Ditches strimmer reveiw

ditchman

a few days ago i flew into a serious paddy.....and i threw the old (8 year old) strimmer across the garden ....followed by serious bad language..:mad:...okay ..so it was an old Ryobi...it had done me well for a budget small machine...but it was getting to the stage where i had to fiddle with it everytime i wanted to use it.........:mad:.

AND I HAD ENOUGH.........:crazy:

i have a fair sized garden which is a wild garden....cant be bothered with beds and stuff any more....so i keep the edges tidy and let the grass grow around the trees ...and planted loads of daff's and stuff...wildflower seed mix.....and as a result i have birds.... bees...deer...partridge...squirrels...voles/....owls.....its really nice to see...:yahoo:........i have a big old acto royal sit mower...and a strimmer (ex strimmer).....as go to garden tools.............my type of gardening is govened by naked horsepower and slash an burn...........:w00t:

so i decieded to buy a Sthil strimmer...i have developed a small hernia....me belly button pops out a bit when i cough or get rid of a bit of leg gas..:lol:..so i want a machine that bloody starts when I WANT IT TO................

bought a FS 40.....the smallest in the range..27cc..............i am severly impressed...i run it at half chat its fuel effcient...quiet...light..starts everytime    ...and at £150 quid all in....cant fault it..........

there is often a strimmer thread on the forum....so i thought i would contribute.....................oh and a 2 year blanket garuntee.............

:good:

1 minute ago, Rst1990 said:

I purchased my fs90 around 3 years ago and it’s had some hard work, starts first time every time. Stihl is the way forward imho

yup they seem to have it right...and a sensible price too

12 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

Had an old Stihl strimmer brushcutter bought at a tool auction and ran for years. Sold as I bought a modern Mitox multitool for a new garden. New one is a pig to start and is so temperamental trying to balance the choke it drives you mad.

you know that is often the case......................semi decent machine..............wee poor carberattor...just turns something useful into a right pain...

Whitebridges brought along an old Robin brushcutter to fetle up...hadnt worked for years...he used to use it on cleaning out his rides.....it was a cowhandled machine.........BUT  it had a PROPER carberatter on it....one with a float and bowl...slide.....had that off cleaned the jets out..........

2nd pull goes straight onto tickover...........................job sorted ..so easy..

4 minutes ago, norfolk dumpling said:

Made the mistake of buying a couple of Ryobi items after using one which was ok and both were ****. Couldn't even find someone to repair them. Now have Husky lawnmower and Tanaka hedge cutter - both with Honda soft start engines and after 2/3 years of fairly intensive use (200yds hedge and half acre grass) no issues at ll.

some of the Ryobi stuff is utter carp..............................i do have a 45cc 8 year old chainsaw 600mm bar ryobi...that i thrash from time to time....and that is a good machine.....

Use sthil hunsky echo shindaiwa and a ryobi I ive had for over ten years. 

The ryobi is a multi head attachment powerhead pole, it’s been great. 

The Echo 420es chainsaw is very good so is the shindaiwa long reach hedge cutter. Both the Sthil and husky are the awkward ones to start for me. 

Think the newer stuff is easier to start but less long lived.