Same recoil - 12g vs 20g??

rich_morris

Hi,

If using gun of equivalent weight, would the recoil of a 20b and 12b both using 21gram cartridges be more ore less the same?

I ask, as I am thinking about swapping my sons hatsan 20g semi for an OU. But not sure if to stick with 20g (he's using 21gram carts) or try a 12g, and use the same 21gram cartridges that I do.

Ill need to cut the stock down for him, or get a youth gun either way.

Rich

5 minutes ago, bornfree said:

The laws of physics say that an equal weight gun firing the same load should give an equal recoil. But I think the 12g will be smoother.

Thanks, that was my initial thought, but then I wondered how much effect the reduced bore diameter would have, in terms of the resistance offered to the acceleration of the mass of the shot.

Maybe it's inconsequential. Maybe it's noticeable.

Rich

Don't forget that the 20 bore he has is a gas operated semi auto and will therefore have reduced recoil over the O/U anyway. I recently shot a 100 bird shoot using my newly acquired  Browning 20 bore O/U weighing under 7 lbs., I used 24 and 28 gram cartridges. I did feel a bit sore the next day, but I have now fitted a rubber pad on the stock in place of the plastic one,  in an effort to reduce the felt recoil, I will also be sticking with 24 grams too. If he is big enough build to be able to handle a 12 bore and stick with 21 gram cartridges, then that is the way that I would go. When you get the stock shortened, ask for the cut off piece so you can fit it back later (as he grows), you might also consider a Kick-Eeze pad or similar, they can help.

17 hours ago, welshwarrior said:

20 semi 12 OU is apples and oranges as if the semi is gas operated it will use recoil energy to cycle reducing recoil.  

But like for like it’ll be the same however your likely to find 21g 12 bores a touch smoother.  

Yes, I agree that 20b semi to 12 bore OU is not necessarily apples for apples.

He has been shooting for a while with the 20b semi, and its been fine for him. He suffers no problems from the recoil etc. However, the semi in question has had a few hiccups recently, and that slightly spoils his enjoyment if we have to keep rescuing half ejected/half loaded cartridges. A couple of times its completely failed to fire, and had to be stripped/re-assembled. I've never really found the issue, but re-assembly seems to fix it....I've just given it a very through clean (see my other post on that topic :-o) to see if that helps.

So, I was thinking I would try a 20b OU next with light 21g cartridges. A slight increase in gun weight, and recoil is expected. He tried a 20b Lanber in the shop - it was way too long in the stock, but he seemed ok with the weight.

Then it dawned on me, that I had been using 21gram cartridges recently - would that not offer identical recoil to a 20bore firing the same weight? All subject to the gun being manageable for him. Maybe just skip the 20g and go straight to 12g?

I completely do not want to put him off shooting by giving him a too heavy gun, or getting him kicked around by recoil, but also do not want him to loose interest because of his current gun reliability... (at his age, I had a 20b SxS)

Regards

Rich

There is a very wide choice of cartridges in a 12, and whilst some semi autos may not reliably cycle the lowest recoil, and O/U will digest anything low.  I use Hull Comp X or Fiocchi TTi21 (both 21g) in light 12's and they are very pleasant to use.

There are also specifically 'low recoil' 12 loads that are slightly lower velocity as well as being a light load, and are very smooth - and the (slightly) lower velocity is not noticeable on clays.  They might lack striking energy at longer ranges on live quarry.

On 10/06/2018 at 16:03, rich_morris said:

Hi,

If using gun of equivalent weight, would the recoil of a 20b and 12b both using 21gram cartridges be more ore less the same?

I ask, as I am thinking about swapping my sons hatsan 20g semi for an OU. But not sure if to stick with 20g (he's using 21gram carts) or try a 12g, and use the same 21gram cartridges that I do.

Ill need to cut the stock down for him, or get a youth gun either way.

Rich

Stick with the 20

Gun weight shot charge velocity look on the face of it the same, but 20 and 12 use different powder charges generally different powders and how these powders work in the different bore sizes etc. Lots more than just gun mass and shot weight to felt recoil.

Kids grow up fast let them take up the 12 when and if they chose to, But for now i think that Hatsan as it covered..

Edited by lancer425

7 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

Stick with the 20

Gun weight shot charge velocity look on the face of it the same, but 20 and 12 use different powder charges generally different powders and how these powders work in the different bore sizes etc. Lots more than just gun mass and shot weight to felt recoil.

Kids grow up fast let them take up the 12 when and if they chose to, But for now i think that Hatsan as it covered..

Hi,

If the hatsan worked flawlessly, I wouldn’t swap it for a bit. It’s got plenty of room for him to grow into, with the extra stock spaces.

But it has jammed a quite a bit recently. Either failed to eject, or to load the next cartridge properly. Plus a couple of times it’s failed to fire a loaded cartridge. I’ve had to strip it down on the side of the clay stand to get it working.

I’ve got it booked in for a bit of work to be done in it.

There’s a used Miroku local to me, that might me worth a try. And then a number of cheap 20g over and unders from Yildiz, ZOFS etc. 

Rich