Smallest/cheapest pcp refill option

Hamster

I can't remember if I've asked this before ? but really need to sort out a gizmo to give me the ability to put one or at most two charges into my FAC Wildcat away from home. The problem is one of my most productive shoots is a dairy farm where I could literally spend all day killing magpies, crows, rats, collard doves and the 60 odd shots soon run out which presently means I have to take my 300 bar bottle, ?   it also means I can't plink or do much ammo testing either ! Having looked at smaller ones even the cheapest is still £150 odd and bulkier than I would ideally wish for, are there better options out there ? 

Only option I can think of is to use a Pump.

As a second thought, I am not familiar with your rifle but possibly changing your on board air cylinder with a spare already charged. I have several spare ones for my air arms, though I always carry my Big air cylinder.

Edited by Flyboy1950

Best fitting do a 500 cc bottle .with whip .

But in my experience .they just dont have enough air volume to fill a gun up. 

I tried one on my 100 cc scorpion and it failed to fill the gun  to  240 bar .

This was from a bottle pressure of around 275bar  .

Your best with a pump .

I pump my .25 cal fx wildcat up .and that has 300 cc of air as opposed to the 230 cc from the .22 fx .

2 hours ago, GingerCat said:

Just leave the air cylinder in the car and have a 5 min break every 60 shots or so. 

It's not only silly heavy but impractical too because it takes too much room and I keep having to place strategic cushions all round it. 

4 hours ago, figgy said:

Hamster you need a draeger emergency escape breathing set carbon fiber bottle.

Link for you to a little bottle.https://www.bestfittings.co.uk/product-category/airgun-charging-equipment/cylinder-accessories/airgun-charging-cylinders/

That looks good but I suspect it won't quite be up to it as Ultrastu seems to suggest. 

I may eventually be forced to buy a half size something or other, the carbon ones look great and having seen them up close are lovely and light but getting on £300 ! 

2 hours ago, Hamster said:

It's not only silly heavy but impractical too because it takes too much room and I keep having to place strategic cushions all round it.

Mine would easily fit in a footwell and I get it charged about once every 9 months or so. From at least a full fill every month this provides about 60 shots or so a session.  Suspect You could charge the smaller one from the larger if you liked. 

If your shooting more than that you'll hurt yourself with a pump. 

15 hours ago, Hamster said:

That looks good but I suspect it won't quite be up to it as Ultrastu seems to suggest. 

I may eventually be forced to buy a half size something or other, the carbon ones look great and having seen them up close are lovely and light but getting on £300 ! 

Hamster the little one is £145.00 and say it gives 1.5 refills on a AA s400 the larger  carbon fiber one gives 6 refills at £245 inc vat.

As i wrote earlier post an escape set breathing air carbon fiber bottle would be your cheapest option if you could get hold of one.

22 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, as above, £40 off ebay many on the airgun forum are buying these, 282449414185

hello, your wildcat has a 232BAR fill for 60 shots, you could try finding a small 3 ltr cylinder 300 bar and i think you can fill from a large cylinder, i use to fill my AA  410 from a hand pump, that was a single stage and fairly hard going, the new 3 stage pumps are much easier to use, the one i mentioned on ebay from globeselling100 is less than £40  and 3 stage with good reviews on the UKGF forum, if you go on the air rifle section on here a PW member has or is going to buy one so its worth looking at his views,  , PW member stut4 has just mentioned on his post purchasing the pump i mentioned, he was pleased with the pump,  if you do not let your rifle get to low on air it should not be to much effort to top up, 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

I have a mate that uses a pump and he tells me the way to avoid a heart attack is to use your body weight rather than your muscle to pump the pump. 

I've never seen him doing this because I'm usually off shooting after filling mine from the divers tank. Lol. ?

OK I only have an AA S200 to fill but I use a pump and find  I can easily fill to 190 without any overdue exhaustion.  I'm creeping up to 78yrs by the way.  I also shoot farm yards and yes it can get busy.  I would take my pump and it takes but a couple of minutes to top up.   As manthing says technique is all important to using a pump efficiently using upper body weight on the last important part of the fill stroke.  

I would have thought a pump was the easiest and cheapest way to go, i cant imagine you pumping up more than once on a session. It won't be rolling around and how often are you going to shoot 120 shots a session? If that's the case on a regular session i would look at another rifle maybe or take two with you?

Often people advocate ."topping up "the  gun with a pump  so as to avoid a big session filling from empty to full ..

Well this doesnt make any sense at all if your trying to avoid the hard work of filling. .Take your average pcp .

It runs from 200 bar down to 100 bar .

And gives say 60 shots. .now this gun will fire around 35 shots in the 200 - 150 bar section and 25 in the 150 - 100 bar section .BUT when it comes to pumping up the gun .the easiest bit is filling from 100 bar to 150 bar .and it get increasingly difficult as the pressure increases  ..

So it you want to save the hard work .only pump to say 170 bar and shoot 35 - 40 shots. And then repump .

Just topping up the tricky  high bar hard section is  daft. 

58 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Often people advocate ."topping up "the  gun with a pump  so as to avoid a big session filling from empty to full ..

Well this doesnt make any sense at all if your trying to avoid the hard work of filling. .Take your average pcp .

It runs from 200 bar down to 100 bar .

And gives say 60 shots. .now this gun will fire around 35 shots in the 200 - 150 bar section and 25 in the 150 - 100 bar section .BUT when it comes to pumping up the gun .the easiest bit is filling from 100 bar to 150 bar .and it get increasingly difficult as the pressure increases  ..

So it you want to save the hard work .only pump to say 170 bar and shoot 35 - 40 shots. And then repump .

Just topping up the tricky  high bar hard section is  daft. 

I agree, personally though I just don't get the hand pump thing at all, the whole point of a pcp power plant is its ease of use compared to say a break barrel. The dairy farm I have in mind is pretty much dirty every which way you turn, in winter wellies are an absolute must because even the vehicle tracks have deep mud, I would struggle to think of a place I'd want to put the pump down on the ground to get pumping ! 

The reason I want to get a small 2-3 charge filler is to be able to plink/zero/kill as much as I want without worrying about running out of air, the effort it takes to pump the gun I might as well heave the big cylinder into the back and be done in 30 seconds, methinks a small (maybe 2nd hand) small bottle is the best choice here. 

Edited by Hamster

17 hours ago, Hamster said:

I agree, personally though I just don't get the hand pump thing at all, the whole point of a pcp power plant is its ease of use compared to say a break barrel. The dairy farm I have in mind is pretty much dirty every which way you turn, in winter wellies are an absolute must because even the vehicle tracks have deep mud, I would struggle to think of a place I'd want to put the pump down on the ground to get pumping ! 

The reason I want to get a small 2-3 charge filler is to be able to plink/zero/kill as much as I want without worrying about running out of air, the effort it takes to pump the gun I might as well heave the big cylinder into the back and be done in 30 seconds, methinks a small (maybe 2nd hand) small bottle is the best choice here. 

hello, in that case i would look for a 300 bar 3 ltr cylinder, keep a look out on all the forums/ free ads/ or try a dive centre, go dive are selling one complete with guage and hose at £135 thats 29% off normal price  including free shipping to most parts of UK

Edited by oldypigeonpopper