Dog walker in pea crop calls the police

ShropshireSam

Out shooting over peas yesterday.  They were early drilled and now 4ft tall and in full flower.    It is one of two large pea fields bordering a local town.  Not many options where to shoot as footpaths at the top and bottom of the field.  But I found a patch of thin crop I could shoot over away from the town and set-up by about 2:30.  I had been shooting for about an hour when a lady walks towards me down a tramline.  I left my gun and face shield in the hide walked towards her and advised her there was no right of way where she was walking and she needed to return to the footpath at the top of the field.  She replied "Can't dog walkers use the field?"   I advised her no, and advised her where the paths were and that she had to stay on the footpaths.  I collected a few dead birds and returned to the hide.  She stood and watched for awhile then slowly walked up the hill then stopped 100 yards off watching.  I had a few birds come over me but did not want to start shooting with her watching.  She eventually made her way across the field, still not on the path and I started shooting again.  I was not very comfortable shooting as I was aware I may get complaints about the noise and was limited where I could shoot with no chance of taking shots at second birds -  which is usually the challenging shots.  Had a few nice 1/4 crosses heading for a nearby tree.  Pigeons slowed by 5 and I packed up and home by 6.  Around 6:30 had a bobby at the door about a complaint about someone shooting in the vicinity of dog walkers and he had clocked my vehicle near-by.  I told him the situation as described above, clarified exactly where I was shooting and he agreed I was well within the law and that he would visit the lady and "educate" her as regards the law.

Several times I have thought about getting a 20g hushpower for these kind of situations - but do you have problems with these guns not keeping the pigeons on the move -  as I had lots of pigeons heading for trees in this field and once one went in a tree the rest would follow until I took a shot.

Picked 36 from 68 shots.  This farmer routinely drills peas early and they attract high numbers of pigeons when in flower.  Also had a good day 2 weeks ago on some thin late drilled peas about 6 inches high.

Sorry to hear that Sam. I have a few places where I am reluctant to shoot even though the farmer asks me due to footpaths and nearby housing. It's not the most pleasant feeling even if you are within the law. Bumpy 22 and i had a chap approach us in the night with a loaded closed shotgun on a field where we were shooting foxes. We had put our rifles away prior to his arrival but it was a very menacing confrontation which was reported to the police. Despite the fact that this was a clear case of armed trespass, as he had no right to be there all that has happened is the police confiscated his gun.  We are still reluctant to return to the field as we want to avoid any chance of further confrontation. 

I would say keep going as you are Sam, she`s been told once and hopefully this should be the last of it. If your using a semi auto maybe consider a silence but other than that save yourself a few quid and just notify the police before you shoot that field and get a reference number.

I don`t call the police to get numbers when am out shooting but if I were in your position for this field I would do just have shown willing in a situation with a history.

ATB

Matt

Been there, done that!

Last time was couple of weeks ago, watched an elderly couple and their massively overweight labrador approaching my corner of the field, saw her twig that the pigeons weren't real then his finger came up and pointed at the hide. I then politely enquired as to their permission to be in the field and they used the farmers first name. At that point I was satisfied. When I mentioned it to the farmer that evening he wasn't and said tell them to leave next time.

Mentioned it the farmer's wife.  She said she had a dog walker nowhere near a public footpath in the next field.  When advised of the fact they said "Well I've been walking my dog on this field for 15 years and never had a problem with the farmer."  She replied "Well I've been farming this field for 35 years and I've always had a problem with dog walkers!"

50 minutes ago, ShropshireSam said:

Mentioned it the farmer's wife.  She said she had a dog walker nowhere near a public footpath in the next field.  When advised of the fact they said "Well I've been walking my dog on this field for 15 years and never had a problem with the farmer."  She replied "Well I've been farming this field for 35 years and I've always had a problem with dog walkers!"

Posts like that are why this forum needs a "like" button.

59 minutes ago, ShropshireSam said:

Though I have never met her I do rather like the sound of the farmer's wife.

Of the land I shoot over only one farm borders 'civilisation'. When I go there I always call 101 and get a log or reference number from the police and I always call them at the end of my session to let them know I have finished. I do know that my actions are appreciated.

Edited by JDog

Guest stevo

I have never phoned to let the police know I'm shooting as I feel this kind of self regulating practice does us no good , and does nothing but make a rod for our own backs, ....just my opinion 

my activities are legal , and until the law requires me to do otherwise...... well you know the rest 

3 minutes ago, stevo said:

I have never phoned to let the police know I'm shooting as I feel this kind of self regulating practice does us no good , and does nothing but make a rod for our own backs, ....just my opinion 

my activities are legal , and until the law requires me to do otherwise...... well you know the rest 

I am not sure what you mean by 'this kind of self regulating practice'. To me it is basic manners when I am near houses and it may save the Police unnecessary time and effort in responding to a call about 'a man with a gun' when they will be better off dealing with other issues when they know that 'the man with the gun' has logged in with them.

