Tool idea for gutters / truffins.

redial

Facebook usually has someone near you doing that sort of thing for not much money. Search it for a "spotted" group in the area you live in for example,  if you live in Luton type >spotted Luton< into your search bar. You need to join it to post. You can ask if anyone is doing it - or you might find somebody already advertises. :https://www.facebook.com/SpottedLutonTown/ 

You can often find a smaller area name too - such as a local estate.

A ladder stand off attachment is usually a good idea to save you leaning out to reach over the guttering if you decide to get a longer ladder.

Edited by Dave-G

1 hour ago, scotslad said:

By the looks of the waay its threaded ur meant to push it along the gutter adding more draining rods?

there is another one that is telescopic..goes to 4 metres.........bloody expensive tho...£94 ............

The window cleaner here does gutters and windows £25 all in. Usually get it done around now and that seems to sort them until the weather turns bad enough they are wet permanently! he will also re clip any pipes that are loose or have shifted 

Also for £25 I would rather he takes the risk of crocking himself than me. 

Edited by ph5172

My window cleaner charges £15 to do both front and back! 

I now do my own, as can clean the solar panels when up there too :good: if you buy a set of longer ladders they are an investment! Just think of all the other jobs you can do. I have even done the neighbours gutters with mine, and they put my bins out or away when I am at work. 

Like others I also suggest getting a longer ladder because no kind of extension is going to let you see how well you've cleaned the runs or what you've left behind; letting window cleaners take the strain also sounds like a good plan for the kind of money they charge BUT when it comes to the right tool nothing comes close to a good leaf blower ?, mine makes short work of the tight joint between the round and flat roof section of the conservatory which fills with dirt and dead leaves and would be near impossible to clean by hand, a jet wash will work but is messy and hard to set up in all kinds of ways plus the danger of causing leaks, the leaf blower just blows the stuff away and works really well on the gutters too. 

Hi Redial,

I'm sorry not to have any positive ideas, but Hamster's idea of a leaf blower seems a good one if you can get up there with it

I was more interested in the title of your post i.e. 'Gutter/Truffins. Not heard the word 'truffin' for a long time and that was used by an old friend who I think came from Shropshire. I therefore assume that it is your localised name for gutter. I think that it's a rather good name. A bit like 'Gratten' being the term used for a stubble field in my part of Kent.

OB

15 hours ago, Lord Geordie said:

My window cleaner charges £15 to do both front and back! 

I now do my own, as can clean the solar panels when up there too :good: if you buy a set of longer ladders they are an investment! Just think of all the other jobs you can do. I have even done the neighbours gutters with mine, and they put my bins out or away when I am at work. 

Bl........day hell. Our window cleaner only charges a fiver

18 hours ago, billytheghillie said:

buy a gutter hedgehog, stops all the leafs.

I have fitted these and find them a very mixed blessing;

The do stop most of the leaves.

The also reduce the gutter flow rate considerably.  My lower gutter, which copes OK with heavy downpours - overflowed badly with the hedgehog (it is high capacity deepflow gutter).  Since this is only single story, I took the hedgehog out and went back to cleaning, which is quite easy there.  The high level gutter suffers similarly, but is very hard to get to (on second story above a single storey extension), so I have left that and it copes in all but the worst downpours, but I believe it is clogging with seeds smaller and other tree trash which get between the bristles.  Once in there - they are impossible to easily clean out and reduce flow still further.  I suspect cleaning will be needed less often, but be much harder to do when needed.

2 minutes ago, martyn2233 said:

Clean them and buy these

I had (similar) for some years.  Great for the first couple of years, then the moss sits on them and grows around the mesh - then seeds fall on the moss, germinate and the roots go down ...... and clogs the whole thing up - and is very tedious to get out.  Just like a miniature hydroponic growth system!

If you are in a moss free place, they may be fine, but mine ended up in the bin, as they just provided a seed bed in the moss for all manner of grasses, sycamores etc, and grew every seed blown on the wind!

8 hours ago, ehb102 said:

Please, what's a truffin? It's not listed in the OED.

It's a regional Shropshire term for gutter. You won't find it in the OED and Mr. Google's not heard of it either. Rather quaint I think. 

Anyone else got any localised terminology, but keep it clean.

OB