Browning Citori witrh an odd serial number

Zetter

This is more for interests sake than anything else but I have a well loved Citori fixed choke with the serial number 40379 down the barrel its got the usual FN stuff and then made in Japan.

I have checked the browning website and no one of the information on dates for the Citori seem to match the serial number on my gun. As Pigeon Watch is a wealth of knowledge I wonder if anyone has any idea as to the guns age?

Cheers Zetter

17 hours ago, JJsDad said:

Is the same number reproduced on the top strap beneath the opening lever ? Or anywhere else on the inside of the action.

Hi Ya

Nope no other numbers at all I can see on the action on the one beneath the opening lever

Cheers Neil

Hi.

While the good lady was watching the `soaps` yesterday evening, I amused myself by searching the web to try to make sense of your Citori serial number. I may well have just repeated what you have already done, but I have `googled` just about every site that provides manufacturing dates to serial numbers for Brownings and Miroku`s without sucess.

I thought it might have been imported to the US and then made its way over here, but the early US imports were under the Charles Daly name and once the Citori range was introduced circa 1973 the double letter system to identify the year of manufacture was implemented. So apologies, bit of an oddity;  but I cannot shed any light on the exact on the year of manufacture or why your gun does not seem to fit into the normal numbering/date system.

Cheers

JJsDad

16 hours ago, JJsDad said:

Hi.

While the good lady was watching the `soaps` yesterday evening, I amused myself by searching the web to try to make sense of your Citori serial number. I may well have just repeated what you have already done, but I have `googled` just about every site that provides manufacturing dates to serial numbers for Brownings and Miroku`s without sucess.

I thought it might have been imported to the US and then made its way over here, but the early US imports were under the Charles Daly name and once the Citori range was introduced circa 1973 the double letter system to identify the year of manufacture was implemented. So apologies, bit of an oddity;  but I cannot shed any light on the exact on the year of manufacture or why your gun does not seem to fit into the normal numbering/date system.

Cheers

JJsDad

Cheers for having a look for me mate it will remain a mystery it shoot ok which is the main thing. Not ever sure on the choking on it as there are no clear marks on it for that Mick Wabbitbosher said it was 1/4 and 1/2 when I got it off him it shoot like that type of choking.

Just wondered if it was older than me really :)