Land Rover to move to Slovakia

Harnser

Just seen on the news Land Rover discovery production to be moved to Slovakia . With the loss of thousands of jobs . I wonder if they will be able to make them more reliable . If this move is successful they will proberbly move the lot over there .

harnser

32 minutes ago, Harnser said:

Just seen on the news Land Rover discovery production to be moved to Slovakia . With the loss of thousands of jobs . I wonder if they will be able to make them more reliable . If this move is successful they will proberbly move the lot over there .

harnser

?

55 minutes ago, Harnser said:

harnser

There shouldn't be that many job losses. The factory isn't closing it's just changing focus. The next generation Range Rovers will be made in Solihull.

When tata bought jaguar land rover they intended to move lock stock and barrel to India . Until they were told that people would not want to buy a luxury car made in India . Losing the qudos of being made in the UK would lose them massive sales .I wonder if it will happen if they make them in Slovakia.

harnser

Whilst I've never been tempted to buy a Discovery I can now say that it's 100% certain that I never will be.

There are plenty of manufacturers who don't produce in the EU yet compete perfectly well despite the protectionist import duty. I appreciate it's a different topic but the import tariffs only serve to boost the gross margins of the firms based in the EU and do absolutely nothing to reduce prices for the consumer. You only have to compare pricing of equivalent spec Japanese cars v  Euro cars to see how comprehensively we get ripped off by the likes of JLR, BMW, Merc, Ford, French stuff, Audi, VW etc. etc. etc.

On ‎12‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 09:46, Westward said:

Whilst I've never been tempted to buy a Discovery I can now say that it's 100% certain that I never will be.

There are plenty of manufacturers who don't produce in the EU yet compete perfectly well despite the protectionist import duty. I appreciate it's a different topic but the import tariffs only serve to boost the gross margins of the firms based in the EU and do absolutely nothing to reduce prices for the consumer. You only have to compare pricing of equivalent spec Japanese cars v  Euro cars to see how comprehensively we get ripped off by the likes of JLR, BMW, Merc, Ford, French stuff, Audi, VW etc. etc. etc.

The EU imposes a 10% tariff on imported cars to protect their own industry. I can buy a new Ford Mustang for equiv £20K in USA, over her the same car would cost £38K once import duty and VAT is added. Its totally protectionist as you say.

Don't forget the VAT, that's an EU tax as well remember

• 7 months later...

Once spent some time with a supplier inside the Solihull plant. I walked the defender line as I was a fan of them. Was very shocked by the *******/blinding of the workers against the managers, they were throwing them together (vehicles) with not much care zero pride and I have 50 years in the business so do know what I am about.

No wonder they are moving the new one away to Slovakia. Solihull was like  the 1971 Chrysler Ryton plant before Peugeot took it on.

Oh BTW Skoda"s are in Mlada Bolasav except the VW up variant that comes from VW Bratislava"s assembly line.

BB

It's simply another sign of a global outlook. The industry cannot survive being solely in the UK. The Japanese are very successful because they spread production world wide. The same must happen here. 

When Ford bought Jaguar and turned it into a Mondeo they lost sight of the 'Britishness' of the car. It's this British element and heritage that is part of the brand value that must be maintained so I doubt we would see the marque lost from the UK. What we must keep is the high value knowledge end of the business in design and marketing.

On ‎30‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 13:02, oowee said:

When Ford bought Jaguar and turned it into a Mondeo they lost sight of the 'Britishness' of the car. It's this British element and heritage that is part of the brand value that must be maintained so I doubt we would see the marque lost from the UK. What we must keep is the high value knowledge end of the business in design and marketing.

Small companies cannot possibly  keep up with the design requirements of the modern car industry. When Ford bought Jaguar they designed out all the mechanical faults that had given Jaguar its quirky image. Exactly the same with Aston Martin, when Britishness means unreliability its no asset. The X type was basically a Mondeo and the S type was a Lincoln  drive train but they put Jaguar back on the map. 

The amount of design resources Ford brought to Aston Martin was incredible, it was the only thing that saved the company but the image and prestige has not suffered at all

1 hour ago, Vince Green said:

Small companies cannot possibly  keep up with the design requirements of the modern car industry. When Ford bought Jaguar they designed out all the mechanical faults that had given Jaguar its quirky image. Exactly the same with Aston Martin, when Britishness means unreliability its no asset. The X type was basically a Mondeo and the S type was a Lincoln  drive train but they put Jaguar back on the map. 

The amount of design resources Ford brought to Aston Martin was incredible, it was the only thing that saved the company but the image and prestige has not suffered at all

AM. With the IPO last October being disappointing and a launch at the bottom end of estimates in the range (£19) and now at £16 all does not look well for the company.The image must currently be suffering from a lack of innovation.  I would expect that given the value of the £ that there is currently a high probability the brand be acquired.

I don't think of the 'British image' as one of reliability it's more of a reflection of our values, heritage and tradition. You do the Jaguar marque a disservice to link it's image with an issue of reliability. 

On 30/01/2019 at 12:54, Medic1281 said:

And some Audi’s in Mexico!

Worked on that project too, them that know at Audi says it will take them 10 years to duplicate the quality of the old Q5 from Ingolstadt.

Build a new factory 70 kms from the city of Puebla in the middle of nowhere, due to the Mex government spreading work opportunities around the country = bumkins building suv"s.

BB

15 minutes ago, bavarianbrit said:

Worked on that project too, them that know at Audi says it will take them 10 years to duplicate the quality of the old Q5 from Ingolstadt.

Build a new factory 70 kms from the city of Puebla in the middle of nowhere, due to the Mex government spreading work opportunities around the country = bumkins building suv"s.

BB

Cool, the Q5 forums are full of comments about poor quality. I’m glad I’ve got the older one. I sat in a new one recently and it felt cheaper. The plastics and finish didn’t feel as good.

All a sign of the times and we forget it all started back in Red Robbos' time. I have one of Mr Fords Jaguar X types, an estate, AWD 2.5 V6 and have to say it one of the nicest cars I have ever driven. My wife now has a small three cylinder engined Skoda which is an amazing little car.  It is now impossible to call any car by name because it may combine differant parts from different manufacturers and locations around the world.