Car insurance renewal cheaper than last year!!!

paul1966

i was quite surprised when i had an email from tesco car insurance last night inviting me to re new, reading the quote it was £22 cheaper than last year, this is the first time ever this has happened, its usually about £30 more. i have read insurance is coming down due to the reduction in whiplash claims so that may be why, has this happened to anyone else?

Both my motor policy (3 cars) and household/home policy have reduced this year.  Not by a great deal, but better than nothing.  I did try some years ago on comparison sites, and the prices I was quoted were for an 'example', the best being a 'multicar policy'.  When I actually started to get the policy ....... all of a sudden, there were extras, problems, etc., and the final quote was much higher than the initial indication, so I stayed with my old company. 

Can't remember all the details now, but they wouldn't include my Defender when it was off road (which my present company specifically does), and there were surcharges for some part of business use (that again my present company allows).

2 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

Saved £3 this year. 

Spandit hope you are okay, cars can be replaced.. 

Bit shaken and ****** off but not seriously injured. Fortunately no-one else was involved and I hit an inconsequential tree which set the airbags off. Had a rear tyre blow out and it sent me skidding off the road.

10 hours ago, paul1966 said:

i was quite surprised when i had an email from tesco car insurance last night inviting me to re new, reading the quote it was £22 cheaper than last year, this is the first time ever this has happened, its usually about £30 more. i have read insurance is coming down due to the reduction in whiplash claims so that may be why, has this happened to anyone else?

wouldnt hold yer breath.............when i went with Saga.it was a superb deal.....next year it went down by £10 quid...and i truly thought there was a god in heaven.............the next year it went up £180 quid.............i had a right old barney with them told them to inseminate themselves....and they are still sending me quotes even now.........

49 minutes ago, spandit said:

Bit shaken and ****** off but not seriously injured. Fortunately no-one else was involved and I hit an inconsequential tree which set the airbags off. Had a rear tyre blow out and it sent me skidding off the road.

Ah, so you became a passenger then. Good to hear you're okay. 

10 hours ago, ditchman said:

wouldnt hold yer breath.............when i went with Saga.it was a superb deal.....next year it went down by £10 quid...and i truly thought there was a god in heaven.............the next year it went up £180 quid.............i had a right old barney with them told them to inseminate themselves....and they are still sending me quotes even now.........

Yer, always a problem when you over 80 :lol:

1 hour ago, la bala said:

Yer, always a problem when you over 80 :lol:

now that is some serious abuse...............at least i dont have back problems like you...everytime you bend down outside Tesco's to pick a few coppers up....you take that long someone parks their bike twixt the cheeks of yer bum....:oops:

Paul1966 - insurance pricing is very complicated and the reason(s) yours has dropped could be one or more of the following:

- you and your car are older

- last year or at inception the price was what they could get away with in the market. There may be more competition now for your risk

- Tesco may be losing business and have priced better risks to stop them looking elsewhere

- it may be as was suggested, for some risks the whiplash situation affects your area more. Are you in the M62 corridor? 

Or any combination of above!