Savage WSM??

beanieboy

I know a lot has been discussed regarding this relatively new calibre and that the first issues of the Bmag were generally viewed as being pretty awful in terms of finish [or lack of it!] and general accuracy. I recently got to handle one of the newer heavy  SS barrel thumbhole laminate stock models. The stock actually felt quite nice in the hand and the rifle didn't feel overly heavy. A huge improvement on the initial flimsy plastic stock. The bolt design remains the same, ie. the mechanism cocks upon closing. One therefore needs to apply a fair amount of downward pressure when closing the bolt. This is due to the quite hefty cocking spring used in order to allow the firing pin to deal with the relatively thick rim of the WSM case and, to be fair, isn't a 'deal breaker'. I am toying with the notion of changing my HMR for one of these. However, my HMR [CZ452 American 16"] is one of the most accurate rifles I have ever owned and the overall quality seems better than the Savage. I do like the idea of the increased power of the WSM, but would be very disappointed if it proved significantly less accurate than the HMR. I don't wish to go for a 17 Hornet as I already have a 223, however the HMR/WSM calibres both seem to fit nicely between my .22lr and 223 rifles.

I would therefore like to hear from anyone using any of the Savage WSM rifles, particularly the aforementioned HB SS version. I know there are other rifles available in WSM, but they are not readily available.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the reply Steve. I'm happy enough with my 223. It is very accurate with the 40g-55g I have used thus far. I just happened to see the WSM and was pleasantly surprised as to how much things have improved from the plastic stock model with thin barrel. It would seem however that the calibre hasn't captured the interest of UK shooters as yet. Time will tell. If CZ did one, I probably wouldn't hesitate in getting one.

33 minutes ago, beanieboy said:

Thanks for the reply Steve. I'm happy enough with my 223. It is very accurate with the 40g-55g I have used thus far. I just happened to see the WSM and was pleasantly surprised as to how much things have improved from the plastic stock model with thin barrel. It would seem however that the calibre hasn't captured the interest of UK shooters as yet. Time will tell. If CZ did one, I probably wouldn't hesitate in getting one.

I liked my .223 as well (Remington 700) but had to sell it many year ago due to my finances. I was interested in the 17WSM but came across an excellent Howa 1500 .204, so went with that. More than happy with it too.

Well, you never know until you give it a go......so I've just put in a variation for one. Can't do a one on one off because WSM hasn't been designated a band yet due to the absence of our useless politicians here in N Ireland. The wait could be 4 weeks, or it could take 4 months!

Will get one when a decent rifle comes out. For me the Savage bolt interfered with the pistol grip catching my fingers. So much play in the bolt it chatters as its slid forward. It looks the part but is truly appalling. 

.204 is a great round but not legal for some quarry, .223 is more flexible. 

On 07/06/2018 at 08:51, beanieboy said:

I know a lot has been discussed regarding this relatively new calibre and that the first issues of the Bmag were generally viewed as being pretty awful in terms of finish [or lack of it!] and general accuracy. I recently got to handle one of the newer heavy  SS barrel thumbhole laminate stock models. The stock actually felt quite nice in the hand and the rifle didn't feel overly heavy. A huge improvement on the initial flimsy plastic stock. The bolt design remains the same, ie. the mechanism cocks upon closing. One therefore needs to apply a fair amount of downward pressure when closing the bolt. This is due to the quite hefty cocking spring used in order to allow the firing pin to deal with the relatively thick rim of the WSM case and, to be fair, isn't a 'deal breaker'. I am toying with the notion of changing my HMR for one of these. However, my HMR [CZ452 American 16"] is one of the most accurate rifles I have ever owned and the overall quality seems better than the Savage. I do like the idea of the increased power of the WSM, but would be very disappointed if it proved significantly less accurate than the HMR. I don't wish to go for a 17 Hornet as I already have a 223, however the HMR/WSM calibres both seem to fit nicely between my .22lr and 223 rifles.

I would therefore like to hear from anyone using any of the Savage WSM rifles, particularly the aforementioned HB SS version. I know there are other rifles available in WSM, but they are not readily available.

I owned the model you're talking about. First impressions were good, as is the finish, and the Boyds thumbhole stock. The trigger is very nice, the gun was nice to handle. Magazine and retaining catch was cheap and nasty. Anyhow, i went ahead and bought one along with 800 rounds.

The magazine was fiddly, but got easier. Partly due to me not using a rotary mag for years.

At the time i zero'd the rifle, i was also zeroing my mates Annie 1517 HMR, different mounts, but both were good quality for a rim-fire, and the scopes were identical Hawke, in the price range of £160. My wsm was very hit and miss regarding accuracy. I was very lucky to get 5 shots in a 1" group at 100 yards. (Rarely happened) I zero'd it with a rifle rest and rear bag to shoot it off the bonnet of my x-trail, which was very sturdy rest. I shot around 50 rounds altogether.

I then zero'd my mates 17 HMR Annie, (which was only £100 more) and beautifully made... I had his zero'd in minutes, and well under 1". And it was down to 3/4" very quickly and consistently.

