Butt plate/ recoil pad information required please.

JDog

On 23/09/2021 at 13:02, MitchSpartan said:

Hello folks.

Just been given my first shotgun by my dad and it's a Winchester 101 XTR diamond grade sporter.

Butt pad is **** so was looking at replacements and to take some of the recoil away. 

Saw the Isis green pad but the green won't look right on the 101.

I can't do any of the grind to fit stuff as have no tools, nearest gunsmith charged my dad £150 for some new screws in the stock and a jammed ejector pad on his Baikal this week so can imagine how much they would want for butt pad replacement! 

I've been shooting since about the age of 5 and without a doubt, nothing comes close to the Green Isis X Pad. Buy the left or right handed version to suit which shoulder you shoot from.

Don't hesitate, buy it !

The green you can black with permanent marker supplied. Give the man a call as he is most generous with his time and a true gent.

On 24/09/2021 at 20:50, Shotkam said:

I've been shooting since about the age of 5 and without a doubt, nothing comes close to the Green Isis X Pad. Buy the left or right handed version to suit which shoulder you shoot from.

Don't hesitate, buy it !

The green you can black with permanent marker supplied. Give the man a call as he is most generous with his time and a true gent.

Thanks Shotkam. I will do that tonight. 

So spoke to Isis about the green pads. They said they are concerned that the curve on my original butt plate might be difficult and would need to be flattened off by gunsmith.

Also the screws in my butt plate are not the same (see 2nd pic for location) as the Isis so would need new holes drilled in. Not sure if I can do it myself. 20210923_100853.jpg.1f5273f691b3df9947176ab432ec3598.jpg20210923_100701.jpg.3c22660471dbc6cf8c59368eee389eb7.jpg

46 minutes ago, MitchSpartan said:

So spoke to Isis about the green pads. They said they are concerned that the curve on my original butt plate might be difficult and would need to be flattened off by gunsmith.

Also the screws in my butt plate are not the same (see 2nd pic for location) as the Isis so would need new holes drilled in. Not sure if I can do it myself. 20210923_100853.jpg.1f5273f691b3df9947176ab432ec3598.jpg20210923_100701.jpg.3c22660471dbc6cf8c59368eee389eb7.jpg

If you have or can borrow a belt sander yes, providing you are a practical person with skill in your hands !

Remove butt plate and put straight edge across from heel to toe, measure gap at largest point.

E.g. 10mm.

Then divide by 2 and with a thin black Biro mark 5mm from heel towards action and the same at the toe.

Put a wrap of pvc insulation tape around the stock so it aligns with both marks to act as a guide when sanding.

Go steady !!! - especially when approaching tape.

I recommend you go online to learn how to install a grind to fit recoil pad.

Extreme care needed and be sure to protect the complete stock with plastic and tape.

If not sure of your capabilities take to a recommended gunsmith, especially if it's a really decent gun.

Good fortune to you.

Hold sander upside down in workmate or similar with 60 - 80 grit fitted.

So spoke to Davehe said the butt would need to be flattened off but I have no gunsmiths apart from Wiseman and they quoted me £200 today!!! 

It's due to the curve of the plate so aside from taking the stock off and sending it to Dave I'm a bit stuck as I don't have belt sander etc. My little Dremel would do the job or I'd end up with 2 barrels on a toothpick!