Permanent Weed Killing

ferguson_tom

Most glyphosate weed killers will do what you want but it's not an overnight fix. Done over a number of months you will reduce the weed growth to airborne germination only. 

Oh and bird poo. 

Don't bother with garden centre version, it wee wee. Search on Amazon that will throw a a load for you to choose from.

www.gardenersdream.co.uk/gardening-c104/feed-weed-mosskill-c174/weedkillers-c191/rosate-360-tf-5-litre-weed-killer-p578

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Elixir-Gardens-Glyphosate-Commercial-Complimentary/dp/B071GVC33M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1529064793&sr=8-1&keywords=rosate+36+very+strong+glyphosate+weedkiller

Edited by Dougy
Links

3 minutes ago, rimfire4969 said:

Have a look at Gallup weedkiller.

Yes,,, that one too, another glyphosate based just different brand names. I just chucked in that one for example, probably the dearest I've seen to. I didn't realise it was only 2ltr. But time sure tom can search for something now he's got the idea. 

Paradise or Chikkara  expensive but when worked out  per/L is cheaper than pathclear and the like.

Look at a company called PROGREEN they have a good website and chemical usage well explained, I use Chikkara and it's good stuff.  

Glyphosate is only really a contact chemical has to come in contact with green plant, you are looking at a residual chemical stays in soil.

Cheapest option if near no other green or neighbours borders would be water softner  granuals, this will in effect poison the soil.

20 minutes ago, Konnie said:

Glyphosate is only really a contact chemical has to come in contact with green plant, you are looking at a residual chemical stays in soil.

Cheapest option if near no other green or neighbours borders would be water softner  granuals, this will in effect poison the soil.

This! Neat glyphosate is fine, but wasteful! You don’t need to do it and as stated above it doesn’t stay in the soil. 

You can buy weedkillers for gravel that act through the soil rather than a contact killer like glyphosphate.  I have the last of a tub of a sodium chlorate weedkiller that has since been banned.  I don't know what replaced it but that sounds like what you're after.

Edited by yod dropper

6 hours ago, ferguson_tom said:

Thanks gents, i will go down the glyphosate route. Any harm in going over the stated dilution any reason i cant pour it on neat to kill everything in its path?

This is why members of the public should not have access to agricultural chemicals.

Besides all the other reasons you shouldn't do it, glyphosate has no residual effect and is the wrong chemical completely.

Use Chikara as suggested and use it at the correct rate.

41 minutes ago, 39TDS said:

This is why members of the public should not have access to agricultural chemicals.

Besides all the other reasons you shouldn't do it, glyphosate has no residual effect and is the wrong chemical completely.

Use Chikara as suggested and use it at the correct rate.

Thats politer than what I was going to say!

I spend hours in the classroom and field doing my tests, but then any tom **** or harry buys the stuff, splashes it everywhere and no one cares! If i spilled some from the sprayer, I'd have the EA on my back quick that i could say oh dear!

11 hours ago, das said:

Works a treat, rock salt mixed with water to a muddy sludge and spread it on, nothing will grow there again.

+1 for rock salt solution. Did my drive.(block paving) and also patio and lasts 2/3 years, depending on the dilution due to rainfall. Much cheaper than any weed killer you can buy.

OB

Sodium Chlorate used to be the stuff but as said lots of salt will also work and the slugs don't like it either.  I have a fairly large gravel yard which collects seeds from being blown in and brought in on vehicle tyres. I Glypho at leat twice a year.  I also glypho under my fruit trees and having done this for a number of years the grass no longer grows there but other weeds do and need spraying each year.  Mixing heavier doses than required is wasteful with glypho. Just really wet such weeds as nettle or dock but other weeds only need a fine spray and do it on a still day, warm, sunny day...no wind.  It will kill japanese knot weed but you have to keep at it for some time. Took me two years to obliterate a 10 mtr patch behind my barn.

9 hours ago, Big Mat said:

Thats politer than what I was going to say!

I spend hours in the classroom and field doing my tests, but then any tom **** or harry buys the stuff, splashes it everywhere and no one cares! If i spilled some from the sprayer, I'd have the EA on my back quick that i could say oh dear!

:good:

42 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I also glypho under my fruit trees and having done this for a number of years the grass no longer grows there

Grass seed has a short life so the lack of grass is most likely down to there being no seeds to germinate than any residual effect of the glyphosate. 

I grow apples for a living, I do know a bit about trying to keep the weeds down under the trees. :)