ditchman

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Yes, excellent read and excellent project.  Now what ???????

have a time out from making stuff...wait for thye weather to wettern up...bit of decoying...landy maintenance...then knife making when the nights draw in more............

7 minutes ago, Mice! said:

very nice shooting sir, may i recommend you get a red pen, much easier to see where your hitting.

Do you think the diop... Will be accurate at range? 

enjoyable read learning as we go ?? 

at Bisley they use them at 1200 metres !

24 minutes ago, Mice! said:

very nice shooting sir, may i recommend you get a red pen, much easier to see where your hitting.

Do you think the diop... Will be accurate at range? 

enjoyable read learning as we go ?? 

is this better.............

dio'xscope 001tn_.JPG

dio'xscope 002tn_.JPG

11 minutes ago, ditchman said:

at Bisley they use them at 1200 metres !

Well ok then, never used one so I'm imagining they wouldn't be air rifle accurate at say 30yards obviously I'm wrong ? 

3 minutes ago, ditchman said:

is this better.............

dio'xscope 001tn_.JPG

dio'xscope 002tn_.JPG

ha ha, i got some red targets a few years ago and thought wow much better.

peep sights/vernier sights were around before scopes and the are still around today.........this thread was to answer my question WHY ?......i have spent my life asking why ...:lol:

its one thing being told by someone and another going on a journey and finding out for yourself...fitting and using quality peep sight has ...sofar ...been a real relevation...its amazing how it screws with your brain and resets the muscles in you eye...thus giving perfect clarity to to what was and old weak eye............the aperture sight is also very forgiving, easier to get correct alignment than a scope....

its is stated that a trooper with an M1 Garand ..after a little training would be expected to acheive a 2" group at 100yds...........

the way things are looking at the moment...if i had my time over again and i was into stalking...i would certainly think very seriously about shooting with a good quality aperture sight....there are of coarse plus's and minus's...and for the scope to.....

but at the moment im enjoying answering my own question...and seeing how far i can take this..................

ditch

Superb thread again Ditchy

Cannot believe the accuracy of the little sight, just goes to show that telescopic sights are not the be all and end all. This is accurate, highly practical and sturdy, less to go wrong, I can see the appeal of them.

Bet you got a few of the pw fraternity pondering a retro change to one of these!

atb

7diaw

Yes, excellent sights. I, like many others, cut my competition teeth with these sights on prone .22 target rifles, mostly BSA Martini actions at 25 yards in the 1960's. If the bullets didn't all go through the same hole it was the shooter not the sights. All full bore target shooting in the UK at that time was .303 with some sort of ex military rifle, usually an Enfield or P14 fitted with a heavier barrel and PH sights. In about the mid 60's we started to switch to 7.62, still the same rifles, just re barrelled. At that time all ammunition was supplied as part of your entry ticket and subsidised by the government. All the rifles were fitted with aperture sights, usually PH, some used the standard blade front sight but at about that time they changed the targets to the standard round black centre rather than the half round black so most shooter switched to the globe front sight with different sized inserts depending on the distance.

With the six hole eyepiece the usual practice was to start with the largest hole then keep trying smaller until the target got darker then go back up one - it's like camera, smaller aperture = greater depth of field. I've used them plenty of times at 1000yds but never shot 1200 with them.

They're not cheap now though, really quality made stuff;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223080202762

2 hours ago, ditchman said:

its is stated that a trooper with an M1 Garand ..after a little training would be expected to acheive a 2" group at 100yds...........

that was what i was expecting, I've always watched biathlon and wondered how they can ski so hard and still shoot accurately.

25 minutes ago, 1066 said:

Yes, excellent sights. I, like many others, cut my competition teeth with these sights on prone .22 target rifles, mostly BSA Martini actions at 25 yards in the 1960's. If the bullets didn't all go through the same hole it was the shooter not the sights. All full bore target shooting in the UK at that time was .303 with some sort of ex military rifle, usually an Enfield or P14 fitted with a heavier barrel and PH sights. In about the mid 60's we started to switch to 7.62, still the same rifles, just re barrelled. At that time all ammunition was supplied as part of your entry ticket and subsidised by the government. All the rifles were fitted with aperture sights, usually PH, some used the standard blade front sight but at about that time they changed the targets to the standard round black centre rather than the half round black so most shooter switched to the globe front sight with different sized inserts depending on the distance.

With the six hole eyepiece the usual practice was to start with the largest hole then keep trying smaller until the target got darker then go back up one - it's like camera, smaller aperture = greater depth of field. I've used them plenty of times at 1000yds but never shot 1200 with them.

They're not cheap now though, really quality made stuff;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223080202762

impressive indeed, there is a fineb... Can't think how to spell it with peep sight at Blackpool air guns, i might have to take a look.

6 hours ago, Mice! said:

that was what i was expecting, I've always watched biathlon and wondered how they can ski so hard and still shoot accurately.

impressive indeed, there is a fineb... Can't think how to spell it with peep sight at Blackpool air guns, i might have to take a look.

Feinwerkbau?

Will do. Gun has a bit of an oddball diopter mounting on the side with a dovetail and clamp. Should I wish to mount a scop on top I'll need to engineer something at right angles to clamp a scope to whilst keeping it central........... 

Ah, but thats another thread for a other time. 

Edited by Mr.C

2 hours ago, Mr.C said:

Will do. Gun has a bit of an oddball diopter mounting on the side with a dovetail and clamp. Should I wish to mount a scop on top I'll need to engineer something at right angles to clamp a scope to whilst keeping it central........... 

Ah, but thats another thread for a other time. 

I guess that's a Russian CM-2 bolt action target rifle you're using Mr. C.  Excellent rifle for the price. I still have an aperture sight for one of these rifles along with the interchangeable front sight elements and different size apertures. After sitting in my cabinet gathering dust for a while I chopped the barrel and made a scope rail and used it as a long range rabbit sniper.

2f2XdFAl.png

nkGBYRTl.png

Wonderful to see that old sight back in action . Next time you shoot it try a patch over your left eye and keep both eyes open . You will get a much better sight picture without straining the eye you are looking through the sight with . I used to have a bit of card or plastic the size of a credit card that had a hole punched through and was attached to the rear sight by screwing the diopter through it . 

Well done simon . A really first class job . Better on the back of your rifle than forgotten about in a box in a lock up .

mick 

8 hours ago, Harnser said:

Wonderful to see that old sight back in action . Next time you shoot it try a patch over your left eye and keep both eyes open . You will get a much better sight picture without straining the eye you are looking through the sight with . I used to have a bit of card or plastic the size of a credit card that had a hole punched through and was attached to the rear sight by screwing the diopter through it . 

Well done simon . A really first class job . Better on the back of your rifle than forgotten about in a box in a lock up .

mick 

right i will have a go at that...:good: