"Im mainly dioptering"......

ditchman

Over the last few weeks i have been like a social butterfly flitting from one project to another....and i think this one, will be of interest to a few..

The HW77 is going to go retro ...and i shall be fitting a quality diopter sight to it...a peep sight....an aperture sight....my first air rifle was a webley Mk 3..with an aperture sight...i did not fully understand the idea but i became very good with it...outshooting all my mates who had open sights........

Quality diopter sights are very expensive...up to a £1000 quid some of them....a gentleman all very well know to us on this forum, contacted me a couple of days ago suggesting we meet in neutral terrortary down at the Acle sale...(thats where us "good ole boys" go to to have a natter and get away from the ole gull on a wednesday and thursday).......he duly turned up in some sort of FORIEGHN PICKUP.....and laid a bag out in the back cover.(.an offer of payment was made and refused...so a continued promise of a hand made knife in the autumn was reafirmed)..the contents of which are posted below...............

can only be described as British enjineering at its best...looks and feels like a quality micrometer....this particular model was made for the P14 rifle and had been successfully used by the owner at Bisley in long range target shooting out to 1200yds plus....(not with a P14 tho')

i intend to fit it to my HW77 by unscrewing the locating block...making a spacer ..and drilling 2 holes in a reshaped (milled) pitcany block/rail ..and either thread rod or screwed...doing it that way will result in a good and well seated sight without damaging the diopter in any way shape or form...

In the package was an Anshutz adjustable iris/multi filter peep veiwer..........this being Made in West Germany the threads are different to the imperial of the Alfred Parker diopter...i have someone sourcing a reducer adapter for that at the moment..........and all that is left for me to do...is to find a Hunting basic screw in peep/aperture and a suitible rail that i can drill out.........

I cant do anything just yet as i have to wait for the front barrel latch to be fitted...as thats where the front site will sit and i need the height meausurment before i start drilling out the pitcany rail...

so watch this space and i will update it as and when

Diopter sight 001tn_.JPG

Diopter sight 002tn_.JPG

Diopter sight 003tn_.JPG

Diopter sight 004tn_.JPG

Diopter sight 005tn_.JPG

Diopter sight 006tn_.JPG

Diopter sight 007tn_.JPG

Diopter sight 008tn_.JPG

Diopter sight 009tn_.JPG

Diopter sight 010tn_.JPG

Diopter sight 011tn_.JPG

Diopter sight 012tn_.JPG

Diopter sight 013tn_.JPG

Diopter sight 014tn_.JPG

Diopter sight 015tn_.JPG

Diopter sight 016tn_.JPG

Diopter sight 017tn_.JPG

Diopter sight 018tn_.JPG

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, pigeon controller said:

Well done " another project" can't be bad though it's made in Birmingham!!

oh ..................i always thought "Birm"  was short for "Made in Burma"..:lol:

if you want to see what the end project should look like ...Google "HW77 Diopter sights"...and click on the pic /tile and it will open up a large page of pics..

Edited by ditchman

Ditchy you would have been in seventh heaven just to walk in the front shop at Alfred Parkers in the 60s, to be allowed further would have had you floating on air.  It still had a Victorian air about it, with all sorts of interesting stuff stacked randomly about.

The last time I saw(looked through) one of those was on selection for the new to be formed sniper team for my police force.....errrr ????? late 60s early 70s, Warwickshire & Coventry Constabulary at the time.  P14 and a steel target(6 inches diamter) at 200yrds. More by luck than judgement I hit it first shot and got the job.

With practise they can be VERY accurate.

7 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Ditchy you would have been in seventh heaven just to walk in the front shop at Alfred Parkers in the 60s, to be allowed further would have had you floating on air.  It still had a Victorian air about it, with all sorts of interesting stuff stacked randomly about.

The last time I saw(looked through) one of those was on selection for the new to be formed sniper team for my police force.....errrr ????? late 60s early 70s, Warwickshire & Coventry Constabulary at the time.  P14 and a steel target(6 inches diamter) at 200yrds. More by luck than judgement I hit it first shot and got the job.

