Tope fest Drummore

Winston72

2 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I helped drop a few inert 1000 pounders in there over the years!

I know i saw ya lol 

38 minutes ago, harkom said:

Is there anything left to catch nowadays? And the shellfish stocks have been decimated by the usual get rich quick types.....

You can get the odd bass from the shore , its mainly  mackerel  and tope , a few dogfish yes the sea bed must be very baron  .

Get rich quick shellfisherman,I must be doing it wrong somewhere as 28 years at it and still not rich,but heyho keyboard commercial fishing experts no best, there is only about one quarter of the bay is open to scallop fishing for 4 months of the year and it is weather dependant,eg 4 days this year,so hardly over fished 

17 hours ago, clam6364 said:

Get rich quick shellfisherman,I must be doing it wrong somewhere as 28 years at it and still not rich,but heyho keyboard commercial fishing experts no best, there is only about one quarter of the bay is open to scallop fishing for 4 months of the year and it is weather dependant,eg 4 days this year,so hardly over fished 

Ah Perhaps that is because you are not using the right tools - or a big enough battery and electrodes....????

1 minute ago, clam6364 said:

Scallop dredge don’t need that, and I think tests and trials by marine Scotland has shown it to have very little effect on other marine life, I personally don’t think there is anything wrong in it, if it’s regulated properly,

Your obviously not a diver and have never dived a site after it has been dredged! Imagine a recently ploughed field with not one plant/weed etc. All you see is neatly ploughed lines in the sand, nothing else! I used to dive in Jersey quite a bit and if we were dropped onto an area that had just been dredged, we cancelled the dive and surfaced.

14 hours ago, clam6364 said:

Scallop dredge don’t need that, and I think tests and trials by marine Scotland has shown it to have very little effect on other marine life, I personally don’t think there is anything wrong in it, if it’s regulated properly,

There seems to be little or very poor regulation and monitoring of the ? illegal electro-fishing in LB. Answers please.....yes/no.

Yes but it is hard to police 24/7,but now it is legal under a trial scheme by a limited number of licensed boats,it might make it harder for unlicensed operators,and anyone caught buying there catch would be dealt with quite severely, 

hopefully a sustainable fishery will be established wit the introduction of it being made legal,as there’s not the damage caused as what people think, only my opinion after reading the results of marine Scotland’s trials 

Let's hope that the marine fishery can make a better job of resource management than.....oh, wait a minute.. Are they involved in licensing procedure and issue for west coast salmon "farms".

Whatever,,,,,, the  management of Scotland's salmon and sea-trout river fisheries has been desperately lacking, in fact, most would term it abysmal.

Salmon farming is a big job creator in remote parts of Scotland so I doubt that ,only the public can strop it by not buying the fish ,yes it is destroying the wild stock but no more than the seals that need to be culled but that won’t happen either.i know people who work on salmon farms and one of the big marketing thing is that omega 3 is good for you, but the food is now mostly vegetable based and doesn’t contain omega3 so now they have to feed them omega3 so it is present, Frankenstein’s fish 

Yes..... "the big job creator"....myth, or..... many foreign nationals doing the labour 'cos the natives don't or won't. No disagreement about seals - and cormorants - but the "health giving" aspect of Om3 oils does not mention what other chemicals of an undesirable nature that is contained. Nor the devastating impact of the farmed fish parasite overload on the wild stock.

Then of course there is always the additional "employment"  - for the contractors who have to transfer the tonnage of rotting fish, by road, for disposal. (I heard the stink gets up quite a few noses?) And while on the topic of employment, how have numbers held up in the old longstanding workforce of ghillies, netsmen, hotel trade catering for anglers, etc................??  Just askin'?

would love to be there, done it in 2009, was running a 40ft interceptor "tiger lilly II" though in 2009 they had it in june which was just a tad early for the main of the tope run,,, not sure if they changed it in 2010 to july after that,,,,, whatever it was a great weekend, I took the boat over on the evening before the event and got absolutely ****** in the clash, slept on the beach until I was sober enough to row out to my boat, think we had Border News on that day.... cant remember much apart from taking the boat out,,,, whatever it was a brilliant weekend and just wish I was still chartering as I would be over there.

plenty of fish though,,,,,, the pollock fishing was brilliant  

would recommend it to anyone who is into there tope fishing

20 hours ago, fandango said:

would love to be there, done it in 2009, was running a 40ft interceptor "tiger lilly II" though in 2009 they had it in june which was just a tad early for the main of the tope run,,, not sure if they changed it in 2010 to july after that,,,,, whatever it was a great weekend, I took the boat over on the evening before the event and got absolutely ****** in the clash, slept on the beach until I was sober enough to row out to my boat, think we had Border News on that day.... cant remember much apart from taking the boat out,,,, whatever it was a brilliant weekend and just wish I was still chartering as I would be over there.

plenty of fish though,,,,,, the pollock fishing was brilliant  

would recommend it to anyone who is into there tope fishing

I think i know who you are

Happy days/nights,,, 

reckon I was more tired than ****** as it took me over 7 hrs to get to there, it’s was blowing a bit so I was sailing head on into a heavy sea, reckon the boat spent most of the journey underwater, should have only taken 2 to 2 1/2 hrs, knocks it out of you a bit, and when I made it to shore a drink was the only thing on mind.

errrr was also possibly hungry and the smell of bacon butties lead me down there ?????