I bedded the action which increased accuracy slightly, but out of almost every 4 shots i would get a flyer. Even when i grouped the rounds in batches by weight. Mine was ok, (checked) but a number had problems with bad crowning. After around 200 rounds i became sick of the lack of consistency and traded it back to the shop i bought it, against a 6.5CM. I also traded back the remainder of the ammo, bar half a box i still have... I lost a lot of money. Mainly as my RFD already had 3 or 4 in stock new, and the last one sold was sold to me, getting on for a year before.... In the dealers view, he believed people were holding out for the CZ version to come out.

The one thing i really hated was the bolt set-up. With the lugs being at the back of the bolt, reloading was initially like rattling a stick about in a jam jar...

Although i've heard, read and watched Rugers and a brand i've forgotten the name of, get good results with theirs. I don't recall putting mine on the chrony, but hear peoples views that many rounds didn't hit the 3000fps. Although that's just gossip...

I wouldn't do it if i were you. Or certainly not until you've bottomed out the CZ theory.

First and last Savage i'll buy. Albeit, i've heard good things about some...

Jamie 

Edited by jam1e
Spelling

I've put my variation in Jamie....too late to pull out! The newer models with the 'K' prefix serial number are supposed to be better, although I doubt if they all are. Some folk are getting superb accuracy from their Bmags, regardless of model, whilst others are lucky to get 2" groups. I suppose I'll just have to pay my money and take my chances on that one.

The bolt is indeed very different. I don't find it too much of an issue, although that may differ in the field. The magazine is a bit of an unknown quantity for me, never having used a rotary before. It certainly doesn't look to be the most robust. The rifle I'm getting has a 1:8 twist, rather than the original 1:9. Savage state that the 1:8 is more accurate, but that remains to be seen.

I'll post a full review as and when I get it and get to spend a bit of time with it.

58 minutes ago, beanieboy said:

I've put my variation in Jamie....too late to pull out! The newer models with the 'K' prefix serial number are supposed to be better, although I doubt if they all are. Some folk are getting superb accuracy from their Bmags, regardless of model, whilst others are lucky to get 2" groups. I suppose I'll just have to pay my money and take my chances on that one.

The bolt is indeed very different. I don't find it too much of an issue, although that may differ in the field. The magazine is a bit of an unknown quantity for me, never having used a rotary before. It certainly doesn't look to be the most robust. The rifle I'm getting has a 1:8 twist, rather than the original 1:9. Savage state that the 1:8 is more accurate, but that remains to be seen.

I'll post a full review as and when I get it and get to spend a bit of time with it.

Sorry, I didn't mean to pee on your parade....  If i start at the beginning... Once upon a time there were 3 little... ? Sorry couldn't help myself...

Joke aside..... Mine was the B-Mag, and a K series. Serial number K366524, and a 1 in 8". But as you say, and is right with other makes, you get good and bad models...

As for the bolt, I'm not saying it was ****. Just very different to anything I've used before....

As for the magazine, It may have been down to 'user technique' than the gun... As it had been a long while since I used one. The last being the lowly Ruger 1022 i owned quite some years back . Bearing in mind (at least I found then) most/all small components needed upgrading from new to be considered a 'reasonable rim-fire'. Along with accuracy... imo.

I'd keep an eye on the curve in the plastic of the magazine that keeps the latch springy. If it shows to be  looking white-ish or a lighter colour than the rest of the mag, and it's close to the end of the warranty, I'd get it back to the shop to question it's integrity, and have your remarks noted and copied to you. So you have something to fall back on after warranty if i breaks.

Good Luck with your B-Mag. I hope all goes well.

atb

Jamie

Always good to hear from folk who have actually used the rifle Jamie, good or bad! Doesn't say much for Savage though when quantity control seems to be down to chance! My HMR (CZ 452 American) rarely strayed beyond 1" at 100 yards, so I'll be somewhat disappointed if the WSM isn't accurate......although maybe not completely surprised.

3 hours ago, beanieboy said:

Always good to hear from folk who have actually used the rifle Jamie, good or bad! Doesn't say much for Savage though when quantity control seems to be down to chance! My HMR (CZ 452 American) rarely strayed beyond 1" at 100 yards, so I'll be somewhat disappointed if the WSM isn't accurate......although maybe not completely surprised.

Perhaps you'll get a good one... Perhaps things have improved since mine to..

Folks, for those of you also considering the Savage Bmag 17 WSM the review below from Chris Parkin [Fister on this forum] is a must read. It's by far the most comprehensive and detailed review of the rifle I have found online....and believe me, having put in a variation for this rifle, I have read lots of so called reviews that ultimately, left me 'none the wiser'.

http://www.rifleshootermagazine.co.uk/gun-tests/savage-b-mag-17-wsm-in-depth-rifle-test-and-review-1-5014404

• 3 months later...

On reflection, what you have to spend on a decent trigger for the Ruger you could put towards a moderator for the Savage. Seems the sticking point is the bolt. Although not the model I'd choose, they have one at The Sportsman up the road so I may just nip up for a shufti - certainly, I won't be looking at a fast rate of fire.

