Permanent Weed Killing

ferguson_tom

4 hours ago, 39TDS said:

Grass seed has a short life so the lack of grass is most likely down to there being no seeds to germinate than any residual effect of the glyphosate. 

I grow apples for a living, I do know a bit about trying to keep the weeds down under the trees.  

:good:

Just as an add on, how about controlling moss on a tarmac surfaced tennis court ?   Rock salt, would that work ?  Surface can be scraped and brushed clean but moss is back within 10days, obviously spores surviving.

Edited by Walker570

3 hours ago, Vince Green said:

Don't buy the ready diluted stuff from garden centres and B&Q. Go to the wholesale trade sites and buy prediluted concentrate its massively cheaper. I always buy roundup because I am familiar with it.

Most/all agri places shouldn't be selling 'farmer' grade weedkillers now unless u have ur PA tickets, and been that way for quite a few years now.

Up till 5 yrs ago u could get it on a holding number or ur farmer mates account, no longer unless they have spraying tickets.

Bizzarely u can still get it online, usually from ireland for about £20 for 5 liters (which would ? about 250L of shop bought pre diluted Glyco)

But as been said u'd e better of with a different chemical as glyco is a contact only and becomes inert in soil

The best product I have ever used for keeping Moss at bay is Pro-Kleen green mould, algae and moss killer. I've sprayed this on walls, decking and also on my tiled roof, where a lot of loss was building up. It kept the moss away for many months, and I respray it every couple of months.

1 hour ago, scotslad said:

Most/all agri places shouldn't be selling 'farmer' grade weedkillers now unless u have ur PA tickets, and been that way for quite a few years now.

Up till 5 yrs ago u could get it on a holding number or ur farmer mates account, no longer unless they have spraying tickets.

Bizzarely u can still get it online, usually from ireland for about £20 for 5 liters (which would ? about 250L of shop bought pre diluted Glyco)

But as been said u'd e better of with a different chemical as glyco is a contact only and becomes inert in soil

You are right but I have never had any trouble buying it online. Lack of controls obviously

3 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Just as an add on, how about controlling moss on a tarmac surfaced tennis court ?   Rock salt, would that work ?  Surface can be scraped and brushed clean but moss is back within 10days, obviously spores surviving.

I bought this, but not for a tennis court.  Super value and it works.

https://www.hygienesuppliesdirect.com/products/prod234806-4xultima-plus-xp-strong-patio

5 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Iron sulphate can be diluted and put on with knap sack sprayer. Cheapest option

On 16/06/2018 at 13:02, Walker570 said:

Pro Kleen which I mentioned in an earlier post, will work. It's an excellent product. After vaious products being 'recommended' by freinds etc, this product actually WORKS! The moss on my roof stays away for at least 4 months, and the same with the moss/algae on the walls.

5 hours ago, scotslad said:

Interestingly you can purchase chemicals legally, but the law puts the responsibility on the purchaser to ensure the chemical is applied by someone with the relevant qualifications! 

Bizarre I know! 

7 hours ago, Walker570 said:

As said, I use rock salt and it also kills moss permanently.

OB

17 hours ago, Big Mat said:

Interestingly you can purchase chemicals legally, but the law puts the responsibility on the purchaser to ensure the chemical is applied by someone with the relevant qualifications! 

Bizarre I know! 

Never knew that, but i know the more reputable local agri dealers now won't sell unless u show ur sprayer ticket.

Just watch with rock salt/brine it's also pretty corrosive with concrete and will take the top off it.

I ruined some patches at my old house with salt/grit, concrete was only lais that summer and i left the salt down infront of garage doors during some prolonged snow, when i eventually swept it up all the top skin of concerete came with it.

I'd be cautious of using rock salt on tidy concrete or try it in 1 corner 1st

7 hours ago, scotslad said:

Never knew that, but i know the more reputable local agri dealers now won't sell unless u show ur sprayer ticket.

Just watch with rock salt/brine it's also pretty corrosive with concrete and will take the top off it.

I ruined some patches at my old house with salt/grit, concrete was only lais that summer and i left the salt down infront of garage doors during some prolonged snow, when i eventually swept it up all the top skin of concerete came with it.

I'd be cautious of using rock salt on tidy concrete or try it in 1 corner 1st

I must admit to only having used it on block paving with absolutely no adverse problems. Therefore I cannot recommend it on concrete if there is any chance of it affecting the concrete. 

As for rusting cars on drives, I could not see this being a problem as the salt solution is washes into the cracks and does not remain on the surface.

On 17/06/2018 at 20:00, Old Boggy said:

I must admit to only having used it on block paving with absolutely no adverse problems. Therefore I cannot recommend it on concrete if there is any chance of it affecting the concrete. 

As for rusting cars on drives, I could not see this being a problem as the salt solution is washes into the cracks and does not remain on the surface.

As I've mentioned a few times Pro-Kleen green mould, algae and moss killer really works. I can't praise this product enough.

1 hour ago, steve_b_wales said:

As I've mentioned a few times Pro-Kleen green mould, algae and moss killer really works. I can't praise this product enough.

Are you sure that Pro-Kleen green mould, algae and moss killer works? Any lingering doubts? ???

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/06/2018 at 19:04, Big Mat said:

Bizarre I know! 

An extremely frustrating one when I spend my days training you guys how to obtain your Pa certificates then I get asked why some of the more common stuff can be sourced from eBay and other online sellers with no requirement for proof of qualifications needing to be shown. I’ve recently seen a 25kg bag of slug pellets on eBay along with products like Stomp, the latter and a whole load of other even more hazardous pesticides like Actellic being sold on there by Italian and Eastern European sellers.