Cheap options

eastlincs

Just been and used it messing about zeroing it with a friend with his rifle. I know this is a cheaper gun but it seems to travel much less distance than my friends s400 and also even at shorter distance by looking and sound it seems less powerful?!? I’ve pumped it up all seems ok, am I missing something or is it just due to being cheaper etc? 

Edited by eastlincs

Really bad way to judge the distance I know but for example, from the hedge to that post. It is only just reaching and when it does it’s out of power you can’t even hear it. I know it’s only a air rifle but that isn’t very far.....(not trying to shoot the birds on the power line was just comparing to my friends for distance)

you can can see the pellet drop through the scope when you shoot.

or have I got to big of expectations on distance lol?

C0BE8809-A042-470F-8E67-915A7B7EBFC3.jpeg

Edited by eastlincs

Hard to see properly from your pic but that does seem a long way.

best thing you can do is grab a tape measure, I've got a 50 mtr reel one, measure out from ten to thirty metres in five mtr steps and see how the rifle and you perform. Let us know how much drop your getting between 20 & 30 metres then we will have a very rough idea if your power is low.

Ok we can do this .

We can figure out a rough power of your gun .

First we need to know which pellet you are using .? 

Then the height of the scope above the bore line .?

Then  centre of the barrel to centre of scope or mounts if you will ?.

From this we can estimate the point of impact on paper. For a given energy level ,at different distances. .

This is the typical energy and trajectory for 16 grn air arms field pellets. 

IMG_20180608_205711.jpg

IMG_20180608_205629.jpg

IMG_20180608_205745.jpg

So if you draw a horizontal line on  a card and place it at 25 yds. (Pace it out on the level ) 

And adjust the point of impact of the pellet so it hits the line the move the card out to 45 yds. The pellet should land about 4.6 inches lower than the line .if its giving around 11 fpe  of energy. 

With those pellets .

Tell me whay you are using and i can work out what it should do .and what it is doing if you take some measurements  

hello, over pressure can lead to poor performance until it goes down to the correct pressure then your get X amount of shots before you need to re charge, not familiar with the rifle you chose but as a guide the Air Arm S410 is 190 BAR which i filled to 180 and re filled when 20 BAR, giving 60/80 shots, as for seeing the pellets i can with my FX .22 and that is 11.8, the 410 was just the same and that was around 11. 5   

I've just picked up a newer Phox secondhand, done a full shotstring and it is lower on power than I would like, averaging about 10.4 ftlbs but super consistent for 100 shots with only 15fps variation from high to low. Your best bet is to get it tested on a chrono but don't get too stressed about power, accuracy and consistency is far more important. Having said that, the owner of the one I'm trying is going to return it to get the power turned up a little.

I'm pleasantly surprised by this little rifle though, trigger is a bit woolly and the bolt is a tad stiff but it's only had about 200 pellets through it. A day on targets will see if its worth keeping.

5 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Just take it back to your dealer and ask them to chrono it - why mess about? There is also a possibility that your friends S400 has crept over the limit - they have a habit of doing it.

I just wanted to see if it was normal first before I went in acting like I know what I’m on about to get shot down and told it’s fine lol. My shotgun has been sent back to Gmk by them so when I go collect it il take the air rifle back with me and just say I think it’s under powered can you test it.

No decent dealer would "shoot you down" - you are the customer and firmly in the driving seat :friends: - we all have to learn and we all make mistakes but a quick trip to the dealer should put your mind at rest - you could say that you just wanted to check the power level with the particular pellet that you have decided on if you are not comfortable?

You really need to own your own Chrono so you know for sure. One day it could go the other way and be over-powered. You have a legal responsibility to know what you rifle is doing.

Unfortunately it's another thing you have to buy along with the rifle. Such is the life of an air rifler.

6 hours ago, DC177 said:

You really need to own your own Chrono so you know for sure. One day it could go the other way and be over-powered. You have a legal responsibility to know what you rifle is doing.

Unfortunately it's another thing you have to buy along with the rifle. Such is the life of an air rifler.

Good advice .i second this. 

Try the rifle with that silencer. If it  is quiet, then what's the problem. The dealer probably had a Weirach one in stock:rolleyes:

Have fun ..... as said it is addictive.  I came back to shoot air after over 60yrs and I would say most of my small vermin control now is with the air rifle. Those pellets Ultrstu suggests are a good start and will do the job.  I tried three or four and eventually settled on Webley Mosquito 14.35s which shoot very accurately in my S200 and 3 magpies and 2 jackdaws yesterday afternoon will agree they do the job.

9 hours ago, DC177 said:

a very good idea once you have the money, its surprising how different each pellet and rifle can behave.

My .22 ultra likes bisley long range gold, aa field diablo and accupells.

Don't fill to the 232bar limit, about 200bar on mine and I top up before each outing. Mine is running around 10.9 ftlbs

Would definitely advise you get some sort of chronograph, my Caldwell is providing sterling service.

Listen to ultrastu, the man BSA ask for a few back when stocks get a bit low. ??Lol.

On 09/06/2018 at 09:58, eastlincs said:

Sure hel be fine, I went in with my shotgun to get some oil to take water marks off the stock and he was the one who said he’s sending back it’s not upto standard so I’m sure hel be fine with looking over the rifle.

Just out of imterest did you give the barrel a good clean? The one I picked up I just gave a quick pull through before I used it.

Earlier I decided to give it a proper clean, 10 pill throughs with a drop of white spirit then a couple of dry ones. Loads of black crud came out and the power jumped up nearer 11ftlbs.

12 hours ago, Mice! said:

A new barrel would have some sort of preservative coating to stop rust wouldn't it? Clean it out then re lead as you play about.

Yes. A new barrel or one coming back from a service should be cleaned.