Handing in rifles

Daz1986

I am a little taken back that one of my shooting buddies has been asked to hand in his firearms and shot guns to a local gun dealer for keeping and hand in his fac due to his ex hitting him in the brave and the police being called!! 

First question is! How can this be right that she has been charged and he has to hand them in!

Second! How does he appeal this??

Thirdly. Has anyone here encountered such issues 

Any info is very greatful due to me being asked and I have total lack of knowledge here!!

I had the same some years back, I was happy they were out of the way for a while as it meant she couldn't get at them or accuse me of anything.

Was only a week or so and never affected anything else. My guns were actually taken by the police but returned before she had left (chucked out) so they weren't that bothered at the time. I think they soon decided she was the psycho not me. :D

The Police seem to have a new "hot topic" called "risk assessment" - they may well have decided after what happened that there is some "risk" of your friend going off and retaliating with his firearms? Regardless of how incredible that may seem to him or you, especially as it sounds like he is the victim of his Ex's attitude/violence - it seems like he is now being abused by officialdom?

I do not think they (the police) have fully got a grip of how risk assessment is really done looking at probability, severity and the likely outcome, as an example in industry the likelihood of someone cutting their finger whilst working in many industries is quite high, however the severity of this is low (you will not be likely to die - just stick a band aid on?). this "Risk" could be mitigated or eliminated by training or PPE as an example wearing sturdy protective gloves. With training people and with the PPE in place this risk would be deemed ALARP (As low as reasonably practicable) and TOLERABLE ? Conversely a builder walking  off a roof could kill a person and would be INTOLERABLE - lots of steps are now taken to mitigate or eliminate this risk - there are LOTS of regulations about working at height and scaffolding has to be erected and certified by approved people? These days it will have kickboards and may be netted in to stop people from falling off a building under construction or repair. You may well have to wear a harness and be hooked on at all times to achieve ALARP status?

I think the police currently work to  formula of something like: Person + Firearm + Emotive Relationship Issues = High and Intolerable risk of serious violence or death = INTOLEREABLE, whilst not taking into account the persons true nature - its a bit of a "scorched earth policy" where inconvenience to your friend takes a bck seat to what they believe is necessary for public safety?

Putting firearms in storage will cost your friend - you could perhaps help him by taking his shotguns if you have space?

I wouldn't argue the case assuming any separation is resolved quickly and nothing stupid is done by him, then I would expect he would be given his ticket back? I wpuld be getting in toush with his shooting association and getting some advice from them though?

Good luck to your friend!

I understand the factor behind why they would. As for storing his guns! I have all his slots open on my ticket however he has been told they must go to his local shop for storage! 

I totally understand the risk side of things just a little taken back in to how they won't allow him to store in a friend's free of change.. 

Hopefully it's resolved for him asap

I got an incredible telling off from the police for not informing them when I got divorced. Despite there being no issues, I put the guns into storage but only told them I was moving house. I was told I had breached the terms of my FAC

Edited by Vince Green

When my ex left I had a visit to check I was of sound mind. I was put on antidepressants but still kept my guns.

a year later she was punched in the face by her boyfriend and he was locked up but they still rang me to inform me if we get back together they’ll remove my ticket.

i laughed and said no chance of that .

my mate got with her and kept his ticket ??? 

I'd get ur mate to get proper advice from his org.

While it is completely wrong to take his guns (i can see there flawed logic behind it). The polis are just trying to take ur guns off u at every oportunity nowadays, just not right.

They don't come round and take ur kitchen knifes, axes, hammers, chainsaws etc off u when u split up with ur bird. And be far more domestic abuse/assults caused by kitchen knifes and hammers

Possibly guns  need to be at an RFD so there is a record of them being stored, if at a mates house u have have ur mates word he had ur guns on such anc=d such a date? But never heard of that before.

I'd get proper advice if ur handing ur tickets back thou, i'm sure i had read something about it a while back possibly effect future renewals as uhanded it in. Can't see any harm in keeping ur tickets going even if ur guns are in storage

Edited by scotslad

1 hour ago, Daz1986 said:

I understand the factor behind why they would. As for storing his guns! I have all his slots open on my ticket however he has been told they must go to his local shop for storage! 

