Spider / Woodlouse

steve_b_wales

This is the first time I've seen a spider killing (or trying to kill) a woodlouse. I watched it for ages, and it seemed like the spider was having a hard time trying to get it's fangs into the woodlouse's body.

The spider eventually dragged the woodlouse (still alive) under our wooden fence.

SPIDER WOODLOUSE.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I once came home to my wife with a drinks bottle containing a spider with large fangs, Natural History museum told us it was a woodlouse eating spider after a reptile and exotic spider selling pet shop didn't have a clue.

Apparently the shells are very hard for other arachnids to get through as you witnessed. When you look at the fangs this thing has to get through the shell, makes you shiver.

Steve any idea what spider it is you took a pic of, hairy little blighter.

Image result for woodlouse eating spider

Edited by figgy

love watching spiders do there thing, think my kids were the only ones made up on holiday because they spotted a cockroach on the street, something that looked like a giant shield bug and a souped up woodlouse, they were both sat cross legged on the stairs watching it climb the wall, don't know where they get it from?  and two small gecko ? 

On 17/06/2018 at 12:59, figgy said:

I once came home to my wife with a drinks bottle containing a spider with large fangs, Natural History museum told us it was a woodlouse eating spider after a reptile and exotic spider selling pet shop didn't have a clue.

Apparently the shells are very hard for other arachnids to get through as you witnessed. When you look at the fangs this thing has to get through the shell, makes you shiver.

Steve any idea what spider it is you took a pic of, hairy little blighter.

Image result for woodlouse eating spider

I don't have a clue what spider it was. I didn't get a good look at it because it dragged the woodlouse under the fence. I wasn't big though, and didn't look anything like the one in your photo.