Code black!

motty

I had a bit of a look around for pigeons this week. I could only find a few here and there which may yield a low double-figure score. I could not get too enthused. Jules was in the same boat. I offered Jules the chance to shoot a few crows on some grazing land, but he came up with something a little better....    He had found a lot of blacks feeding on a recently drilled maize field. He was unsure whether or not we could shoot, as the farmer had not replied to his text. I went to bed last night with no idea where I would be shooting today.

I somehow missed Jules' call this morning, so he headed over to the field on his own. I joined him a couple of hours later (11am), to find he was well on his way to 100 blacks down. I walked across the field to find a simple set up of a load of slain birds and a man in the reed filled dyke. They were decoying well, apparently. I jumped into the dyke, made myself a muddy platform and loaded the gun. I took my wildfowling Bettinsoli for a change. It has probably been a much underused gun for me. I ended up shooting pretty well with it! I was armed with ounce loads of 6.5 and 7.

Jules can be a real gent, despite his rough exterior. As he had enjoyed the shooting all on his own, he then let me have first dibs on all the remaining birds to arrive. He was ready with his gun to back me up. I was getting plenty of shooting and got several doubles. When I missed one, Jules invariably managed to mop up.

I had some fun with Jules' Zabala  s/s double discharge gun. It gives mild recoil with one barrel, but both together is a different story! I took a few long rangers with it. Great fun.

When the action quietened a bit , before 3pm ( and the crows started to hover high in the sky), we decided to call it a day. We picked up 134 rooks, 52 carrions, 24 jackdaws and a single pigeon.

Cheers, Jules! Now please add pictures.

Video will follow in due course.

Edited by motty

Excellent report as per usual , I used to enjoy shooting corvids but apart from shooting a few to hang up on sticks I cant no longer afford to shoot large numbers with the price of cartridges they are now , although having said that they do make good sport , although only second best compared to pigeons .

WELL DONE.