Steel Shot or Wasting My Time?

Hi There, my friend and I had the potential for a decent bag of pigeons today, close in over decoys.

During the winter we got chatting to a fellow member on our pheasant syndicate who keeps and works falcons, we agreed that if he supplied steel cartridges he could get our birds less one or two for the pot or for future decoys, happy days for everyone!

We got 250 28g 7's, to kick us off in early spring, our first outing was under a flight line with fast birds in a wind skirting some trees, we had some good shots and some not, but kept an open mind, the next couple of outings only the odd few so still too early to say, on another outing we came across birds feeding on clover late in the afternoon, after a fair bit of banging we didn't have much, about 10 I think but I did notice that what most weren't a clean kill and I was certain most flying away were pricked.

Today was perfect, a brisk wind, birds using a flight line and looking to feed, the decoys/flapper were doing a great job.....but we weren't lol!!!

Birds sailing in to the wind in 2's 3's 4's lining up and firing then automaticly moving on to the next bird with split second confidence only to find the first ain't dropped, the concentration levels stepped up a gear and we knew we were in the zone, yes we did get some but nowhere near what we'd expect for 80 odd shots at that range.  

Of the 14, yes 14, only 2 were stone dead.  I don't like to read too much in to things and judge for myself the end result, perhaps a heavier load larger pellet size would help?

It'll be an embarrassment asking for more cartridges after handing over a measly amount of birds ?

Anyway, what's your experience using steel on live quarry?

Thanks TLR

Edited by The Lawn Ranger
Input txt

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, The Lawn Ranger said:

Hi There, my friend and I had the potential for a decent bag of pigeons today, close in over decoys.

During the winter we got chatting to a fellow member on our pheasant syndicate who keeps and works falcons, we agreed that if he supplied steel cartridges he could get our birds less one or two for the pot or for future decoys, happy days for everyone!

We got 250 28g 7's, to kick us off in early spring, our first outing was under a flight line with fast birds in a wind skirting some trees, we had some good shots and some not, but kept an open mind, the next couple of outings only the odd few so still too early to say, on another outing we came across birds feeding on clover late in the afternoon, after a fair bit of banging we didn't have much, about 10 I think but I did notice that what most weren't a clean kill and I was certain most flying away were pricked.

Today was perfect, a brisk wind, birds using a flight line and looking to feed, the decoys/flapper were doing a great job.....but we weren't lol!!!

Birds sailing in to the wind in 2's 3's 4's lining up and firing then automaticly moving on to the next bird with split second confidence only to find the first ain't dropped, the concentration levels stepped up a gear and we knew we were in the zone, yes we did get some but nowhere near what we'd expect for 80 odd shots at that range.  

Of the 14, yes 14, only 2 were stone dead.  I don't like to read too much in to things and judge for myself the end result, perhaps a heavier load larger pellet size would help?

It'll be an embarrassment asking for more cartridges after handing over a measly amount of birds ?

Thanks TLR

Exactly our experience, tried everything up to 36g no4 Gamebore Mag Steel, the amount of decoy range birds poke axed but not dead was crazy, the only conclusion based on how hard they were hit was the shot goes straight through .. As a result, I don’t beleive in steel .. Many people we have met say the same thing but it’s not popular.

I been shooting Express 32gram 5s , since December last year and found them to be very effective at good ranges. Close birds do have shot passing through them which can allow them the fly on but if watched they drop entually. I'm aware that Bunny_blaster did try some 28gram 7s and found them to be effective. 

When we made the change to steel we limited our shooting to reasonable ranges as we were aware of the myth that they do not kill at range. We soon dispelled this and now shoot with confidence at any droppable target. 

I would use 32/5s for all my shooting and perhaps consider 28/7s for shooting over blow holes in downed crops if I could not increase the distance from the hide.

I regularly shoot feral pigeons with gb 28 gram 7 competition steel at decent ranges with a kicks hyflier full choke, 50 yards will kill em no problem, woodies 45 yards, what brand of shell r u using and choke, I have to agree with Kraai steel kills fine when u get used to it, I shoot ducks out to 50 yards with gamebore 32 gram 3s but u hada be on the front half of the bird for a clean kill 

Edited by Maxus Hunter

19 hours ago, PPP said:

Exactly our experience, tried everything up to 36g no4 Gamebore Mag Steel, the amount of decoy range birds poke axed but not dead was crazy, the only conclusion based on how hard they were hit was the shot goes straight through .. As a result, I don’t beleive in steel .. Many people we have met say the same thing but it’s not popular.

My conclusion would be that your shooting was not particularly straight! If you're using 36gm 4 steel, 50 yard pigeons are very easily killable, provided you do your bit.

Anyway, what is wrong with steel passing through the bird? If it does, it has had maximum chance to penetrate vital organs! I do get annoyed with this myth that pellets that go straight through a bird aren't doing much damage. Think about it!!

11 hours ago, B525 LIGHT said:

Your shot size is too small. You need to step up 2 sizes minimum.

Not necessarily. 30 yards + is easily achievable with a 28gm 7 steel.

20 hours ago, The Lawn Ranger said:

Thanks TLR

Without seeing you shoot, it is difficult to know what might have gone wrong. Are you a poor shot? Can you judge range effectively? If they were decoying to thirty yards, then I suggest it was your fault and not the cartridge.

Motty and I shot a big bag of pigeons with steel and he recorded it,you can find it on YouTube or if your lucky someone might share a link ,we used 32 steel 4 s that day and steel 7s in fact all sorts, it's worth a watch ,steel works.

Edited by muncher
Spelling

30 minutes ago, muncher said:

Motty and I shot a big bag of pigeons with steel and he recorded it,you can find it on YouTube or if your lucky someone might share a link ,we used 32 steel 4 s that day and steel 7s in fact all sorts, it's worth a watch ,steel works.

I used to shoot 28 gram seven n half trap loads in lead for woodies but requested to supply all of my birds to BOP guys I changed to steel.

I have used 28 no 7s since then.

My averages per year were 2600 birds and changing to steel they are the same.

Ive converted quite a few to steel and they would not go back.

Over ponds I use the same load (half choke) on rising teal and mallard dropping into decoys.I see no difference in bags.

The only thing I find with steel is it tends to be a tighter pattern so when at woodies I use quarter choke after patterning on the plate.

everyone at decoying should know their permissions. One or two of mine the birds flight in over some tall trees so I always use 32 no 4s for the extra distance although I can take decoying birds to 40 odd yds with the 7s.

The good thing about steel is the premium the BOP guys pay.   How much.  NOYB.

3 hours ago, motty said:

My conclusion would be that your shooting was not particularly straight! If you're using 36gm 4 steel, 50 yard pigeons are very easily killable, provided you do your bit.

Anyway, what is wrong with steel passing through the bird? If it does, it has had maximum chance to penetrate vital organs! I do get annoyed with this myth that pellets that go straight through a bird aren't doing much damage. Think about it!!

Nope, birds were hit very heavily indeed but just didn’t have the killing power of lead.

26 minutes ago, PPP said:

Nope, birds were hit very heavily indeed but just didn’t have the killing power of lead.

Verry strange overhere in belgium whe shoot steel since 2008...if i hit a bird hard its dead...i use half and 3/4 choke and shoot 32 gr nr 5 and 32gr nr 3 sterl 

14 minutes ago, Kraai said:

Verry strange overhere in belgium whe shoot steel since 2008...if i hit a bird hard its dead...i use half and 3/4 choke and shoot 32 gr nr 5 and 32gr nr 3 sterl 

They did die, but not as instantaneously as lead, I hate seeing birds flapping about 

4 hours ago, motty said:

Without seeing you shoot, it is difficult to know what might have gone wrong. Are you a poor shot? Can you judge range effectively? If they were decoying to thirty yards, then I suggest it was your fault and not the cartridge.

With respect, I have no need for anyone to judge our ability, we get all of our lead cartridges supplied FOC by the 1000's because of the acreage of crop protection we cover for one of the biggest growers in the country!  

Seeing the video, shooting is too close and your bag looks like it would be unfit for consumption....a laughable 50yds ??????

Edited by The Lawn Ranger
Addition

4 minutes ago, The Lawn Ranger said:

With respect, I have no need for anyone to judge our ability, we get all of our lead cartridges supplied FOC by the 1000's because of the acreage of crop protection we cover for one of the biggest growers in the country!  

Seeing the video, shooting is too close and your bag looks like it would be unfit for consumption....a laughable 50yds ??????

I think someone may be telling porkies...

9 hours ago, The Lawn Ranger said:

How many acres is than that? Must be 50,000 plus.... or you're tellingtall tales! 

440 hectares? One of the biggest growers in the country? Laughable at best!

However given your location, I'd hazard a guess as to what you're shooting over, so numbers of pigeons are too be understood!

Try a bigger shot size in steel, it does kill. It's no less lethal than lead