Off to Hastings

deny essex

Off to hopefully sunny Hastings for a short family break next week, grandkids included, going to need a sanctuary to escape to there at some time no doubt.

Any recommendations ? forget any pubs or clubs  I dont drink and too old to jiggle things about! 

Suggestions welcome (nice ones, Ive had enough of the other ones in my lifetime )

And if any of you local guys want any dippas let me know and save money on postage with a meet.

Edited by deny essex
addition

19 minutes ago, deny essex said:

Off to hopefully sunny Hastings for a short family break next week, grandkids included, going to need a sanctuary to escape to there at some time no doubt.

Any recommendations ? forget any pubs or clubs  I dont drink and too old to jiggle things about! 

Suggestions welcome (nice ones, Ive had enough of the other ones in my lifetime )

And if any of you local guys want any dippas let me know and save money on postage with a meet.

hello deny, i  google things to do in ???? and it shows quite a lot of info, was years ago since i was in Hastings and its a nice interesting place to visit, have a lovely time with family, 

You have got the cable car up the cliff, I've never been up it but I'm told the views are nice. There's also some caves near the cable car that might be worth an explore, again never been in them though.

I've only ever been there on lads holidays many years ago, so we spent most of our time in the pubs.

I worked with a fella who’s sister lives along that way and they did dare not go in there own gardens on a night as there were that many illegals around. That was a few year ago so might have stopped now, 

Wasnt there a big spitfire base at Hastings or nearby during the war. Must be plenty of places to visit. 

Edited by figgy

28 minutes ago, figgy said:

I worked with a fella who’s sister lives along that way and they did dare not go in there own gardens on a night as there were that many illegals around. That was a few year ago so might have stopped now, 

Wasnt there a big spitfire base at Hastings or nearby during the war. Must be plenty of places to visit. 

Don't think they would get too far with the coastguard base at Rock 'a' nore car park! Never heard of this before! Last few immigrants we had arriving near to Hastings was on Winchelsea/Pett beach, which is about 5 miles from Hastings.

Denny,

let us know what your into and how old the kids are. I live a few miles from Hastings and work in Hastings. 

As mentioned the Funicular's are quite good. Do the west cliff one. At the top on the left (west) there are remains of an old castle. On the right (East) theres the caves.Quite interesting guided tour, with history from Pirates to illegal night club!

If the kids are into Skateboarding/BMX'ing, the "The Source Park", Europes largest underground skate park.

Presume your driving?

Rye Harbour- good walk, Large wetland nature reserve, good bird watching

Tenterden- Steam Train to Bodium Castle (or drive to Castle, National Trust)

Fishing (from the shore/pier) i can advise where and maybe join you?

Food

Burger- Half Man, Half Burger

Steak- Two Bulls

Thai- Thai Bookshop (highly recommend this) By day is a second hand book shop, by night a Thai restaurant!! You must book!

There is a new "discount card" called 1066? This gives quite a few discounts at quite a few places, worth looking into?

45 minutes ago, figgy said:

During the war, there was a secret Fuel dump, just behind the pier. It was connected by pipelines to the end of the pier in case any of the navy vessels needed re-fueling but was never used.

Hastings Abbey and the site of the battle in 1066 is really well done. You walk round the battle field and they give you a hand held tape recorder and as you reach the stops around the route it tells you who / what / where . Even my OH enjoyed it 

Good roadside Café on the A259 other side of Bexhill called The Custom Café post code TN39 4QR

Denny,

Some good ideas as posted above, but don't forget your passport and currency change as you go from the dark side over the bridge to Kent en route to East Sussex. 

:yahoo:

Enjoy your break.

OB

1 hour ago, Old Boggy said:

Denny,

Some good ideas as posted above, but don't forget your passport and currency change as you go from the dark side over the bridge to Kent en route to East Sussex. 

:yahoo:

Enjoy your break.

OB

Its only undesirables like you Boggy that need to carry their passports! Otherwise you may be mistaken for an illegal immigrant and sent back over the bridge! given a new house!  ??

11 hours ago, silver pigeon69 said:

Its only undesirables like you Boggy that need to carry their passports! Otherwise you may be mistaken for an illegal immigrant and sent back over the bridge! given a new house!  ??

Actually, I rather like Hastings as it has some very quaint old streets, so I'm sure Denny will have a good time, with or without passport or currency change.

Ironically, I am in Denny's much maligned but beautiful county of Essex for the weekend so it leaves Kent devoid of undesirables such as me, which cannot be at all bad. 

OB