Gun Licence (10s) - 1964

Bobba

good old days .got my first 10 bobber back in 1957..my mate was caught no licence for his airgun "cadet major" £2 fine his old man gave him hell .my bruv and I got stopped coming off the marshs one night in Essex without our licences .all we got was "carry them with you in future " from the island bobby .they were the good old days back then ..wildfowling in the winter ,dab and flounder fishing in the summer ,,eel fishing in the lake out front of the house fresh moorhen and coot eggs ..back then grey partridge were common we had a very healthy amount on the island ,,,life seemed so much simpler back then . summers were long ..winters were hard. no electric just gas and coal range .no main drain just bucket and chuckit ..but we survived

10 hours ago, spot on said:

good old days .got my first 10 bobber back in 1957..my mate was caught no licence for his airgun "cadet major" £2 fine his old man gave him hell .my bruv and I got stopped coming off the marshs one night in Essex without our licences .all we got was "carry them with you in future " from the island bobby .they were the good old days back then ..wildfowling in the winter ,dab and flounder fishing in the summer ,,eel fishing in the lake out front of the house fresh moorhen and coot eggs ..back then grey partridge were common we had a very healthy amount on the island ,,,life seemed so much simpler back then . summers were long ..winters were hard. no electric just gas and coal range .no main drain just bucket and chuckit ..but we survived

My first 10s/0d licence was four years after yours , but the rest of it was nigh on identical , life was good in the swinging 60s, plenty of birds both in feather and skin , we had very little money but that didn't bother us and like one of the Beatles said , the best things in life are free , happy days .

I remember in the early 60's my pal swapping an air rifle with the school caretaker for an old hammer gun.As we walked backed to his house we passed our maths teacher and he never gave us a second glance.I was holding the barrel and my pal the stock the idea being that neither of us had a complete gun so we weren't braking the law.Every kid had a catapult or a gat air pistol and it all seemed so normal then.

Yes Happy days, 410 in early sixties, every shot had to count, then on to 70,s travelling up to Holy Island on a 650 BSA  & envyeing  my lab bitch in the comfort of the sidecar, then the A1 ran from Haymarket Newcastle north through everywhere,Gosforth, Morpeth Alnwick, Belford,& arriving being warmer off  the bike.!