Horse fly bite

team tractor

3 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Walker570....considerable swelling eh? now that's given me an idea . Mice....any pictures of the Dog wearing wellies and trousers?

wp_ss_20180618_0001.png.ef562b1a62570a753eb7a878fa6d6a59.png

power of the internet, can't see the trousers for the wellies, been a long night ? 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read a year or so back that horsefly bites are getting stronger/more painful/reactive due to some change in the strain/breed now about.  I had a very nasty bite on the back of the hand that took several days to go down, and wrist swelled to the extent I couldn't wear a watch.

In contrast, bee and wasp stings are (allegedly) getting less 'strong'.

You are dealing with 2 side effects, 1) a possible infection and 2)a histamine reaction hence the itchness and swelling. The antibiotics do very little for the latter.
If i am out in woods this time of year, i take 20mg loratadine in the morning before venturing out which normally minimises any swelling/itchiness from a bite and if bitten a further 10mg in the evening of either loratadine or cetrazine hydrochloride for the next few days.

11 hours ago, team tractor said:

My legs swollen up so had no choice.

last had them when I chopped my fingers  what am I meant to do ??? I only had paracetamol when I chopped them. 

I left it a few days but my leg has swollen to my knee . I didn’t have a clue what it was . I’ve worn shorts for the past month and I guess that’s how it got me.

If you have been wearing shorts you must have been inside a lot ( no tan ) :blush:

got bitten on my forearm Saturday ,,bit of an itch now ,,nowt I cant live with ,,that one did pay the price..******* to kill you really have to give them a good belt ...ticks are getting bad round our way at the moment..checking the dogs daily for them.after their woodland walks

Many years ago, I was bitten on my forearm by a horsefly. The area around the bite started to become infected, and after applying loads of antiseptic cream, it reduced it a lot. But for many years later, whenever we had hot weather (rare in Wales!) it became swollen again. I finally went to see my doctor who basically said that she 'didn't have a clue' why this should happen. It's now cleared up and hasn't shown signs of flaring up again.

2 hours ago, Stonepark said:

You are dealing with 2 side effects, 1) a possible infection and 2)a histamine reaction hence the itchness and swelling. The antibiotics do very little for the latter.
If i am out in woods this time of year, i take 20mg loratadine in the morning before venturing out which normally minimises any swelling/itchiness from a bite and if bitten a further 10mg in the evening of either loratadine or cetrazine hydrochloride for the next few days.

+1

Got bitten on the hand about ten years whilst at a competition.
By evening my fingers were that swollen I thought they were going to pop !
I put up with it for the rest of the weekend with no sign of it going down, itching like mad, got to work monday morning ,and my mate said 'have you took a antihistamine ?'
I swear within 3 hours the pain and swelling had considerably subsided, and the next day, it was like it had never happened.
Never been bit by one since ?

35 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

?

I’m not convinced she’s not just pretending so I keep making her breakfast in bed before I go to work ? but then she started talking about the price of prams yesterday and I nearly had a heart attack! Apparently saying couldn’t we just acquire a shopping trolley wasn’t the right thing to say ?

52 minutes ago, Benthejockey said:

Mrs BTJ got bitten by one last week right on the back of the thigh. It blew up to the size of a dinner plate but fortunately didn’t go manky. She’s in foal at the minute so she couldn’t take anything good to relieve the itching or soreness. 

Afore said  Germolene... the one with the anaesthetic, it is antiseptic as well.  I find it excellent for any bites and scratches. Good when a wound starts the heal and you get that itching.

8 minutes ago, 243deer said:

We get a lot of the pesky things on the farm and despite being bitten a lot I still get a bad reaction if I do not take the anti histamines quick. To stop the itching I use ammonia - search the bay for After Bite Classic Handy Pen 14ml  

Found that AfterBite a waste of time and it just goes to show what will work for one doesn't always work for another.

In Scotland, horseflies are known as "Cleggs".  I am not sure if this is a reference to a recent politician.  There are similarities ....... both seem small and unimportant, but both can have a disproportionately and very unpleasant and detrimental effect to overall well being.

Edited by JohnfromUK

2 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

In Scotland, horseflies are known as "Cleggs".  I am not sure if this is a reference to a recent politician.  There are similarities ....... both seem small and unimportant, but both can have a disproportionately and very unpleasant and detrimental effect to overall well being.

????

5 hours ago, Benthejockey said:

I’m not convinced she’s not just pretending so I keep making her breakfast in bed before I go to work ? but then she started talking about the price of prams yesterday and I nearly had a heart attack! Apparently saying couldn’t we just acquire a shopping trolley wasn’t the right thing to say ?

go for the double, tell her you don't need a cot you can just use the draws in the bed room