but i like to believe that decades of studying and testing have given me the tools and know-how to judge what difference the ever so slight change has made to a load;

there are hundreds of factors that can influence a load (air density, temperature, change in components, closure height, etc.) and the results of these changes can be more verifiable (pricked bird, pattern picture, etc) than others (perceived increased/decreased recoil, etc.).  For instance: an increase in number of bleeding birds which turn out to be hit by more than 5 pellets; birds that fly off once hit and collapse hundreds of yards away, chunks of chest plumage left behind these are all indicators.  Then it all depends on the mother load and what changes you applied 

In this respect, experience and knowledge of the physical (and some medical) phenomenon helps in having a better understanding of how these changes can affect the end results. 

Cheers,

8 hours ago, Smokersmith said:

I appreciate the approach of 'tiny incremental gains' as utilized in many sports nowadays.

The bit I don't get is how these very small increments can be assessed in a 'field' situation, when the biggest variable by far is the tool pointing the gun. 

Yeah, but when you hit them you can see if it's a clean kill or not, then if you examine the carcass you can judge the wounds. Say you feel a bird should have fall stone dead but it's pricked. When you get it home you can see the wounds. If is only one or two pellets in non vital areas, then it was you ?; if it's hot by 5-6 pellets some in dangerous areas, then you might assume the cartridge wasn't up to the job and needs adjusted.? That's just an example though?

9 hours ago, Smokersmith said:

I appreciate the approach of 'tiny incremental gains' as utilized in many sports nowadays.

The bit I don't get is how these very small increments can be assessed in a 'field' situation, when the biggest variable by far is the tool pointing the gun. 

I totally agree. I think the earlier reply was a load of waffle, to be honest!

I base my observation on decades of direct experience, with some years of study the matters and daily discussions with professionals in the field (not people who sell components but people who actually make and test them) whom, i am lucky enough, to have met throughout the years and shared knowledge during my placements.

I've also been lucky enough to have seen proper factories and tests rooms, have had access to first hand data (not just proof tests, but penetration test, heat test, etc.) and medical analysis and i like to believe that solid, scientific based observation have more relevance than gut feelings or magical belief.

where you base your assumptions .... i don't know and to be honest i'm not here to teach or judge, just like to illustrate my scientifically based perspective

Whether you believe it or not, it's up to you; is still a free country so, each to their own  ?

Guest cookoff013
On 06/06/2018 at 07:01, figgy said:

Sorry 12 Bore.

Motty was hoping to not have to buy any but not a bad idea, then reload the cases.

Any good Alliant steel recipes for a 89mm 12 bore load.

Try 36g steel shot and upwards, alliant steel really shouldnt be used for loads below 32grams of steel shot. there are many published loads, but the 36g + loads perform alot better.

As for the other comments, i cant really say much, i`m nearly always only interested in the 1" in the chamber. My research and testings have "lead" me to believe powders nearly always perform better at the maximum payload, under a 1250fps model. the inclusion of steel shot partly follows that trend, but a need for speed (well, 1400-ish).

with other nontoxic stuff, a big pinch of salt required. but that itx10 stuff and powershot rock !

The ITX and HW is great but the cost is silly.

My loads up to now are 3"with steel are all 35 gram plus and look like good tried and tested loads by members on here. I could do with a 3/12" recipe for 40/42g steel shot.

On 05/06/2018 at 17:23, figgy said:

Thanks 

Iv got a few 1000 dont mind punchin the primers out of 100 and sending them over whats the going rate as I have no idea