Butt plate/ recoil pad information required please.

JDog

I am considering buying an oldish Winchester 101 in twelve gauge. The end of the stock to trigger measurement is 14 1/4’’ which is just too short for me. Ideally I would prefer 14 1/2’’.

The existing butt plate is a thin solid plastic one. My question is, where do I source either a spacer or a thicker butt plate, either in solid plastic or a recoil-absorbing material?

My initial enquiry about this with a local gunsmith resulted in a quote of £150 to remodel the end of the stock before a recoil pad could be fitted. 

hello, you could ask welshwarrier he seems to know much on gun stocks, as steve mentioned you can buy a slip on in rubber or leather but if were me and i had a 101 back a few years take of the plastic cap and get a recoil type rubber pad, quite easy to fit yourself, another way as steve said buy a rubber slip on, take the plastic pad off and pack out inside until you get the right length for shooting,then fit the recoil rubber one that length,        good luck  

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

As far as I know Kodensha built 101s have a flat butt rather than curved which means you have various grind to fit pads to choose from. Isis probably are the best and the non adjustable ones come in various thicknesses. There are several others such as Kickeze (Google is your friend).

These types of pad are not difficult to fit if you have access to a belt sander and a few basic tools.

I had same problem with an old 101 for my son...6ft 4" with long arms

The recoil pads for a Browning 725 are a near perfect fit...picked this tip up from USA website

I bought a 1" 725 pad from ebay...easy fit, mounting holes did not line up but easy to mark through

and redrill....hope this helps

32 minutes ago, Doitwithstyle said:

ebay . £11 grind to fit . super easy to do . did mine with a palm sander . took 20 mins max . looks a 1000 times better than the old beat up one it had on it 

Thanks. What make was the pad?

Thanks for the replies. I have two left hands so diy may not be that easy for me.

2 minutes ago, Doitwithstyle said:

What ever one you want . I brought a cheap Guntuff one . But there is loads to chose from 

trust me is an easy job .

pm me if you want to know how I did mine . 

Can send you a picture of mine fitted if you like . 

Yes please send a picture.

Why would the gunsmith quote £150 if the job is so simple?

Not sure . Prob in case something goes wrong then can afford to sort it before you find out lol 

i also made the white spacer again same thing cut out from a sheet and grind to fit 

7E883CE6-3D5D-4735-B198-FD3FDA1B5A8F.jpeg

Picture not amazing sorry only one I could find quick 

Can send better prictre when i get home 

Edited by Doitwithstyle

34 minutes ago, Doitwithstyle said:

Not sure . Prob in case something goes wrong then can afford to sort it before you find out lol 

i also made the white spacer again same thing cut out from a sheet and grind to fit 

7E883CE6-3D5D-4735-B198-FD3FDA1B5A8F.jpeg

Picture not amazing sorry only one I could find quick 

Can send better prictre when i get home 

That's great thanks.

21 minutes ago, Wilksy II said:

Now then Jdog, I’ll do it for you if your over this side of the river, maybe tie it in with a visit to agamans! (Sorry agaman no pressure to find him some pigeons)

How kind. It's about time we met up. Not that I have bought the gun yet.

I have just got a winchester xtr semi and I removed the hard plastic but pad and found that my spare 725 one fitted with out cutting or shaving anything away. I only had to glue and plug the original screw holes and then fit the new one all good 

• 3 years later...

Hello folks.

Just been given my first shotgun by my dad and it's a Winchester 101 XTR diamond grade sporter.

Butt pad is **** so was looking at replacements and to take some of the recoil away. 

Saw the Isis green pad but the green won't look right on the 101.

I can't do any of the grind to fit stuff as have no tools, nearest gunsmith charged my dad £150 for some new screws in the stock and a jammed ejector pad on his Baikal this week so can imagine how much they would want for butt pad replacement!