Straw hide net

Where are you wymberley?????   I have three very large rolls of the stuff and yes it is excellent on stubble with a handful of straw thrown on it or tied on it.  Not see through though, so some holes need cutting.  

OOOOPPS!!!  Sorry David.  didn't see you at the forefront.  Birmingham ..north south east or west.  Yep I have a lot of hessian as well. It works well with desert camo as you can have a foot at the top you can see through.   Your very welcome to some. I get across to Coleshill area fairly often.

Edited by Walker570

4 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Where are you wymberley?????   I have three very large rolls of the stuff and yes it is excellent on stubble with a handful of straw thrown on it or tied on it.  Not see through though, so some holes need cutting.  

East Devon. I don't suppose I'll need to use this method more than half a dozen times - if that - before I pack it all in, so will just stick with what I have. Many thanks though.

If you're looking to put a hide up at the edge of the field rather than in the middle make it now with a few posts pushed/ knocked into the ground and string between them like washing lines. Have the strings about a foot apart from ground up to hide-height and drape each string with goose grass (sticky-willie or whatever you cal lit 'round your way) Old bits of netting or mesh are even better if you can lay hands on them.

That way it will be green for now (and therefore usable) and as the goose grass dies and dries it turns the colour of stubble and blends in a treat.

Build the posts and string bit of the hide well enough and the goose grass will drop seeds and re-grow up the strings next year to provide you with a new hide ready for use. Easiest 'good as permanent' hide going ;)

Edited by Longstrider

20 hours ago, Walker570 said:

...and the hedge cutting starts 1st July:rolleyes:

It doesn't have to be against  a hedge fella :)  I have one of these hides built under a lone oak tree that the farmer is perfectly happy with because it's not in the way of anything. It's been there for about 4 years and is still going strong.

7 hours ago, Longstrider said:

It doesn't have to be against  a hedge fella :)  I have one of these hides built under a lone oak tree that the farmer is perfectly happy with because it's not in the way of anything. It's been there for about 4 years and is still going strong.

I have a close firend who cuts hedges as a business and I get harangued every year about bits of camo getting wrapped in his blades etc etc.  Careful what you leave behind.

I agree a lone tree is an ideal place for a perment set up, especially if it has produced year after year.

Never did have fancy camo netting and such back in my teens and we learned to build a hide from natural materials. Cannot be beaten.  Trouble these days is hedges are so finely preened there is rarely anything handy to build a hide.

Edited by Walker570

I made some from flat bed sheets,you can get straw/harvest colour,stitched 12" of clearview netting on the top for a vision panel and sliced the sheet with a Stanley knife to allow the wind to blow through,much easier to pack than Hessian and much lighter if it gets wet.

And it's a good cost effective method.

Edited by Bluebarrels