HEADS UP, COUNTRYFILE TONIGHT, FROM A HOOVER MULTI MILLIONAIRE TO A LAND BARON

oldypigeonpopper

hello, i am not an avid watcher of the above programme as like most things with the BBC with its bias views, but i wonder what will be said on giving little chance to the smaller farming communities that are being sold out and those like the above  turning our countryside into one big land estate,  

Last season I shot on one of the Estates owned by possibly the same person. There were rough patches of long grass, set aside areas with wild flowers gone to seed, newish hedges of varying shrubs, ponds, wet patches left as scrapes, reeds in the ditches etc. It was a wildlife heaven.

When I said to the shoot host how surprised I was that ****** went for the wildlife aspect in such a big way he said he didn’t, all of that stuff was created by the previous owner and that ***** was busy pulling it all out. Indeed we did see that the land drainage machines had already started to install drains to drain the wet areas.

I can remember feeling particularly deflated at the prospect of the previous owner’s good work being negated.

Should maybe be some covenants in the sale off land estates where wildlife areas should be protected. Never been one for people being told what they can and cant do in the most parts, but something for nature does need to be done before its too late.

Guest stevo

He bought the land for his kids , it’s all an attempt to get  around inheritance tax. 

As said he has stopped most of the shooting , and to be fare does sod all with the land really , certainly not enough to warrant all of the Subs he currently gets 

Hmmmm James dyson , what a legend .........not .

Edited by stevo

The irony is that there will be a net loss in revenue once he has reverted the marginal land back to agriculture. Last year he received £1.6m of subsidies for field margins and leaving ground unplanted. When farmed this land will produce less income. In addition there will be a capital cost of draining and improving such land.

9 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i am not an avid watcher of the above programme as like most things with the BBC with its bias views, but i wonder what will be said on giving little chance to the smaller farming communities that are being sold out and those like the above  turning our countryside into one big land estate,  

hello, thankyou for your replies so far, interesting Jd on your reply, i know a farm of 1000 acres that gets £65,000 so how many do the Dyson empire have?

17 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, thankyou for your replies so far, interesting Jd on your reply, i know a farm of 1000 acres that gets £65,000 so how many do the Dyson empire have?

It's not just about acreage. There are all sorts of schemes that can garner Government money.

Think he's about 60000 acres, 

They farm it all as a company, and is there to be run as a going concern, yes inheritance tax is avoided if it is done this way, 

but beeswax have rebuilt the cricket pavilion on one of his estates & relayed football pitches for the local community so I have been told. Revesby I think.

hello, thankyou for your replies, i always thought he grew up in wiltshire but maybe where he mentioned was as a young boy, in fact in Malmsbury i had some friends who went to school with james dyson, i have mentioned before he did not come up with the idea of the bagless hoover, anyway it seems from what was stated farming is going to change as was said by a local farmer and many smaller farming families will not be able to carry on which i think is the biggest shame, so much for progress,   

Wot i can't understand about modern farming/CAP/grants is how elsewhere small farms still see to thrive?

It just seems to be the UK where its all about production and costs per unit.

Is it because the supermarkets have such a big hold influence over things??

In france small farm still survive, i know i was speaking to a dairy farmer recently who was moaning about milk prices (now gave up milking) some of his mates emigrated to Canada and yet can still milk 40 cow herds and be happy. They were in the middle of nowhere too so even getting the milk to dairy plant would be costly (only lifted it every 3 days)

I bet theres not a 40 cow dairy left in UK, yet 20 years ago they would be common on mixed farms

26 minutes ago, scotslad said:

Wot i can't understand about modern farming/CAP/grants is how elsewhere small farms still see to thrive?

It just seems to be the UK where its all about production and costs per unit.

Is it because the supermarkets have such a big hold influence over things??

In france small farm still survive, i know i was speaking to a dairy farmer recently who was moaning about milk prices (now gave up milking) some of his mates emigrated to Canada and yet can still milk 40 cow herds and be happy. They were in the middle of nowhere too so even getting the milk to dairy plant would be costly (only lifted it every 3 days)

I bet theres not a 40 cow dairy left in UK, yet 20 years ago they would be common on mixed farms

hello, i think it has to do with the buyers of the big retail supermarkets who try and squeeze the prices down to an absolute bare minimum so little profit for the farmers, even one supermarket gave such a low price there was no profit hence it was left to rot, the farmers weekly is worth a read, if the Dyson farms cannot make a profit as himself stated what chance the family farms,   

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Are other countries not so infuenced by supermarkets then??

The more u here about things and this 'global market place'' u'd think all farmers would be paid the same, this 'global price'

I struggle to see how any farmers could produce anything to a higher standard and cheaper than UK farms as most of them are very good at producing a good quality product in an effecient way.

Makes u wonder how farmers from other countries even come close

I generally refuse to watch coutryfile, althou i did turn it on last nite but missed this part, i know its purely scottish based but Landward a scottish farmig programm for all BBC produced is completely different and often shows shooting/fishing and usually pretty fairly too

1 hour ago, old man said:

Worry not, in a few years it will be impossible to get the farm machinery between the houses.

Perish the thought. However, if that does happen, fortunately and somewhat selfishly, I shall be long gone by then.

OB

23 hours ago, scotslad said:

Are other countries not so infuenced by supermarkets then??

The more uhere about things and this 'global market place'' u'd think all farmers would be paid the same, this 'global price'

I struggle to see how any farmers could produce anything to a higher standard and cheaper than UK farms as most of them are very good at producing a good quality product in an effecient way.

Makes u wonder how farmers from other countries even come close

I generally refuse to watch coutryfile, althoui did turn it on last nite but missed this part, i know its purely scottish based but Landward a scottishfarmigprogramm for all BBC produced is completely different and often shows shooting/fishing and usually pretty fairly too

If you take France as an example, the supermarkets have less dominance than here. I believe around 34% of food retailers in France are independent, whereas in the UK its 1.8%.

Tesco for example, have a 28% of UK food sales.

So yes, our farm gate prices are highly controlled by supermarket buyers. They know to the penny how much production costs are and manipulate the market to pay as little as possible.

Plus and it's a big plus, farming is valued by the French government, it's a big employer and a large contributor to the French economy.

4 hours ago, CharlieT said:

If you take France as an example, the supermarkets have less dominance than here. I believe around 34% of food retailers in France are independent, whereas in the UK its 1.8%.

Tesco for example, have a 28% of UK food sales.

So yes, our farm gate prices are highly controlled by supermarket buyers. They know to the penny how much production costs are and manipulate the market to pay as little as possible.

Plus and it's a big plus, farming is valued by the French government, it's a big employer and a large contributor to the French economy.

That certainly makes sense, from the Little I've seen on countries like France and Italy they enjoy their cooking as much as the food so are probably happier paying more for local produce, this country now seems to be more about squeezing out every single penny, profit profit profit.