All wrong but it turned out alright.

Clodhopper

Yesterday, the field of peas that JDog and I had first visited the other day but declined to shoot was the setting for our next adventure. As normal we met in a shady gateway on a quiet country lane and exchanged a few words through wound down windows before getting out for a firm hand shake. My companion had been at the field for around half an hour trying to spot likely flightlines, of which there were few. It was about 4pm and birds were just milling around the area but not going anywhere with any urgency, it did not look too promising. We knew that the birds may very well feed late so we sat for a while chatting, putting the world to rights and glassing the field. 

There was a blustery Northerly wind which was not ideal for this field but it did cool us down in the hot afternoon sunshine. The field itself is around 15 acres and had a belt of young Ash trees on the Southern edge. It was there that we first noticed a few birds dropping in, not coming from the direction we had hoped but coming in none the less. The downside was that it was the far end of the field which would involve a 350 yard slog with kit in the balmy late afternoon sun, thank god for that wind.

We were undecided for a while but thought we would give it a go as it was a pleasant evening and a few birds were now showing an interest. As we reached our chosen spot we put around 100 pigeons out of the peas which were around 1 foot high. We set up on the edge of the Ash belt with the wind in our faces as this is where the birds seemed to want to be and it afforded some shade from the sun. It was not ideal but it was what it was. The set up was 1 magnet about 40 yards out and 8 plastics on sticks to get them up a bit. We wanted to give the birds enough room to swing round into the pattern.

In the first hour we managed 5 pigeons, not too good. Then a steady trickle of birds began to come to the pattern. Some from in front which would turn sharply on the wind to get in and others appeared from behind and over our heads to drop down to the decoys. It was getting exciting. Then disaster struck. JDog's semi auto began to malfunction, only firing the first shot. 3 shots later it gave up the Ghost all together. Being the true gent he is he turned down my offer to pack up and instead acting as picker up for the remaining hour we were there. He also again offered advice like "This is a doddler" or " You cannot miss this" just as I was mounting on a bird, this helped immensely as you can expect. Any way the birds came nicely for a while and I managed to get a few down. 

We packed up at around 8pm, the dogs working well to find a few extra birds hidden in the pea crop. The final count up was 38 picked with a further 1 missing which dropped down in a  wood over the boundary. With the initial premise of giving it a go, we were pleased to put this many in the bag and we had some lovely sporting shooting to boot. I have no doubt that had we not encountered the aforementioned technical difficulties we would have had over 50 in the bag but that is the way it goes.

After the grief JDog gave me about  a cheap Hatsan that broke down in the field I refrained from making any remark about his posh Beretta, promise!!!

Thanks for reading. 

Very good account of your evenings activity , I recon we will soon be seeing a three shot Beretta on Gun watch before to long , trouble with these modern contraptions , there are far to many working parts :yes:, the only problem I have had with my trusty side by side was getting a swelled paper case stuck in the breech , after walking back to the farm to see if my mate could help me out , with no sign of him I borrowed one of his bamboo canes that was only being used for supporting one of his plants , a quick couple of rams and hey presto the case was out , put the cane back from where it came from and within half an hour I was back shooting .

By the way Clodhopper , you do spend a fair bit of time chasing them old pigeons , one very understanding wife :good:

This could have been entitled 'Half past 8 and they were still coming'.

Another fine evening session which looked decidedly unpromising to start with but turned out well in the end.

MM, Clodhopper's wife thinks that he and I are seeing too much of each other. I say what about Mighty Mariner and Ginger Cat? I have lots of these field gateway assignations.

Mac and Jasper in the evening sun.

Utterby_peas_June_18.jpg

Edited by JDog

31 minutes ago, JDog said:

It just seized up. It's now gone back to Beretta as I took out a three year warranty on it.

woow............never heard of a beratta seizing up like that..............you must update us as and when please...im at an impass as to what it maybe......:hmm:

4 hours ago, ditchman said:

woow............never heard of a beratta seizing up like that..............you must update us as and when please...im at an impass as to what it maybe......

There would have been a good possibility if Mr JDog had dropped it off at yours , had a cup of tea while you treated it as a new project and took it back to Lincolnshire in perfect working order, with a extra years warranty on it for good measure  :yes: 

2 minutes ago, marsh man said:

There would have been a good possibility if Mr JDog had dropped it off at yours , had a cup of tea while you treated it as a new project and took it back to Lincolnshire in perfect working order, with a extra years warranty on it for good measure  :yes: 

im sure JD would be absoloutly delighted for me to take a look at it with an impact screwdriver hammer and chisel....(to get then nasty stuck screws to move)...:lol:

mind you before doing that infront of him i would have checked my Health insurance was all up to date,......