Steel Shot or Wasting My Time?

we don't need to discuss any hypothetical situation scenarios or choices or  range selection, that video is the closest you're gonna get to an accurate assessment of the facts as they actually are with no bias from either Direction.

not the exact subject matter pigeons vs  mourning doves  but it's close enough for this reference in the contexts of this thread.  all you need do is watch the video read the paper  and learn.

Edited by Fen tiger

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Fen tiger said:

we don't need to discuss any hypothetical situation scenarios or choices or  range selectiselection, that video is the closest you're gonna get Joanne accurate assessment of the facts as they actually are with no bias from either Direction.

not the exact subject matter pigeons vs  mourning doves  but it's close enough for this reference in the contexts of this thread.  all you need do is watch the video read the paper  and learn.

I forgot Patuxent.

Those who read, forget: those who see, remember; those who do, know.

22 minutes ago, wymberley said:

I forgot Patuxent.

Those who read, forget: those who see, remember; those who do, know.

I do and I know and I watch listen and read.

Now what the Texans did I know that their conclusion. Steel vs lead. looks close enough to how i know steel works, for me to accept it. As that's pretty damn accurate!

that'll do for me.

Edited by Fen tiger

Steel will kill if you do your part the right shot size speed an choke plays a big part in the matter. The only thing I shoot with more then 30gm of steel shot is fowling most of the time it's 24gm 28gm 30gm home loads shot throw after market choke and they will kill pigeons dead in the air as far out as you want to shoot them. Yes you will get the odd bird fly off hit hard  an drop 100 yards away even with lead you get that. That last week I shot with Agaman had a cracking afternoon shot nowt but steel missed a few but the 28gm an 30gm 3s was killing pigeons pasted 50 yards dead as a knit 4s also work a gives you a few more pellets in the pattern but the 3s do everything I want them to do pigeons crows duck even a few foxes just use bigger stuff for the geese. I would say if your using an auto and want to shoot steel seriously spend a few quid on a kicks xfull choke an if your not making your own cartridges buy a box of most brands an pattern them throw your gun with said gun and go from there. The kicks xfull is good with steel from 30/50 yards an more it chucks a good tight an even pattern 

12 hours ago, wymberley said:

Before it became a casualty of Photobucket's attitude there was a table and write up on here to assist anyone wanting to, or thinking of, changing from lead to steel shot. I do think though that perhaps one member did download it and might still have it.

That may have been me when I was trying to get my ahead around this stuff. I still refer to my chart every now and then. As pointed out when I first posted, it's just a comparison, not a definitive guide to what you should/should not be using. 

2uzypzk.jpg

6 hours ago, Houseplant said:

That may have been me when I was trying to get my ahead around this stuff. I still refer to my chart every now and then. As pointed out when I first posted, it's just a comparison, not a definitive guide to what you should/should not be using. 

2uzypzk.jpg

To be honest, I was thinking of someone else. I enjoyed doing it at the time so if only one person found it helpful it was worth the effort. Like all things shotgun, as you rightly say, with the best will in the world anything can only be taken as a guide.

7 hours ago, Houseplant said:

2uzypzk.jpg

I would disregard that chart altogether.

Hello again, thanks to everyone who replied with constructive comment and DM's.  I took these on board and spent some time mid week at one of my local permissions with a pattern board, different chokes and a selection of cartridges.

I'm not going to bother giving my step by step findings because some of the more pedantic readers will no doubt find fault somewhere or other!

Basically, steel 32g 4's through a 1/2 choke seemed to pattern nicely at 25-30yds.

With this choice, I went out yesterday on crop protection duty.....ahhh the hardship ?

I had productive morning and definitly noticed a difference with my kill ratio and clean kills too.

There's still a little more testing left to do this coming week but on the whole I'm more positive with steel than I was a week ago.

Happy hunting.

TLR.

Edited by The Lawn Ranger
Adding a sentence

After reading your op ,I took a box of Gamebore 24g No5 steel in 20 bore on a corvid session Friday afternoon.Used them first,then went back to lead.The steel worked well enough although I wasn`t shooting at long range with them really.Shall have to try a few different ones if I see any for sale !

I've switched to  Eley VIP Lightening steel 32g 2 shot from Eley VIP Hyperspeed 4 shot for the end of my duck season and it seems to be better. Faster, heavier load and bigger shot. Ducks falling out the sky dead and no noticeable increase in recoil from my Browning Maxus.

On 01/07/2018 at 23:50, Houseplant said:

I've switched to  Eley VIP Lightening steel 32g 2 shot from Eley VIP Hyperspeed 4 shot for the end of my duck season and it seems to be better. Faster, heavier load and bigger shot. Ducks falling out the sky dead and no noticeable increase in recoil from my Browning Maxus.

I like 2s smaller sizes work fine, but 2s and full or fuller choke are my favorites .

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/06/2018 at 17:42, motty said:

My conclusion would be that your shooting was not particularly straight! If you're using 36gm 4 steel, 50 yard pigeons are very easily killable, provided you do your bit.

Anyway, what is wrong with steel passing through the bird? If it does, it has had maximum chance to penetrate vital organs! I do get annoyed with this myth that pellets that go straight through a bird aren't doing much damage. Think about it!!

Not necessarily. 30 yards + is easily achievable with a 28gm 7 steel.

Why restrict yourself to 30 yards?

4 hours ago, B525 LIGHT said:

Why restrict yourself to 30 yards?

You said to step up at least 2 shot sizes. If shots are around 35 yards and under, then there is probably no need. A steel 7 is closer ( in diameter) to a lead 6, anyway.