19 minutes ago, Dekers said:

What's happened beanieboy...did you get one?

Yes Dekers, have had it since June. Must say, thus far, I'm very please with it. I initially used it with a wee 6x42 Docter. Proved very accurate and definitely hits harder than my previous HMR. It is also much better in windier conditions than the HMR.

The bolt soon becomes a non issue, although I do still 'short stroke' it on the odd occasion. Ammo wise, I have only used the 20g Hornady.....that is all that is available locally. Luckily though, this has proved very accurate. The only issue I've had is a couple of failures to extract empty cases.....it appears this is an ammo issue though. The magazine takes a bit of getting used to in terms of loading, however it cycles really well and has proved very reliable.

I wasn't sure if I'd like the thumbhole stock, having only ever used traditional wooden ones, however I've come to realky like it and would consider putting one on my 223.

I currently use my WSM for night shooting....have it topped with a Photon XT 6.5x50, wich along with a Tracer F900, is excellent.

I use the Wildcat Whisper 17 that I previously used on my HMR and I don't find the WSM noticeably louder. A SAK would probably moderate just as welk, but the Whisper is much more robust and should handle the pressure better.

Overall I'm pleased with the WSM....the Savage has proved very accurate and feels very well balanced in the hand.....still consider CZ a much nicer rifle though.

30 minutes ago, beanieboy said:

Yes Dekers, have had it since June. Must say, thus far, I'm very please with it. I initially used it with a wee 6x42 Docter. Proved very accurate and definitely hits harder than my previous HMR. It is also much better in windier conditions than the HMR.

The bolt soon becomes a non issue, although I do still 'short stroke' it on the odd occasion. Ammo wise, I have only used the 20g Hornady.....that is all that is available locally. Luckily though, this has proved very accurate. The only issue I've had is a couple of failures to extract empty cases.....it appears this is an ammo issue though. The magazine takes a bit of getting used to in terms of loading, however it cycles really well and has proved very reliable.

I wasn't sure if I'd like the thumbhole stock, having only ever used traditional wooden ones, however I've come to realky like it and would consider putting one on my 223.

I currently use my WSM for night shooting....have it topped with a Photon XT 6.5x50, wich along with a Tracer F900, is excellent.

I use the Wildcat Whisper 17 that I previously used on my HMR and I don't find the WSM noticeably louder. A SAK would probably moderate just as welk, but the Whisper is much more robust and should handle the pressure better.

Overall I'm pleased with the WSM....the Savage has proved very accurate and feels very well balanced in the hand.....still consider CZ a much nicer rifle though.

:good:  Some interesting thoughts there, have we got a WSM from CZ yet, I didn't think so?

I am not impressed with the Wildcat Whisper and rate the SAK better on .22LR, HMR and WMR, but who knows about the WSM, with the higher pressure it may be better suited than a SAK on one!

Apart from gun availability which is still VERY limited, ammo choice/availability is also a problem.  I have only ever seen 1 WSM at a RFD and he only had 1 type of ammo.

Good to hear you are getting well, I'm still undecided, and have what seems a big gap between my WMR and .223, but this has never materialized into a problem in the field or I would have plugged the gap with a Hornet.  So who knows, perhaps in time I may be able to dispose of my HMR and WMR and replace with a WSM.

I get the feeling that day may still be a way off yet!

:good:

On 04/10/2018 at 08:38, beanieboy said:

A timely post. I was looking at the Ruger, but very shortly I think I may just get an offer which I simply can't refuse. Virtually on my doorstep and with ammo available. Fingers crossed.

On 12/10/2018 at 08:49, wymberley said:

A timely post. I was looking at the Ruger, but very shortly I think I may just get an offer which I simply can't refuse. Virtually on my doorstep and with ammo available. Fingers crossed.

Well, I did and didn't.

First impressions: Bearing in mind there's no scope fitted, I can't fault the bolt action - it's just like changing down a gear in a LH drive car. I'm used to shooting Ruger so the mag' is fine. But, oh dear, the synthetic stock! Fortunately, I'm in the right place at the right time (actually, there's no bad time here) and I've just acquired the last laminate thumbhole stock in the UK that isn't actually attached to an actio/barrel. And there's 500 rounds from stock with my name on them. I'm pretty sure that the stock will arrive before Devon & Cornwall come up with my variation although they're usually very good. So, patience.

Edited by wymberley

On 04/10/2018 at 08:38, beanieboy said:

I've not seen one in two pieces and as yet I've not seen the laminated TH stock. Do you reckon there's any merit in having the action bedded?

I'm not convinced that bedding the action of a rimfire makes much difference......others no doubt will disagree. I have always found rimfires to be inherently accurate.....the little 17's in particular. The HMR I traded in against the WSM was the most accurate rifle I have ever owned...0.5" at 100 yards in the right conditions, so it was with some trepidation that I made the decision to go for the WSM. Must say though, I have been pleasantly surprised. The CZ HMR was. imo, a better quality rifle, but the WSM is almost as accurate and definitely hits much harder......wind drift is also much reduced. I just wish CZ made a WSM.....