I totally understand the risk side of things just a little taken back in to how they won't allow him to store in a friend's free of change.. 

Hopefully it's resolved for him asap

Because he would still have access to them ?

I think since the Atherton case police tend to err on the side of caution, though I'm led to believe ( as an ex copper informed me ) they have no authority to seize a ticket holders firearms unless a claim has been made against the ticket holder, as was the case with Atherton.....as soon as she withdrew her claim his firearms were returned, if i recall. 

When my ex and me split up I informed my FEO and asked if it was necessary for me to store my firearms, and was told no, unless I thought she was going to get ******. 

Firstly your mate being told to hand in his guns to a rfd and surrender his fac dose not make any sense. If the police had any doubt of his involvement in the domestic,then they would have removed his firearms ammo fac ect on the spot, and they would be kept in storage at his local police station, then he would have the choice to have them sent to his local rfd at a cost of his own.

My advice would be his first port of call should be to get in contact with the firearms team at basc and inform them of the situation,if he is a existing member and qualifies they have a fund that will help him cover the cost of any appeal.

A shooting buddy of mine has just been through a similar situation and had this happen and after 9months of head ache has just received his fac and rifles returned to him.

Edited by welshgun

Probably sensible to have them removed, it means no accusations can be levelled at him involving the guns.

He is fortunate to be able to take his guns to a local Gun Dealer to hold. An acquaintance of mine had his seized in a similar situation and when he got them back from the Police the woodwork was marked, a scope was missing and a bolt. No amount of complaints got the Police to do anything about it.

2 hours ago, team tractor said:

When my ex left I had a visit to check I was of sound mind. I was put on antidepressants but still kept my guns.

a year later she was punched in the face by her boyfriend and he was locked up but they still rang me to inform me if we get back together they’ll remove my ticket.

i laughed and said no chance of that .

my mate got with her and kept his ticket ??? 

Your “mate” sounds like the sharp end of a needle 

A friend of mine had a falling out with his other half (she was an evil bitch), he put his guns in to storage and it turned out he did the right thing as only a week or so later she accused him of rape and threatening her with a gun! When the police turned up he just showed them the ticket from the rfd and an empty cabinet.  

3 hours ago, Cranfield said:

Probably sensible to have them removed, it means no accusations can be levelled at him involving the guns.

He is fortunate to be able to take his guns to a local Gun Dealer to hold. An acquaintance of mine had his seized in a similar situation and when he got them back from the Police the woodwork was marked, a scope was missing and a bolt. No amount of complaints got the Police to do anything about it.

had mine seized in similar circumstances and as above in a shocking condition when I got them back. 2 x air rifles damaged beyond use. Also as above police would do nothing about it.

Indeed, but that will take time and effort. More than enough time to think about what you're doing if you have ill intent. Removes firearms from a potentially flammable situation. Pretty sensible.

Surrendering your fac is saying you no longer believe yourself to be suitable to hold firearms. A very different prospect. 

Hence why I said I would be taking advice... 

I'm with Lord v above, i definately would be taking proper legal advice.

I think it is really harsh to even put guns into RFD, but i can see the reason behind it and not a silly idea if mallicousy allegations are made..

But to hand ur tickkets in means u can't even go shooting, (stalk or round of clays) how long will the domestic situation carry on+ time for a new grant of tickets.

U could be talking about no shooting for months if not years throu absolutely no fault/blame  of ur own.

If u do book ur gun out for a shot it will be documented by RFD so if an allegation is made then u may have a problem while its out but otherwise i can't see an issue

If you’ve got the money to hire a brief and make a point then go for it; it would be a brilliant piece of pro shooting propaganda and a poke in the eye for undemocratic police policy, but if you’re fully dependant on your shooting org’ fighting your corner over this issue, then forget it. 

2 hours ago, Scully said:

If you’ve got the money to hire a brief and make a point then go for it; it would be a brilliant piece of pro shooting propaganda and a poke in the eye for undemocratic police policy, but if you’re fully dependant on your shooting org’ fighting your corner over this issue, then forget it. 

this