Jordan B. Peterson

Doc Holliday

I have been listening to this guy over the past couple of weeks since hearing him on Chris Evans' Breakfast Show. Although I don't agree with everything he says, he certainly knows how to handle himself in an interview. 

He's been described as a right-wing liberal. Yes, I know that's an oxymoron but have a listen to what he says in the interviews. He's very anti extreme left and he's not afraid to say how things are, not because it's what he believes it to be but because he says there is the evidence to support that's how it is.

A classic example was when being interviewed by The Economist he was asked why he thought men had an issue with women. He replied that men had an issue with women that were out of control. The interviewer then asked what he meant by women out of control to which he asked her that she must have encountered women that were bullying and vitriolic as that's how they tend to outlet their agression unless she was willing to say that women weren't agressive.

I wasn't a fan of the interviewer though (Anne McElvoy) as she seemed to have a typical Paxman approach to the interview and that gets on my wick. Rather than asking intelligent questions they all seem to want to be the one who beat down their guest and came out on top, almost like a **** measuring contest.

I'm not a fan of extreme politics as I like to think any ideas that advocate common sense should be worth hearing, irrespective of their leaning but it's refreshing to hear that those left of centre have had a gut full of the extreme left and aren't afraid to say what a bunch muppets they are. Of course, the extreme left say he is alt right but that would be like a comparing a Mormon to someone who likes a drink every now and saying they must have a drink problem.

He is the PC lefts nightmare, and that is why they constantly attempt to 'expose' him as a 'far righter' with the usual pro Trump ethos.
He is far too clever for most interviewees though, but what to me shines through, is he not only makes sense, he believes 100 % in what he is saying, and has the knowledge and background to back it up with cold, hard facts.
The Cathy Newman interview was a classic example of her attempt to make him look like a male chauvinist pig, backfiring spectacularly on her, and making her look like a deranged feminist.
There is a huge amount of stuff hes done on Youtube ,going back years, and his book '12 Reasons' although primarily aimed at a younger audience, is a cracking read, and will educate anyone.
If youve never heard of him before, and have any interest in such things, hes well worth a look.

The man always has a compelling line of argument.  It's actually rather entertaining listening to him at interview or in debate.

Right wing liberal is a perfectly valid description or position, I'm not sure how he would describe himself though, I'd guess more liberal.  People have described him as right wing as a kind of slur.

He's a breath of fresh air in my opinion. The left / social justice warriors can't stand him because he is far too clever for their ad hominem attacks. Like the OP says I don't agree with everything he says (I probably don't agree with everything any one person says) but the world is an infinitely better place with him in it. 

It really is about time that we had more balance. The backlash against the mainstream media's PC-obsessed outlook (e.g the BBC) had to happen and it's far better that it comes from the likes of Jordan Peterson, Sam Harris, Joe Rogan etc. than some of the more fringe elements who usually have too many skeletons in their cupboards. 

I recommend checking him out, I reckon most people here would like him a lot. 

On 11/06/2018 at 10:59, Thunderbird said:

He's a breath of fresh air in my opinion. The left / social justice warriors can't stand him because he is far too clever for their ad hominem attacks. Like the OP says I don't agree with everything he says (I probably don't agree with everything any one person says) but the world is an infinitely better place with him in it. 

It really is about time that we had more balance. The backlash against the mainstream media's PC-obsessed outlook (e.g the BBC) had to happen and it's far better that it comes from the likes of Jordan Peterson, Sam Harris, Joe Rogan etc. than some of the more fringe elements who usually have too many skeletons in their cupboards. 

I recommend checking him out, I reckon most people here would like him a lot. 

+1

I like him.

He is very skilled in refusing to be dragged into tit for tat slanging matches by opponents. 

He also keeps well away from parroting emotive rubbish when under pressure, which can sometimes be the achilles heel of some of the more right leaning commentators who then leave themselves open to being shut down with the usual accusations of bias.

• 2 months later...