Environmental question....

ditchman

see richard "spaceman" branson has opened his gob again...............................wants ALL cars and stuff banned and turn to electric BEFORE 2040..............................

Question.............

why arnt we pursuing Hydrogen powered tractors/lorries/cars etc...........hydrogen can be used as an alternative to gas ?...it can power engines...it can power turbins which can turn electric motors.......and the by product is water vapour............

batteries arnt going to power large tractors/combins/graders constuction equip' etc..........there is a finit source of lithium/ cadminium stuff ....they need charging and for the cars alone to turn all the petrol stations into charging points how many nuclear power stations extra would we need ?......ok so hydrogen is very volitile.....so what.....invent better storage systems

am i missing something here ?

can anyone put me straight ?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When enviroloon Branson can fly to his holiday home in the West Indies in an electric plane then i might listen to the Hypocritical idiot .Does he have any plans for Virgin trains to be all electric anytime soon NO .And yes Ditchy no one is addressing these issues ,Giant tractor batteries and the electric to charge them ,giant lorry batteries are all as enviromentally friendly as a Volcano in Norwich high street .

We dont have the KW output to let all cars/lorrys/vans and buses to be electric nor the technology to yet achieve this fantasy but opening that large hole in the middle of his fizzog gets him free publicity and keeps him in the news not any concern for our planets future .

Wind turbines pointless waste of materials turned off in high winds:drool:,every house roof should have solar panels on to help increase supply but who,s going to pay for them ?

Hydrogen has been curtailed by the back handers of the oil companies but theyve got till 2040 and their market dies so maybe the should start serious development of such tech now rather than last minute as per atb 

I have similar questions, how will lorries work?
Probably they will carry on using the fossil fuels, same as taxis (black cab type) farm and military vehicles.
Electric powered planes and ships . I think not, even though the gases they create are often worse than cars with cats and dpfs.

Its BS , hit the little man, take away the independence of his car, and make him rely on public transport ?? or an electric vehicle costing twice as much as a petrol/diesel car and can do 200 miles if youre lucky.
Let Branson take a pedalo to his private island if hes that bothered about it.

4 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

What gives Branson the right to dictate policy?

the same right as paul mcarntny...and all them others..

the thing is ...with the minimum ammout of stuff in my shed i can make a hydrogen cracking plant.............and thinking of it push comes to shove.i can make a hydrogen cooker run from an inverter...12v-240............so all i need is a compressor and i can have that bubbling away 24/7...and i have got my liqiud hydrogen......

Edited by ditchman

Quite ironic just caught an old top gear ,Honda Clairity a car powered by <DRUM ROLE > hydrogen .0 to 60 in 9 seconds,top speed 100 miles and hour 270 miles on a tank ,electric motor hydrogen powered not battery and filled up in a garage no waiting overnight to recharge .So it can be done ,has been done but only sold in that bastion of not normal California .

Funny old world 

There should be 3 hydrogen powered car on sale in the uk hyundai toyota and Honda and maybe more to follow, but not too many places to fill them up!

If the government want us to stop using oil the could help out by making it possible to use an alternative, and its no good them saying that filling points will open as the need increases as no company is going to build filling stations for a hand full of cars, government are going to have to get it off the ground.

24 minutes ago, ditchman said:

the thing is ...with the minimum ammout of stuff in my shed i can make a hydrogen cracking plant.............and thinking of it push comes to shove.i can make a hydrogen cooker run from an inverter...12v-240............so all i need is a compressor and i can have that bubbling away 24/7...and i have got my liqiud hydrogen......

++++BREAKING NEWS++++

Reports coming in of MASSIVE explosion in downtown Norfolkistan, fire engines and other emergency services are in attendance.
Terrorism has not been ruled out.

Update. A previously unknown terrorist faction ,the Norfolk Independence Party Party Something, or NIPPS ,has claimed responsibility.
We will keep you updated ..

6 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

++++BREAKING NEWS++++

Reports coming in of MASSIVE explosion in downtown Norfolkistan, fire engines and other emergency services are in attendance.

Update. A previously unknown terrorist faction ,the Norfolk Independence Party Party Something, or NIPPS ,has claimed responsibility.

get outa here......................

you might be surprised as to what goes on in my shed............

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

Question.............

why arnt we pursuing Hydrogen powered tractors/lorries/cars etc...........hydrogen can be used as an alternative to gas ?...it can power engines...it can power turbins which can turn electric motors.......and the by product is water vapour............

Hmmm well... You see water vapour is approximately 10 times more potent as a greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide and there's already around 100 times as much of it in the atmosphere. That of course depends on whether you believe in man made climate change and the greenhouse effect generally.

48 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

++++BREAKING NEWS++++

Latest reports say the blast has made £2 million worth of improvements. 

39 minutes ago, Westward said:

Hmmm well... You see water vapour is approximately 10 times more potent as a greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide and there's already around 100 times as much of it in the atmosphere. That of course depends on whether you believe in man made climate change and the greenhouse effect generally.

You mean clouds?
Wont it just rain more ?

Edited by Rewulf

hydrogen is LESS flammable than petrol vapour (has higher ignition temperature) and volume for volume is less explosive (less energy released per litre burned.....)

The only reason everyone is afraid of it is because of the Hindenburg...now...exactly WHAT do you think will happen if you take a huge ballon full of hydrogen and coat it with thermite??????

thats right a stray static spark ignites the thermite coating and................

the "silver" paint on the hindenburg and its sisters was a mix of aluminium and iron oxide....AKA........thermite......oooops....

oh and Ditchman...you dont need to liqyuify it either...there are some interesting materials that will absorb far more than their own volume of hydrogen under a reasonable pressure, releasing it as the pressure is reduced......get inventing.......

My understanding is that the storage issues are tricky (but no more impractical than batteries), the calorific value rather low compared to traditional fuels (so you need to transport a huge amount of it), and it takes a vast amount of electricity to make useful amounts of hydrogen. As such, given you have to come up with the energy in electricity first for most situations why not just use said electricity.

Biofuels will be where we end up though I reckon, if we get control of the worlds overpopulation issues in time.