Bridge on the River Kwai

Retsdon

Got there late yesterday because of a logistics mess-up and didn't get to see much, but I'm changing my plan for the reverse journey to have a whole day. But I did get to see the cemetery in the town. It's sobering to see so many graves of men in their prime. And what's so saddening is that they didn't die in battle but were basically worked and starved to death. I didn't know there were so many Dutch there. They have their own section and the graves number in the hundreds.

IMG_20180613_180749.jpg

https://ibb.co/album/d51h8v

Struggling to upload pictures, but hopefully the link above might work....

Edited by Retsdon

i am busy reading Eric Lomas's epic ,'Railway Man' half way through and the treatment both physical and mental can only be described as brutal in the extreme.  How anyone survived the cruel punishment and forced labour on top of a starvation diet is nothing short of a miracle. 

Blackpowder

10 hours ago, catchthepigeonmutley said:

Anyone know if any Japanese were brought to justice after the war?  Top Nazi's were brought to book at Nuremberg,  but what about the brutal Japanese for what they did?

Yes the author of my earlier post goes on to say that the two Japenese who  beat and murdered two POWs were later hanged, so there were at least some war crime trials.

Blackpowder

6 hours ago, dead eye alan said:

I seem to remember most of them committed hari-kari.

According to Max Hastings, surprisingly few Japanese committed seppuku, compared to the number of Germans who committed suicide in the face of the Russian onslaught.

Similarly, comparatively fewer Japanese were arraigned for war crimes as against the Germans.

Apparently the Americans wanted to let bygones be bygones 

Edited by amateur
Spelling