Pigeon Fix

Clodhopper

Having had 3 very quiet weeks with no pigeon shooting yesterday was pencilled in as a possibilty. Work, family commitments and lack of suitable opportunities were the main reasons for the enforced lay off but we had found a field of well grown peas that had a good line into it, the weather looked good and I had a day off. Alas when we arrived at the field the line had dwindled and the birds had gone to pastures new.

JDog had a reserve up his and we travelled the short distance to find about 150 feeding on some newly sprouting peas. This field was a pig to shoot as it had a footpath running diagonally across it. We set up as near the flightline as we could safely do so with a few plastics and a couple of dead birds, 1 being on the flapper.  First bird was in before I had my gun out,  JDog being more senior and wise was ready and he dropped it, things looked promising. After this the birds did not decoy and preferred to lazily drift to a mixed wood at the northern end of the field. From here some would drop down to feed whilst the rest just sat up and pulled every bird entering the field. They had to go. We decided we would walk them out of the wood and hopefully push them off in to the village.

This worked to some degree and as birds returned they decoyed better, we had a few shots, even managing to get some on the ground. The return never really got going and at 6pm it was time to pack up. There was still a steady trickle of birds coming in, JDog had previously watched feeding until 9pm. But again family duties called so.we left them to it. We picked 15 birds for the 2 hours we had shooting. Not many but it was nice to be out with the gun again and to round it off the old dog had a couple of nice retrieves,  not sure how many more he will have but he enjoyed it.

7 hours ago, kenholland said:

that's still better than me , 4 hours yesterday over savoy cabbage for 3 pigeon , mind you when I got there he had put a couple of flying hawks up so that didn't help just dropped them to the ground then put back up when I had finished .

Seems to be the way at the minute, we have birds around just cannot seem to pin them down on one particular field. I have a f ield of rape they are showing interest in again so that may well be my next port of call.

Nice report all the same, and miles better than my morning, missed one pigeon, got one gull, saw 2 foxes, a hare,6 Mallard and 3 rabbits. Met the farm manager who said he will let me know when the next grass fields are being cut.

Edited by getthegat
Incorrect spelling