Guest stevo
1 hour ago, JDog said:

I am not sure what you mean by 'this kind of self regulating practice'. To me it is basic manners when I am near houses and it may save the Police unnecessary time and effort in responding to a call about 'a man with a gun' when they will be better off dealing with other issues when they know that 'the man with the gun' has logged in with them.

I am more than happy for plod to come out and see me , they can even come sit in the hide and have a cuppa with me , however  you could  just save time and effort and just notify the police of all the land you shoot and provide your vehicle details along with a contact number  when you first obtain shooting rights . 

But I’ll stick to my original comments though , do you not feel we have enough restrictions and legislation placed on us , without adding our own **** ? to the list , you may feel your doing right , but I feel these  kind of actions do our sport and the freedom to conduct our sport in a legal and lawful manner no good whatsoever . 

But you crack on if you must . 

Edited by stevo

I agree with you stevo.  Eventually some smart alec will come up with the idea we should all report in before going about a lawful pastime.  Another situation where policeing has gone to pot. In the good days...notice I don't say 'old', your local copper would know what was about and have words with said 'lady'.  Been there, four years as a village beat bobby and it was my business to know the good, the bad and the ugly.  Your modern police wouldn't know where to start.

16 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I agree with you stevo.  Eventually some smart alec will come up with the idea we should all report in before going about a lawful pastime.  Another situation where policeing has gone to pot. In the good days...notice I don't say 'old', your local copper would know what was about and have words with said 'lady'.  Been there, four years as a village beat bobby and it was my business to know the good, the bad and the ugly.  Your modern police wouldn't know where to start.

What is this "local" copper to which you refer?

I really hate this kind of behaviour from members of the public. They seem to think that walking a dog across someone's land is fine. I think they would have a problem if they found a stranger with a dog in their back garden!

I've had 2 occasions when I thought ringing 101 to let them know what we were about to do would be a good idea first time I gave up at around 2 hours on hold and on the second got through in a couple of minutes only to be put on hold again after the mention of guns, gave up after 3/4 of a hour. 

Most of my pigeon shooting is on estate land or down on the marshes , the estate office know who I am and have got my car reg number as I often drive around the headland and park out of the way , the land is criss crossed with foot paths and the majority of the locals stick to them . if I was shooting near houses , which isn't very often , I would go and see the tenant or owner to let them know I am shooting near by and to find out if they have got any livestock that is worried about gun fire.

No way would I sit there worrying about not being able to fire a second shot or being restricted about where I can shoot , even though on paper you might well be in the right the last thing I want is the police to be called , this is something I can do without and luckily I don't have to take that chance , the only time I ever had the local police officer come and see me was when a horse owner rang him up to say my gun fire was making her horse nervous and could I stop shooting , when he came to see me he estimated I was 300 yds away from her stables , I told him either she put up with me shooting one day a week or the farm will put a gas gun on for most days of the week , he told me to carry on and I never heard no more about it ,  

My only experience with ringing the police to inform them of shooting was a bad one. 

We were lamping rabbits on a golf course on the outskirts of a town. We rang the police, gave details and obtained a log number number. On arrival at the course we spoke to the owner who was still in the clubhouse. After a couple of hours we spotted lights shining in our vehicle in the car park. We walked over and found 2 PC’s  who then shone bright lights in our faces and demanded we put our guns down on the floor.  My reply of “ Not bloody likely” got them a little excited. I was stood in a large puddle at the time. 

They came up with some cock and bull story about the owner ringing them about suspicious activity at the course.  After a radio call to the HQ and a phone call to the owner they disappeared a little red faced. 

59 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

What is this "local" copper to which you refer?

Exactly....your just too young to have seen one. 

46 minutes ago, motty said:

I really hate this kind of behaviour from members of the public. They seem to think that walking a dog across someone's land is fine. I think they would have a problem if they found a stranger with a dog in their back garden!

Blame set aside. The public think that is what it was left for ...honest , not kiddin'. Try to explain the real reason and their faces go blank.

I get it all the time , just because they have a dog they think they can walk anywhere they like , if you have a polite word with them they still get the hump , use the 20 bore hushy  a lot more now save  any hassle , you would think living in the country side they would understand what we do but alas some must lead a sad life , just have to grin and bear it . they must get a buzz calling the fuzz.

The sad reality is most folk who nowadays buy property on the outskirts of farm land tend to be {in my experience} nothing more than wealthy townies, with very little understanding of what goes on in the countryside. I often wonder what it would be like if game keepers still used vermin lines to display their effectiveness.

I think the op {sam} has dealt with this in a responsible and professional manor. Perhaps the Lady just needs educating and hopefully she has learnt something.

As for calling the police, we used to do it regularly when out lamping to avoid the helicopter pouncing on us. Often when called again at the end of the session the operator had no knowledge of our earlier call, suggesting it was a waste of time.

We have a shared permission with Bunny_Blaster and both him and myself have had to tell dog walkers that they are not on a footpath and they seem to think they can wander anywhere. I would object to reporting to the Police as when I start out I do not know which county I'm going to be let alone which constabulary I come under.