scope mounts

dazb1967

I'm after some advice on Optilock scope mounts and bases for my Tikka T3X lite, looking on there website it looks like the advice they give is for Low rings on bases for a 56mm, has anyone got a similar set up that they can give me some advice, I haven't got the scope yet and I'm currently away from home on a fishing trip so I want to order the rings and scope for me getting back home, Ive had some good advice from Rimmie on here but would like to hear from someone with a similar scope set up. 

Thanks   

What scope?  Front or side parallax makes a difference!?

Just the same I seem to recall following Optilock recommendations and got low for my 50mm at the time and it didn't fit, ended up with medium.

Moving further ahead, whilst they are still fitted to one of my T3's I will never give Optilock house space again, Sportsmatch and others now make mounts which are just as good if not better and cheaper in my view.    Sportsmatch and Optilock fitted on the top 2 and run side by side for years, neither has caused any problem but I don't like the Optilock mounting method and the Sportsmatch were about 1/4 the price I seem to remember!

CentrefireGroupx.jpg.b5f459d9d751e1bd788078ffe7099a57.jpg

Edited by Dekers

I think the low would have been OK on your Hunter without the AO ring which does make the scope a lot bigger at the front end.

Remember your thoughts on the Optiilock rings from a few years ago when you were opposed to the way you had to keep them straight as they were tightened up. They do have to be aligned properly and I used a 1" bar to check mine, but I do know someone who actually used the scope to twist them the last couple of thou's ?

When I bought my T3 the only rings and mounts available were Optilocks. Now that was some 12 years ago I think (can't remember) but they were around £85 at the time which made me wince a bit. Since then other makers have made them, and a lot cheaper. 

You can buy Warne mounts for the T3 now, although they are still around £65, but still a lot cheaper (and probably better) than Optilocks.

12 hours ago, Graham M said:

I think the low would have been OK on your Hunter without the AO ring which does make the scope a lot bigger at the front end.

Remember your thoughts on the Optiilock rings from a few years ago when you were opposed to the way you had to keep them straight as they were tightened up. They do have to be aligned properly and I used a 1" bar to check mine, but I do know someone who actually used the scope to twist them the last couple of thou's ?

Yep, that's what I consider a BIG design flaw.   You have to align and straighten and tighten the ring/base before you mount it, and very few people will be able to do that 100%.  The plastic ring inserts address minor tolerance issues but I just think the whole design is daft ….. consider also the cost and they are a non starter for me now!!  :good:

Edited by Dekers

1 hour ago, Houseplant said:

Honestly, the UK is a shopper's paradise compared to NZ. High prices, and quite often poor quality products and service.

Yup, that's why I order so much from Germany now. Golden Isle shops are way to pricey on many items. Just have a little comparison shop on Amazon.fr/ Amazon.de for many items.

Update from me. Having had a chance to have a look at the factory rings, they’re not all that. Combined with some bad reports online (some good too though to be fair), I’ve ordered some Talley rings. So, don’t feel too short changed about rings not being supplied with the rifle.