Horse fly bite

team tractor

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year when on the Norfolk Briads I got bit lots. When went to swipe them away they flattened themselves so they’re harder to remove. Hell of bite and the reaction the following day ain fun. 

You have my sympathy, itches like mad for a few days. 

One nailed me this week my wood is a favorite haunt for them.  They are about and you do not feel them settle, when you do feel them it is too late.   I use Germolene which has a sort of anasthetic effect, kills the itching.

It can be bad for some people and cause considerable swelling. 

16 minutes ago, reggiegun said:

Its tarts like you Team Tractor, that have messed up Antibiotics, man up!

My legs swollen up so had no choice.

last had them when I chopped my fingers :/ what am I meant to do ??? I only had paracetamol when I chopped them. 

6 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

One nailed me this week my wood is a favorite haunt for them.  They are about and you do not feel them settle, when you do feel them it is too late.   I use Germolene which has a sort of anasthetic effect, kills the itching.

I left it a few days but my leg has swollen to my knee . I didn’t have a clue what it was . I’ve worn shorts for the past month and I guess that’s how it got me.

Edited by team tractor

One evening while walking up hare at Machrihanish some years back, one got through the slit in my face veil and stung me twice before I got it. I woke up the next morning and thought I'd gone blind. To make matters worse I was not in my usual home but on a weeks detachment to the local airfield. Consequently, I wasn't quite sure where I was. When I finally got myself sorted I found that both eyes were swollen and I'm trying to see through two very narrow slits without a great deal of success. The swelling did quickly go down but as said, the pain........

They ain't nice.  They don't bother me too much, just itch like the divil.  I had a mate in the force who got bit on the elbow and it closed him down for about 10days, his arm swelled so bad he couldn't bend it.  That wet weather we had will have suited them no doubt. They don't like Permethrin !!

Edited by Walker570

Horse Fly bites are like any other fly bite .if you havent been bitten before (or in a few years ) you can react very badly .with large swelling..if you get bitten often. Then the bite is hardly noticeable .

Years ago i worked in hong kong where i would get bitten by tiger mosquitoes .i could look down at my legs and sweep 10 / 15 off my legs at once ..by the end of the summer there was no reaction to a bite at all ..the answer is get your shorts on and get out there .

I was bitten two weeks ago on the back of my hand . Within two hours my hand was like a boxing glove. My local shoot has a shallow hollow in the woods that is still holding water since January and I've no doubt that's the source of the grief. Anyway a course of antibiotics has shown good results, there's been a number of similar cases reported locally with the worst involving young children.

3 minutes ago, Zapp said:

Keep an eye on the redness to see that it doesn't spread.

I got bitten on the ankle a few years back and it got infected.  I ended up with a hole on my ankle about the diameter of a .22 bullet which took months to close up.

The redness had started to spread today that’s why I thought sod it im going minor injuries. The nurse touched my leg and wow I hit the ceiling . 

2 minutes ago, Pistol p said:

I was bitten two weeks ago on the back of my hand . Within two hours my hand was like a boxing glove. My local shoot has a shallow hollow in the woods that is still holding water since January and I've no doubt that's the source of the grief. Anyway a course of antibiotics has shown good results, there's been a number of similar cases reported locally with the worst involving young children.

Glad to hear yours is sorted. Felt like a wimp but apparently had several cases like it the last week. 

2 minutes ago, Zapp said:

Hopefully the antibiotics will sort it.  They did for me and apparently my infection was a bad one 

Glad to hear your good now .

49 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Horse Fly bites are like any other fly bite .if you havent been bitten before (or in a few years ) you can react very badly .with large swelling..if you get bitten often. Then the bite is hardly noticeable .

Years ago i worked in hong kong where i would get bitten by tiger mosquitoes .i could look down at my legs and sweep 10 / 15 off my legs at once ..by the end of the summer there was no reaction to a bite at all ..the answer is get your shorts on and get out there .

Just back from a long holiday in Italy, ending with 10 days in a Trullo in Puglia, eaten alive by stuff that the locals shrug at! (As with most things)

A woman I used to chat to walking the dog got bitten a few years ago and was layed up for about two weeks due to a couple of bites, I'd never realised that their bite was so bad. She always walked the dog in trousers and wellies after that regardless of the weather.

4 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Oh man, you need to keep your Wood covered up?