Regionalised Terminology

Old Boggy

5 hours ago, panoma1 said:

Also,

Dimsey for dusk

grockel for tourist!.........Or are these just Devonian? Lol!

My favourite is not just Devonian, but even more specific - Exmouth. Hardly, if ever, used now - 'foggy dew' for incomer. You went to bed and never heard them coming, never saw them coming but you woke up in the morning and they were there.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Thunderbird said:

Bristol:

"Ark at 'ee!" - listen to that fellow giving himself airs and graces. (Interchangeable with "Ark at she!")

"Where's it to?" - are you aware of the current location of that item?

"Babber/Bab" - equivalent to "mate", or the Welsh "But"

Dont forget gurt, normally followed by lush.. Basically saying something us good

17 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

As a Londoner do you want me to explain about rhyming slang, how it really works?

A cockney would never say "up the apples and pears" the idea would be to cut off the back bit of the rhyme to make it incapable of being understood.

Typical example, most people are familiar with referring to money as "bread " without realising its rhyming slang "bread and honey"

But its constantly evolving in London if you were called a "James" would you be offended?  

Yes, very.

6 hours ago, rimfire4969 said:

Lot down here in Cornwall. A few for you. 

Crib: mid morning break for a bite to eat.

Dreckly: how soon something gets done.

Wasson: how is it going.

Proper job: anything that’s done well.

My ansum: As in “alright mate”, down here “Alright my ansum”

Obviously not all exclusive to Cornwall but very much used by young and old. 

Couple more for ee: More for you.

'Madder do it?  Does it matter.

Gusson: sort of 'dont be daft.

Bembye - similar to dreckly - at an unspecific time later.

Emmets: Tourists. Non emmet is a local.

Where ee too? Where are you.

Edited by Dave-G

1 hour ago, johnphilip said:

True i was born at Lagdon beck lol.me Father was from Penrith 

49 minutes ago, rimfire4969 said:

We stay in Lagdon Beck Hotel every October when we have a bash at some Grouse, normally 8 of us drive from Cornwall. It is an amazing Part of the world with some great people.

I drive past Langdon beck regular, every month to Barnard castle and back to Cumberland weather permitting ❄️?☀️?

36 minutes ago, mowdy said:

I drive past Langdon beck regular, every month to Barnard castle and back to Cumberland weather permitting ❄️?☀️?

Oh there is a lovely facebook group thing on teesdale some amazing old pictures .and its nice to chat with people who still live there .

3 minutes ago, johnphilip said:

Oh there is a lovely facebook group thing on teesdale some amazing old pictures .and its nice to chat with people who still live there .

My girlfriend used to live at the very last house at Harwood before you get to cumbria for a little while!!

6 hours ago, panoma1 said:

For gawds sake don't start anyone born in the Black Country off, lol!......Most Brummies canna grasp that lingo!

I married into the Black Country and the first few times I met the in law side I couldn't understand a word but have now started saying some of their phrases which is why everyone stared at me last week when I said someone was up the dancers meaning upstairs! Lord knows how that started

birminghamisms like gambol meaning forwards roll and the habit of describing anything in the road like a roundabout or similar all as 'an island' but I suppose being landlocked we're not sure what an actual island is!

Leeds:

Yawlright = How are you? but never answer with anything other than "Aye" or "nobad"

Scran= evening meal also known as "Tea"

Off T Town= Visiting the city Centre which is the second largest financial hotpot in the UK

Once=fish and chips

Allus= Always

and for some reason we do not use "The" as a word

gooda eck thus a grutton =  thats a big one

on the huh = wonky

wuh = really/didnt know that

oright boh = alright mate

ya sin ut gull up a rood boh,shis a grutton  =have you see that girl up the road mate,shes a big one

Edited by vampire

In Norfolk, the real locals, who are actually quite an endangered species these days, actually speak something more like old  Viking, not so much in the words but in the construction and way they say their vowels

A lot of our constructions are Viking based, we say the red house, French and Roman construction would say the house red

But the real centre of Viking words is in the Yorkshire dialects where lots of Viking words still prevail. People say keep your eyes skinned (should be skeined =on lookout). But the Vikings didn't have a universal language. Most of our Vikings were Danes but Scotland and Ireland its Norse

Geordie is the real Viking accent, almost pure Danish but fewer words remain. A real hard Geordie accent with the lilting ups and downs, (think Jimmy Nail) is pure magic.

Edited by Vince Green

Hull

Croggy -  to take a lift on a bicycle. ie. gizzus a croggy

tenfoot - alleyway

Bain - child  

town - city centre..or a town

Twagging - skipping school

Tourist-  no local term for them , as we dont get them.....possibly wezzies is as near as it gets

loads more which I cannot recollect at the moment

Edited by scolopax

One of the ones that tickles me now i live in southwest scotland is , they do not ask for a fish and chips , but a fish supper , and even at lunch time . Lol.

And asked were do you live , they ask were do you stay . I love some of the Burns words , not that i realy understand them , but fun trying to work them out .

16 hours ago, scolopax said:

Hull

Croggy -  to take a lift on a bicycle. ie. gizzus a croggy

tenfoot - alleyway

Bain - child  

town - city centre..or a town

Twagging - skipping school

Tourist-  no local term for them , as we dont get them.....possibly wezzies is as near as it gets

loads more which I cannot recollect at the moment

Farve=Five apparently

4 hours ago, arm3000gt said:

Cheese log = Woodlouse apparently in Berkshire. Still beyond me how that might of transpired. 

A Cornish friend of mine calls a woodlouse a 'Grammer Sow'. Again, no idea where that originated from.

On 12/06/2018 at 20:30, Winston72 said:

Leeds:

Allus= Always

That's pretty much one of ours as well. (East Anglian).

I always find it interesting when the same words crop up, we have (did have) dodman for snail and I believe there's a dodman hill in Devon(?) which looks like a snail.  Sure that flittermouse (bat) is used down that way as well.  Sometimes these words seem to be old words as much as regional ones.

On 12/06/2018 at 23:20, Vince Green said:

In Norfolk, the real locals, who are actually quite an endangered species these days, actually speak something more like old  Viking, not so much in the words but in the construction and way they say their vowels

A lot of our constructions are Viking based, we say the red house, French and Roman construction would say the house red

But the real centre of Viking words is in the Yorkshire dialects where lots of Viking words still prevail. People say keep your eyes skinned (should be skeined =on lookout). But the Vikings didn't have a universal language. Most of our Vikings were Danes but Scotland and Ireland its Norse

Geordie is the real Viking accent, almost pure Danish but fewer words remain. A real hard Geordie accent with the lilting ups and downs, (think Jimmy Nail) is pure magic.

I've come across this, Yorkshire dialects and I guess pattern of speech being closely associated with old English.  I did hear an interesting program on R4 a couple of years back.  For those who watch the Scandi dramas you may find you understand what is being said, not the bits where they speak English, or where the words are sort of recognisable.  I'm sure they found that particularly people from Yorkshire could make sense of what was being said without speaking a Scandinavian language.  I think it was to do with the sound and the rhythm.

Edited by yod dropper