Cheap options

eastlincs

Hi guys, 

Just after a recommendation for cheap air rifle (below £400 ideally). Not after anything spectacular just to shoot pigeons in a barn. Looked on local sale sites nothing really in my traveling distance so looking new and cheap? 

Cheers 

Looks like a good  one. I'd be tempted to change the scope to something with an illuminated reticle, but only because if you're shooting in a barn it can be useful to see the lit reticle. But that's certainly a good option. Also it's second hand so should be well built. The new HW's haven't been quite up to the standard they used to be, but it's definitely worth going along and having a look at it.

Edited by chrisjpainter

Good gun .fair price .

Correct cal for barn pigeons too .

Though the hw97 is pretty heavy especially at the muzzle .you might get a bit of arm ache with the elevated shots .

The action can be pretty fast when it comes to shooting ferels and the under lever design isnt the quickest to get another pellet in .

I think id go with a hw 99 or a bsa lightening. Scope should be fine though .though i do take the point of illuminated rets in the dark corners of a barn .

If you do go to see it ..try holding it up elevated on aim for a bit .see how it feels .also say as its second hand you would like to shoot  it over a chronograph .this way you can check the power. How the gun cocks. how the trigger feels. And how smooth or harsh it shoots. But unless they have a range you wont be able to test accuracy ..The above should be enough to predict whether the gun will be a keeper or rubbish. As its sh .i doubt you would get any warrenty with it . (Manufacturers or shop ) so you take all the risk ..

As it's from a dealer he must include a warranty - I would suggest 3 months parts and labour at the very least although I'm pretty sure that you have the same consumer rights as if the item was new. I would look for a used TX200 if I were in your shoes.

Edited by bruno22rf

I use my TX200 for barn pigeons but as said it can get a bit busy and consequently I purchased a AA S200 PCP with 10 shot mag. Both of these came for around the three hundred mark in 1st class condition and both shoot better than I can.  The TX200(177) is my favorite by far but not a rifle to lug around too much, very heavy but that also makes it very stable free hand.  The AA S200(.22) will shoot well into 20 plus shots between top up pumps.

2 hours ago, DC177 said:

HW95k - about £280. Fantastic all-round springer.

hello, i would recommend this as well,  shooting in barns requires careful shots and i would just get a normal scope and use a red torch like the T20, a thumb switch is handy, as for calibre depends if you use for other species, it is only short range so a flat head 177? 

4 hours ago, eastlincs said:

Thanks for that, cheers for the replies. Think I’ve struck gold. Turns out a lad at works dad is selling a bsa ultra, scope and his pump said I can have it for £300 so going to go with that. Pick it up after work. 

Now that is a good deal .and a cracking gun ..

Bsa ultra can be all the gun u ever need .

Well that was false hope, lad at work got it completely wrong wasn’t a ultra. Was a old bsa springer his dads selling he’s just bought the ultra lol moron. 

Just been in my local shop though after and he was telling me a Gamo Phox would be good for what I’m after. Seems to cheap to me so thought I’d go away and have a read up first but everything I’ve read so far is positive. 

Gun, gun bag, scope and stirup pump £450. 

Or is there a reason this is so cheap?

Well the gamo fox is basically a bsa ultra made by gamo instead of bsa .

So it has a few cheaper parts .trigger ,cocking bolt etc .

But they still work fine.just built down to a price .the most important parts like the barrel are 100 % bsa quality .

To be fair .the phox with pump is an amazing deal and will be very accurate .

Shot count and performance will be all you need for dropping a few pigeons out to 45 yds . 

And will generally out perform most springers .

Id say if you can run to the cost  the phox is probably the best gun /price deal you could find .

I'd be surprised if you couldn't get a second hand pcp with scope and air bottle for 400 quid. When  I bought my last one there were 20 or so in that price range and cheaper. From the aa200 and ultras to webleys and everything in between. 

That said a second hand hw77/tx200 or hw99s will shoot better than most on here can out to 40 odd metres and cost a lot less. 

6 hours ago, eastlincs said:

Thanks for that, cheers for the replies. Think I’ve struck gold. Turns out a lad at works dad is selling a bsa ultra, scope and his pump said I can have it for £300 so going to go with that. Pick it up after work. 

hello, a nice kit now go and get those pesky feral pigeons

4 hours ago, eastlincs said:

Went for the gamo deal in the end. I’m happy with it. £450, gun bag pump and a tin of pellets. Sure it will be fine to play around with for me.

516E08AD-155C-43DE-A926-74A59C89FD0F.jpeg

Just for future reference all pics of your rifle should be on the bed, dinning table or with a scenic background.

Only messing obviously enjoy, but beware its addictive ?