Fox question after fright.

30-6

I am not a dedicated fox shooter as such, but do enjoy the challenge of targeting a problem animal. So earlier in the year bought a .223 to " protect " my farmer friends chickens, or to be exact his 10 year old son's chickens. So after more chickens were acquired to replace the slain and missing, I was " ordered " to keep my eyes open and shoot " every fox I see ". So it seems I have been promoted from rat catcher to vermin control officer.

I called in an adult dog and it dropped at 57 yds to the tenterfield on a grazed field, two fields away from said chickens, brownie points galore. That was a couple of weeks ago.

My friend had commented that he had seen cubs about, so when silage cutting started I was ready. Set myself up where I thought was a good spot about three fields away from the chickens with a caller out at 80 yds. After an hour of not seeing anything thought I would try somewhere else, shut the caller off and upon going to get the caller in noticed movement to the bottom of the field. Quick retreat back to gap in hedge, two lumps of cubs coming towards me. No time to get tripod up or get caller going, using fence post as rest cub was in the crosshairs. Leading cub had now clocked the furry spinning lure wafting in the wind. Cautiously approaches, sniffing air and starts to circle it, I managed to activate the lure it seemed more interested, but when I put on a rat squeak it ran away with a road behind it. Turned my attention to second cub which was over 100 yds away but quartering and still. A bit nervous as I am new to this, but thought this is what I put time in on paper for, bang down it goes, first cub tail up and running.

Picked up the cub at 132 yds and felt chuffed.

Question is, is it worth watching that spot again or will the first cub change area's after having a fright. ?

Two chances sir. I would definitely try again cubs are now more independent than a month ago. They are on there own and less likely to be dragged away by parents. The calling side of it can be a real hit or miss we have been shooting alot on a poultry unit that have no interest in a call. Yet some cubs we shot on a golf course were like on a remote control. All I can say is get out and have another go for certain

Yep, as above.  Assume you had a silencer on the rifle. If so the other cub will not know a) what it was and b) where it came from.  When you have two come in like that then shoot the furthest one first (if you have a silencer fitted that is) almost 100% chance the other will run towards you.  Works on deer as well:good:

1 minute ago, Walker570 said:

Yep, as above.  Assume you had a silencer on the rifle. If so the other cub will not know a) what it was and b) where it came from.  When you have two come in like that then shoot the furthest one first (if you have a silencer fitted that is) almost 100% chance the other will run towards you.  Works on deer as well:good:

Very correct sir with reference the one behind. Same for adults aswell:good: