Signed off work with depression

Bigbroon

Hey guys just a heads up I have been signed off work with depression.. after chatting to a mate he mentioned asking basc for some advice which I did. They advised putting my guns into storage and notify the police which I duly did. The police then came and collected my licence. I can' fault them with regards to their attitude and helpfulness towards me... they reckon I'll be able to get them within the next month if I'm feeling better. So what I'm basically saying is don' be scared to talk about your problems or seek medical advice it' just a blip that can be sorted out 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, motty said:

It would depress me being without my guns. I am not entirely sure that Basc gave the right advice. Why did your guns need to go?

Me too. I know that going for a good walk does wonders for ones mental well being, but taking a gun with you heightens the effect for me. 

I was advised that the police wouldn't let anyone keep guns and licence until they were satisfied I'm safe to be in possession after putting my guns in storage and speaking to the police because I have been pro active and notified them it has a massive impact when I try and get my licence back... even though going a walk round the farm with my gun is a major coping strategy they have to err on the side of caution 

11 minutes ago, Bigbroon said:

I was advised that the police wouldn't let anyone keep guns and licence until they were satisfied I'm safe to be in possession after putting my guns in storage and speaking to the police because I have been pro active and notified them it has a massive impact when I try and get my licence back... even though going a walk round the farm with my gun is a major coping strategy they have to err on the side of caution 

Why would you be deemed unsafe?

44 minutes ago, bumpy22 said:

hopefully it is one less thing for you to worry about now they are safe in storage. once you are over this you will have them back and that is another incentive. i am sure things will pick up soon and you will be back to yourself soon :good:

So well said , there will come a time when your doctor will say get your guns back and go enjoy yourself . It can take a while , but with the right meds and help ,it will work , dont be hard on yourself , say tomorrow is another day . 

On 16/06/2018 at 22:33, Bigbroon said:

do you think that you were a danger to yourself or the public?

Very best of luck getting over this quickly.

I believe that the police usually like guns out of the way in depression cases just because the licence holder might be a danger to themselves rather than anyone else. They would be seriously castigated by almost everyone the worst happened so in a way they are damned if they allow retention and damned if they do not.

1 hour ago, 243deer said:

Very best of luck getting over this quickly.

I believe that the police usually like guns out of the way in depression cases just because the licence holder might be a danger to themselves rather than anyone else. They would be seriously castigated by almost everyone the worst happened so in a way they are damned if they allow retention and damned if they do not.

I think it’s possibly more of a aria covering exercise yet again, as they only want to remove those items they are responsible for issuing tickets for. If they were so concerned about risks to the owner and orvthe general public, then surely they should insist he hand in all knives ( kitchen and otherwise ) all other pointy and sharp implements such as screwdrivers, chisels, tools such as hammers and axes, pills, his car keys etc etc etc. Logic dictates. ?

1 hour ago, blackbird said:

Yes I totally agree with you 100% that’s all the police & BASC are doing is covering there own backsides, but looking at this guys personal case he did the right thing.

he's said he was on sick with depression,he also stated the he's not a danger to himself or the public,he should have spoke to doctor before handing anything in

Edited by andrewluke

The OP, BASC and the Police appear to have erred on the side of caution. I too would have consulted my GP, before taking a fairly drastic step.

I am concerned that his estimate (within a month - when he is feeling better),  is unrealistic.

I wish him well, but alarm bells, about getting the licence back, are starting to ring.

50 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

The OP, BASC and the Police appear to have erred on the side of caution. I too would have consulted my GP, before taking a fairly drastic step.

I am concerned that his estimate (within a month - when he is feeling better),  is unrealistic.

I wish him well, but alarm bells, about getting the licence back, are starting to ring.

Have to agree.

I wish the OP well but a month doesn't sound even a bit realistic to me!

I consulted basc asking for advice and followed their advice. the timescale of 1 month was stated by the police not myself... it could be well off or it might not be... hopeully the latter. as previously stated I'm in no way a danger to myself or anyone else but after speaking to basc it's a standard protocol by the police. If I never handed them in come renewal time it will flag up I have/had depression and not notified them deeming me untrustworthy 

3 minutes ago, Bigbroon said:

I consulted basc asking for advice and followed their advice. the timescale of 1 month was stated by the police not myself... it could be well off or it might not be... hopeully the latter. as previously stated I'm in no way a danger to myself or anyone else but after speaking to basc it's a standard protocol by the police. If I never handed them in come renewal time it will flag up I have/had depression and not notified them deeming me untrustworthy  

who told you that?