Car puncture repair kits?

Big Mat

I have done a few - mainly on twin axle box trailer wheels. Piece of cake. Getting tyre off the rim was the hardest part. I made a little frame and used a bottle jack to press the tyre off the rim. Take out the screw, make the hole slightly larger, glue on inside of tyre, pull tyre plug through. Flatten it out to ensure decent contact. Refit tyre, inflate and cut off excess plug.

Not really worth it, usually only cost about 10 quid to fix.

Didn't think plugs were road legal anymore??

Plugged plenty of quad/utv/tractor and off road trailer tyres thou and usually have a kit with me but wouldn't do it on roads tyres.

With the plug kits u don't need to take tyre off rim anyway

4 hours ago, scotslad said:

Didn't think plugs were road legal anymore?? 

Really?  A few days ago, a relative took her car, which had a slow puncture, to the local garage who normally service the vehicle. Turned out to be a nail, still embedded. I went to pick it up for her, and arrived just as they were plugging the hole in the normal manner . £15. It's a reputable garage. I am disinclined to think they would do anything illegal - especially not so openly, in front of the customer.

Just to clarify, they put the plug in from the inside, ie the  tyre was off the wheel. I suppose it is possible there was  an internal patch also - or a combi plug. In Africa, the PHs used to repair the Toyota pick-up tyres from the outside, with a needle and plug, just like we repair quad tyres here. They seemed to regard such repairs as permanent and sometimes used to use the same vehicles at speed on motorways. Most of the time, of course they were on tracks or off road, but you can imagine the knocks on rocks etc that those tyres took.  

Incidentally, it's good to see the EU-inspired compressor-and-goop nonsense in new cars is finally beginning to fade, after myriad customer complaints over recent years. Subaru are one of the few that always provide a full size spare. Too many still have space savers.

Pretty sure it used to be legal 20 odd years ago (atleast that was wot i was told) but now they always put a patch on the inside.

To be honest the money most folk invest in cars and some cases tyres why scrimp on a puncture repair? I wouldn't fancy my homemade repair giving way coming down the Mway

Most tyre places will still plug tractor/quad tyres from the utside

On 10/06/2018 at 20:30, figgy said:

You can do what you like if your repairing your own tyres. Tyre repair places have a standard they must adhere to. 

If it’s only a nail or small puncture a repair kit with drill abrasive plug and glue should work fine. 

That's all I use and have ever done. Pick up a set of eBay for less than a tenner. One has been in for over 2 years as it happened to a brand new tyre. If it's bigger than a m10 bolt, go from the inside, anything smaller I always do from the outside. 

You can get repair kits off the Bay that work very well, without taking the tyre off. In most cases you don't even have to take the wheel off.

I first came across them in Walmart in the States. The kit has a T handle rasp. A T handle applicator and a set of rubber worms. Pull the screw or nail out,  push the rasp in and out half a dozen times, push the worm in and set it by pulling the applicator out sharply. Trim off the outside bit of the worm and job done. Works out at about 50p and the kit lasts for years.

Only works for tread punctures.

I have used it on cars and my pickup.

Always keep a set in the glove box.

Never had a fail and I have run tens of thousands of miles on them afterwards.

Asda use to sell them in their motoring section, don't know if they still do?

I use Dynaplug. Brilliant bit of kit. takes seconds to fix a nail puncture and is permanent. I have fix motorcycle and car punctures with dynaplug and have driven thousands of miles on the repaired tyre. Check out their website and youtube videos, no drilling or rasping required. Made and sold in America for donkeys years. get mine off t'internet.

On 11/06/2018 at 10:42, scotslad said:

Pretty sure it used to be legal 20 odd years ago (atleast that was wot i was told) but now they always put a patch on the inside.

To be honest the money most folk invest in cars and some cases tyres why scrimp on a puncture repair? I wouldn't fancy my homemade repair giving way coming down the Mway

Most tyre places will still plug tractor/quad tyres from the utside

Simply because it's something I'm more than capable of doing myself, and I want to be able to get a repair done at odds times of the day! I've not got time to drive around to get them repaired as I've too much to do! 

8 hours ago, stu64 said:

I use Dynaplug. Brilliant bit of kit. takes seconds to fix a nail puncture and is permanent. I have fix motorcycle and car punctures with dynaplug and have driven thousands of miles on the repaired tyre. Check out their website and youtube videos, no drilling or rasping required. Made and sold in America for donkeys years. get mine off t'internet.

That looks like just the sort of thing I'm after! 

20 hours ago, Saltings said:

hi mat been using the liquorish type (dynaplug) strings for years without any problems have a pack in all family vehicles less than a tenner for a kit cant go wrong as long as the repair is within the tread pattern  

Have you a link to the ones you use please?

17 hours ago, Saltings said:

Just seen it thanks, I have ordered one to put in the glove box, just in case. 

that's what I use. Might be over kill but I used nearly a tube of the glue on one repair to make sure. Also when I chuck the kit on my bike, I've got a co2 canister which you connect to the tyre. About same size as the airgun ones but it has a screw thread and a turn valve. Single use but has got me home safely so worth the money 

5 hours ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Just seen it thanks, I have ordered one to put in the glove box, just in case. 

didn't know these things existed, just ordered one too, having had punctures in the past its a right pain going somewhere to get it repaired.