Half past 8 and they were still coming

GingerCat

I hate working shifts. I hate it even more in the summer and I particularly hate it when its a nice warm sunny day and I'm trying to sleep just enough to convert from nights to days and not miss too much of my day off.

I had messaged Jdog earlier in the week whilst on nights asking if he would let me tag along. He has rather a lot of land you see and crucially some peas. I on the other hand have a modest amount and not one single pea that isn't frozen or otherwise in my freezer.  This time of year and its all about the peas (or clover if your lucky). I excitingly had a couple of new flappers to try out also. 

Jdog kindly offered an evening of pigeon shooting and I duly met him at about 5pm. We scouted some fields and saw a few birds, not hundreds but a tempting amount flighting from  a wood and into the far side of a 6 inch high pea field. Given it was 545pm we figured you had to be in it to win it and set up. 

The field in question was about 40 acres and had no other pea fields anywhere near it,  we thought there was  about 50 or so birds were feeding, that figure was a bit higher when we walked onto the field and set up in a hollow at the far in. JDog amusingly put on some waterproofs to go with his jacket . Given it was 22.c I wondered how long they would stay on for, not long was the answer and he was soon scurrying about in his jungle hat, shorts and 3 quarter jacket clutching his semi auto (almost mad max style)…..  

We set up about 30 yards apart, 2 flappers out in the middle of 20 or so half shells and fuds. The birds started to come but they skirted the pattern. We messed it about a bit trying new things and at one point turned both flappers off, as sure as sunrise that they were putting the birds off only to turn one back on again and the birds to come straight in. We built the pattern with real birds what it was clear the flapper was the key to bringing them across the field. A few would set up in the middle and draw the rest until we shot one and they would all fly off again. 

A few memorable shots were taken including a couple of long bird we both managed and that (to me at least) makes the day. 

We shot from 615 till about 8pm and picked (I think) 23. Might have been 24 I'm not sure ( 3 hours sleep does that) . And I don't mind saying what an enjoyable evening it was. At 830 as we were packing up they were still coming in. Not  a mega bag by any means but they were sporting birds, the company was good and the surroundings lovely. There's worse places to be on a Monday night. 

Edited by GingerCat

Yes it was a decent short session, one designed to alleviate the stresses of the difficult job my companion has.

Three weeks ago as I watched this field when the peas were just emerging I saw a Peregrine plucking a pigeon. Walking back to the car at the end of our session yesterday I found the carcase of the pigeon complete with a red ring on its leg.

1 hour ago, JDog said:

Yes it was a decent short session, one designed to alleviate the stresses of the difficult job my companion has.

Three weeks ago as I watched this field when the peas were just emerging I saw a Peregrine plucking a pigeon. Walking back to the car at the end of our session yesterday I found the carcase of the pigeon complete with a red ring on its leg.

When you say it was a " short session " we're they compulsory?? GInger Cat we need pictures of the Intrepid  White Hunter in his shorts???

Well done it sounds a good session and you had to work at it to get them to decoy. Flappers and Flyers will work but they are no panacea to good decoying each day is different . Also with approx fifteen hours of daylight they can feed when they want. I await your next report with baited breath.

Well done boys you got out and shot a few that's the main thing. Finding it exactly the same here at the minute, I have been setting up on peas at 5pm and shooting while 8pm and shooting similar numbers. Keeps the farmer happy and gets me out of the house for a while!

PC you paint a vivid picture in my mind!:)

When I was working I was in the lucky position where I would often go and set up during my dinner break and be in the hide a few minutes after 4pm ( 3pm on a Friday ) and shoot till 8 o clock , many a time I have taken the shot pigeons home and cleared my gear away the following day , never did have anything go missing .

56 minutes ago, motty said:

GC, I don't think it is all about the peas and clover. Barley has become very attractive now.

I am now looking at the barley fields more now than the peas , the peas are now in flower where the barley is changing colour daily with the ears beginning to hold grain , at the moment there are a few dropping in the tram lines as there are no laid patches , well not where I go , and any heavy rain and wind from this weekend should start drawing in pigeons .

Those who have only got spring barley will have to wait a few more weeks , well into July I would have thought .