Clover

Wooder

been watching a field on my way home from work every day this week, the field usually contains sheep, not being grazed at the momnet as growing the grass on for hay. this week I have noticed quite a few pigeons on it as there are large patches of clover, the birds are not there in the morning on my way to work, but loads there in the late afternoon, phoned the farmer got the OK to go.

never shot over clover before asume the same as shooting over any other crops ? any tips ?

I can't think of anything I would do differently. I would adopt my usual tactics.

I may have to look on one farm this weekend that normally gets several crows and pigeons on at this time of year. Clover and other bits are on the menu there.

18 hours ago, Wooder said:

been watching a field on my way home from work every day this week, the field usually contains sheep, not being grazed at the momnet as growing the grass on for hay. this week I have noticed quite a few pigeons on it as there are large patches of clover, the birds are not there in the morning on my way to work, but loads there in the late afternoon, phoned the farmer got the OK to go.

never shot over clover before asume the same as shooting over any other crops ? any tips ?

hello,  same thing on my small perm and it was the sheep field

pigeons were flighting down to 8 pm last night, if i were to shoot 8/10 shells and a bouncer, 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

As said above, they seem to be feeding later in the afternoon. The times that I've decoyed them on clover I found a rotary unnecessary and counter productive, but a flapper works well among the other decoys.

Plenty feeding on clover here in the afternoons, but all horse paddocks, so unshootable unfortunately.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

OB

The field was turned over to grass three years ago, I shot it before when it was rape stubble and always did quite well as there are a couple of strong flight lines across the field, as the is always got sheep in the field dont get to shoot it that often, I will let you know how I get on.

22 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, how did you get on Wooder?????

shooting today, just putting gear in the truck !!

18 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

Could you shoot facing East and scare :yahoo: some over my way ? :lol:

I was slightly confused when you said west in your first post, as i thought you lived over Ramsgate way!

2 hours ago, Wooder said:

shooting today, just putting gear in the truck !!

I was slightly confused when you said west in your first post, as i thought you lived over Ramsgate way!

Yes, got my East & West muddled. Thinking of prevailing wind and all that. It`s an age thing. Live in Broomfield

2 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

Come on then Wooder. We're all waiting.  How did you get on shooting on that clover ?

Nothing came over my way, so you must have shot them all.

OB

Arrived at the field about 12;30 there where a few birds down feeding. as I didn't have a key to the gate it was a case of hand balling all my gear over and walking across it across the field, not getting any younger, why do we take so much gear!! as I walked across the the field the birds got up must have been about 50, they all flew off to the trees at the far end.

set my hide up with my back to a fence at the end of an apple orchard and where the wood starts and runs along the rest of the field, set my decoys out had 15 fuds that sat on top of the clover as it was about 4 inches tall, I took 4 dead's that i had in the freezer, these had been defrosted and used about 3 times, to be honest they had seen better days. I put two on the magnet, one on a flapper and the last one on a bouncer. I set the decoys out in two groups with a gap up the middle, flapper in the left hand group and magnet to the right.

first birds came to the decoys after about 5 minutes, it was a small group of about 4  birds, shot and missed all of them. but this put up about 200 birds that milled around and eventually went off in a westerly direction (looked like they where on there way to Broomfield to the land of Bogs)

after about half an hour birds started returning, in small groups, this time I was ready and not so excited and started to account for a few. Then a women and a bloke turned up walking there dog round the field which stopped play for a bit, haven't got clue how they got in there, asked who they where and sent them on there way.

it went dead for about an hour, but at about 4 o'clock they started to come again, at about 5 o'clock the fruit farm up the road decided it was a good idea to send one of our eastern European friends down to spray the orchard with a tractor and sprayer, what ever they where putting on it stank, so packed up. 28 in the bag. if the guy with the sprayer hadn't turned up there would have been a few more. breasted some out and re-stocked the freezer with dead birds for next time. I will get on there again before they take the hay off.

5 hours ago, Wooder said:

Arrived at the field about 12;30 there where a few birds down feeding. as I didn't have a key to the gate it was a case of hand balling all my gear over and walking across it across the field, not getting any younger, why do we take so much gear!! as I walked across the the field the birds got up must have been about 50, they all flew off to the trees at the far end.

set my hide up with my back to a fence at the end of an apple orchard and where the wood starts and runs along the rest of the field, set my decoys out had 15 fuds that sat on top of the clover as it was about 4 inches tall, I took 4 dead's that i had in the freezer, these had been defrosted and used about 3 times, to be honest they had seen better days. I put two on the magnet, one on a flapper and the last one on a bouncer. I set the decoys out in two groups with a gap up the middle, flapper in the left hand group and magnet to the right.

first birds came to the decoys after about 5 minutes, it was a small group of about 4  birds, shot and missed all of them. but this put up about 200 birds that milled around and eventually went off in a westerly direction (looked like they where on there way to Broomfield to the land of Bogs)

after about half an hour birds started returning, in small groups, this time I was ready and not so excited and started to account for a few. Then a women and a bloke turned up walking there dog round the field which stopped play for a bit, haven't got clue how they got in there, asked who they where and sent them on there way.

it went dead for about an hour, but at about 4 o'clock they started to come again, at about 5 o'clock the fruit farm up the road decided it was a good idea to send one of our eastern European friends down to spray the orchard with a tractor and sprayer, what ever they where putting on it stank, so packed up. 28 in the bag. if the guy with the sprayer hadn't turned up there would have been a few more. breasted some out and re-stocked the freezer with dead birds for next time. I will get on there again before they take the hay off.

Well done mate good result from a mutch disturbed day. 

10 hours ago, Wooder said:

You did well to get that many, especially at this time of year in Kent. A pity that your day was foreshortened. However, you must be of a similar age to me as you too get confused with your West and your East. The land of Bogs is definitely not West of Faversham :no:

Thanks for posting though.

OB

On ‎08‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 08:16, dead eye alan said:

Shot clover last week with Tom started at 11.30 did not get going till 15.30 ish went well from 17.00 to 18.30 ended with 37 picked 3 lost. No young birds in bag.

Interesting to note Alan , No young birds in the bag , we are now in the second week of June and up to now I haven't shot one recently hatched pigeon , on a normal year I can expect a young un from mid / late May onwards , maybe the Beast from the east made it a couple of weeks later this year ?

12 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

You did well to get that many, especially at this time of year in Kent. A pity that your day was foreshortened. However, you must be of a similar age to me as you too get confused with your West and your East. The land of Bogs is definitely not West of Faversham :no:

Thanks for posting though.

OB

yep got me doing it now ! East

11 hours ago, marsh man said:

Interesting to note Alan , No young birds in the bag , we are now in the second week of June and up to now I haven't shot one recently hatched pigeon , on a normal year I can expect a young un from mid / late May onwards , maybe the Beast from the east made it a couple of weeks later this year ?

I had one young bird in 28