With practise they can be VERY accurate.

this is what i intend to talk about later on after the build ...fitting...and test...

right............the games "nearly afoot"...............bid on a barrell latch for the 77...and got it for £25 quid...its a bit tacky/rusty...but i can strip it down and get it back to clean metal and put it in the blueing tank............

so that means i can finish off the diopter sight...as when i fit the sight i can fix the height of the back sight............so it will a couple of days before i recieve the item....but it looks like we are on our way again................:yahoo:

31 minutes ago, ditchman said:

right............the games "nearly afoot"...............bid on a barrell latch for the 77...and got it for £25 quid...its a bit tacky/rusty...but i can strip it down and get it back to clean metal and put it in the blueing tank............

so that means i can finish off the diopter sight...as when i fit the sight i can fix the height of the back sight............so it will a couple of days before i recieve the item....but it looks like we are on our way again................:yahoo:

Oh your still about, thought you was at Yarmouth on holiday or something. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

right ...so im back er' again.......just been up the doc's yet again........ive had 4 kicks in the teeth in one week...im a walking disaster area...but the strange thing is i have never felt better......i wont bore you with the details....and just to nip things in the bud ....it aint nuttin to do with my willy..............

finally after hunting all over the internet i managed to get an adapter for the diopter to the anshutz iris...had to come via germany...but it arrived this morning......the screws for the sight need to be re-cut as the fit is too tight (4 BA)...so thats being done as we speak...........

here are a few pics of the rear sight and the adapter and have taken a few of the anshutz diopter...where you can see the coloured filters and adjustable iris...

enjoy

adapter 001tn_.JPG

adapter 002tn_.JPG

adapter 003tn_.JPG

adapter 004tn_.JPG

adapter 005tn_.JPG

adapter 006tn_.JPG

adapter 007tn_.JPG

adapter 008tn_.JPG

adapter 009tn_.JPG

adapter 010tn_.JPG

adapter 011tn_.JPG

adapter 012tn_.JPG

adapter 013tn_.JPG

6 hours ago, Mice! said:

I hope after all this trouble the nut at the butt does its job ? 

my problem is at the moment .....my eyesight..........with all these poorly clad yummy mummies in the hot sunshine..............i think im going blind.........(and deaf too).....

4 minutes ago, ditchman said:

my problem is at the moment .....my eyesight..........with all these poorly clad yummy mummies in the hot sunshine..............i think im going blind.........(and deaf too).....

Just make sure you do that sort of thing in the privacy of your own home, or we will see you arrested for indecent behaviour!:rolleyes:

1 minute ago, Mice! said:

Great isn't it ? 

do you know i still wonder at all the differnt shapes a breast can be....i rekon i need to keep busy so i can work my way through them all....i couldnt choose a favourite they all have good points.......

45 minutes ago, ditchman said:

do you know i still wonder at all the differnt shapes a breast can be....i rekon i need to keep busy so i can work my way through them all....i couldnt choose a favourite they all have good points.......

I hadn't noticed, i must pay more attention ????? 

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE

the screws are finally made..:yahoo:...will pick them up tomorrow then i can get on with the mounting of the sight....i will buy a "raiser"..(like a plain pittcany rail) as well...and take a few pics to show you what i intend to do..............

cant do it today as i have to attend the diabetese clinic today...

so watch this space

ditch

8 hours ago, ditchman said:

UPDATE

the screws are finally made..:yahoo:...will pick them up tomorrow then i can get on with the mounting of the sight....i will buy a "raiser"..(like a plain pittcany rail) as well...and take a few pics to show you what i intend to do..............

cant do it today as i have to attend the diabetese clinic today...

so watch this space

ditch

Your a tease Simon.

mick

right ......:hmm: forward and onwards.............

finally got the screws cut..made them long so i can cut them to fit...then i picked the solid "raiser" up....took the top piece off as i need the space for a clear veiw thr' to the foresight.....

i need to mill off the side and top (see 2 pics with my knife blade)...then with the addition of the steel extender...it will bring the sight into alighnment...........i need to put this extender shaft on so as to move it forward and back to get the correct eye relief....as i might change from an adjustable iris diopter to an open standard peephole.....

so nect thing i need to do is have the top and side milled off...then i can drill and fit and measure and alighn...prior to milling off the shaft............

hope you are with me....i do take questions........

enjoy your saturday..:good:

raiser and stuff 001tn_.JPG

raiser and stuff 002tn_.JPG

raiser and stuff 003tn_.JPG

raiser and stuff 004tn_.JPG

raiser and stuff 005tn_.JPG

raiser and stuff 006tn_.JPG

raiser and stuff 007tn_.JPG

raiser and stuff 008tn_.JPG

raiser and stuff 009tn_.JPG

raiser and stuff 010tn_.JPG

raiser and stuff 011tn_.JPG