Car suffocating in heat

Mungler

it might be an idea to put a heat sheild between the carbs and the enjine............petrol dosnt like getting to hot, as it starts to vapourise ...and you get a gaseous mix going into the enjine in stead of a nice even petrol air mix.....a lot of starting problems are due to "hot" carbs.......

7 hours ago, ditchman said:

it might be an idea to put a heat sheild between the carbs and the enjine............petrol dosnt like getting to hot, as it starts to vapourise ...and you get a gaseous mix going into the enjine in stead of a nice even petrol air mix.....a lot of starting problems are due to "hot" carbs.......

I would have thought an 1987 Mercedes would be fuel injection.

It’s still in ☹️ 

The car is like Trigger’s broom and the list of jobs to do has shrunk to:

1. Pas box re-conditioning kit - it’s got a dribble but having come this far I can’t stop or cut a corner

2. Bulb out dash indicator gone - the magic boxes that measure resistance in the lighting circuit are impossible to get so they’re fitting one from an S class, changing all the bulbs and retro fitting that 

3. Get to the bottom of why it’s running hot at the exhaust but in all other regards the engine temperature is and stays steady and within tolerances.

4. Door cards missing plastic backing to help with door card water resistance

Its had: bare metal respray and new cills, new cam shaft and top end, new rad, abs unit refurb, gearbox total strip and rebuild (yeah that hurt), new exhaust system (twice), new tyres, wheel refurb, doors trimmed, tracker, etc.

I’d be surprised if there’s a better one out there to be honest.

2 minutes ago, Mungler said:

It’s still in ☹️ 

The car is like Trigger’s broom and the list of jobs to do has shrunk to:

1. Pas box re-conditioning kit - it’s got a dribble but having come this far I can’t stop or cut a corner

2. Bulb out dash indicator gone - the magic boxes that measure resistance in the lighting circuit are impossible to get so they’re fitting one from an S class, changing all the bulbs and retro fitting that 

3. Get to the bottom of why it’s running hot at the exhaust but in all other regards the engine temperature is and stays steady and within tolerances.

4. Door cards missing plastic backing to help with door card water resistance

Its had: bare metal respray and new cills, new cam shaft and top end, new rad, abs unit refurb, gearbox total strip and rebuild (yeah that hurt), new exhaust system (twice), new tyres, wheel refurb, doors trimmed, tracker, etc.

I’d be surprised if there’s a better one out there to be honest.

get a landrover ..there will be less things to do....:lol:

So final tally, new fuel pump and new injector brain  - 1987 basic tech and neither item broke the bank.

Car is back and happy.

The last job is taking off and replacing the expensive stainless exhaust I had put on for back to factory; lessons learnt and all that.