Pump or Semi?

PPP

I have an FAC semi which I can’t use for wild-fowling, I curious as to whether I should convert it back to three shot and by a FAC pump for Vermin or whether to buy 3 shot pump for wildfowling.

Aprreciate thoughts

If you can not load more than two in the mag its legal for fowling re the law, now what the terms on your FAC are i have no idea. But a plug will make it legal as they used to be after the 81 wildlife and countryside act.

Saves buying another gun if you can use it on your conditions or get them amended.

Shop around and pick up a second hand Rem 870 Wingmaster.   If you do, then I have a 30 inch full choke wildfowling barrel to fit which I would sell to you  ???? £50 ?????

It is fixed heavy choke and no rib, but I have killed a load of ducks with it in the past but it has not been used for maybe 15yrs. 

4 hours ago, scolopax said:

Thirty years wildfowling and I have never seen anyone use a pump action. Lots of auto's but do not discount a double barrel shotgun. The third shot has little benefit and might even be a disadvantage IMO.

I used a Remington M870 wingmaster for maybe 10 years up until the lead ban and I went over to a side by side 10 bore. 

If I was going for cheap I think I'd go pump over semi. That said you do see some nice M1100's going for around the £200/250 mark. 

Edited by ClemFandango

5 hours ago, scolopax said:

Thirty years wildfowling and I have never seen anyone use a pump action. Lots of auto's but do not discount a double barrel shotgun. The third shot has little benefit and might even be a disadvantage IMO.

Take your point but I’d like a pump for either wildfowling or Vermin shooting, I already have one semi auto

6 hours ago, scolopax said:

Unless you enjoy shooting triples, of course.

8 hours ago, scolopax said:

The only triple at teal (i.e. one dead at each 3 shots) I've had on the foreshore was with a Benelli Super Nova pump ...

Which was nice.:good:

23 hours ago, PPP said:

Sorry, didn’t explain that very well, I need an FAC shotgun for Vermin control so can’t use one gun.

is semi auto or pump better for wildfowling?

No and i did not word my reply very well either .

To be able to legaly use a pump or semi for wildfowling.

You must have a gun unable to load more than two in the magazine. This dates back to 1981 The wildlife and countryside act.

So with your FAC semi auto all you need to do is fit a wooden restriction plug in the mag effectively restricting its capacity.

You can simply remove it anytime you want for vermin.

Now one area you might need to ensure you comply with the law is i regarding the terms and conditions on your FAC, It might be you need to contact the police explain what you want to do and get the condition amended to include waterfowl when fitted with a removable mag restriction.

This way your one semi auto does both jobs for the price of a piece of wooden dowel and 30 seconds with a saw.

6 hours ago, B B said:

No and i did not word my reply very well either .

To be able to legaly use a pump or semi for wildfowling.

You must have a gun unable to load more than two in the magazine. This dates back to 1981 The wildlife and countryside act.

So with your FAC semi auto all you need to do is fit a wooden restriction plug in the mag effectively restricting its capacity.

You can simply remove it anytime you want for vermin.

Now one area you might need to ensure you comply with the law is i regarding the terms and conditions on your FAC, It might be you need to contact the police explain what you want to do and get the condition amended to include waterfowl when fitted with a removable mag restriction.

This way your one semi auto does both jobs for the price of a piece of wooden dowel and 30 seconds with a saw.

Hey, unfortunately it has to be one or the other to be on one license or another otherwise your idea would be great and I’d just switch mag tube as needed...  however your idea is way to sensible so our licensing overlords won’t get it ( and the elongated spring in +8 mag is a ****** to fiddle with)

Thanks for your advice, I think I gave landed on a cheap wildfowling pump

8 hours ago, Tollerman said:

If you convert your pump back to three shot it will need to be re-proofed.I was quoted £160 for the complete job.Was a big mistake converting it from three to five shot (fac) a couple of years ago.

20 quid here as I still have old tube but a pita to keep switching...

11 hours ago, PPP said:

Hey, unfortunately it has to be one or the other to be on one license or another otherwise your idea would be great and I’d just switch mag tube as needed...  however your idea is way to sensible so our licensing overlords won’t get it ( and the elongated spring in +8 mag is a ****** to fiddle with)

Thanks for your advice, I think I gave landed on a cheap wildfowling pump

It is  daft you cant use it  i would ASK BASC!

Edited by lancer425