Opposite of a boot thingy...

Bobydazzler

Hi guys, first post so be gentle!

My first PCP is arriving at the weekend (can't sleep....like a kid at Christmas) and so went halves with a mate on a 7 Litre 300 bar cylinder, Jubilee valve and gauge.

Rodder's, me mate ;), is a bit cack-handed and I'm looking at the neck of that cylinder (and fifty quids worth of glass and dial) and wondering how long it'll take

him to bang it or knock it over! So to my question....is there such a thing (and where would one acquire it) as the reverse of the cylinder boot that sit's at the bottom

of the tank? Something to slide over the top of the cylinder thereby protecting that valve from inevitable cack-handedness??

Many thanks in advance

Bob

29 minutes ago, Bobydazzler said:

Hi guys, first post so be gentle!

My first PCP is arriving at the weekend (can't sleep....like a kid at Christmas) and so went halves with a mate on a 7 Litre 300 bar cylinder, Jubilee valve and gauge.

Rodder's, me mate ;), is a bit cack-handed and I'm looking at the neck of that cylinder (and fifty quids worth of glass and dial) and wondering how long it'll take

him to bang it or knock it over! So to my question....is there such a thing (and where would one acquire it) as the reverse of the cylinder boot that sit's at the bottom

of the tank? Something to slide over the top of the cylinder thereby protecting that valve from inevitable cack-handedness??

Many thanks in advance

Bob

https://www.simplyscuba.com/products/scubapro-tank-valve-protective-cap

Ours came with a carry handle around the valve which protects it, but one of these might work. If you need something bigger maybe a large bleach bottle with the top cut off and slotted over the top might do.

Edited by loriusgarrulus

The thickest part of the cylinder is the base and neck, and it was for that reason years ago it was recommended that they stand upright, as a small amount of moisture can cause corrosion at the elevated partial pressures within the cylinder, and so keeping the corrosion as a micro pool in the base did less harm than a line of corrosion along the side of the cylinder, in the thinnest part of it.

These days properly filtered and dried air will not be a problem, so store it on its side. Steel cylinders are more prone to this being an issue, alloy ones have a very thick flat base and really dont suffer issues to the same extent. But all of these issues were a problem decades ago, and now really should not be a problem, as long as standard safety practices are adhered to. 

Fire service, busy scuba centres and the like all store cylinders on their sides these days, and avoiding the cause of corrosion is way more important than the storage angle.  

3 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

As a diver the golden rule is don't leave your tank standing up unless you are supporting it. They are always laid down. I have seen the effect of a tank landing on the valve tap and it's expensive so you are well advised to prepare for your cack handed mate.

If it lands on the valve and snaps it, you will have a torpedo on your hands, literally!

you can get something like this??

cylinder_safety_valve_guards_and_caps.jp