Horse fly bite

team tractor

20 hours ago, Zapp said:

Keep an eye on the redness to see that it doesn't spread.

I got bitten on the ankle a few years back and it got infected.  I ended up with a hole on my ankle about the diameter of a .22 bullet which took months to close up.

+1 I got cellulitus in my leg from a horse fly bite and ended up in hospital on a drip. I lost days where I don't have any recollection of what happened. and it hurt for weeks.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Benthejockey said:

I’m not convinced she’s not just pretending so I keep making her breakfast in bed before I go to work ? but then she started talking about the price of prams yesterday and I nearly had a heart attack! Apparently saying couldn’t we just acquire a shopping trolley wasn’t the right thing to say ?

And the first one only lasts 18 months before you spend another £200 ;) 

17 minutes ago, team tractor said:

And the first one only lasts 18 months before you spend another £200 ;) 

You dont get much of a pram for 200 sobs mate, they were that 17 years ago when I had mine.

She was looking at the BMW and Ferrari ones in Mothercare for a grand.
I went white apparently, and needed to go outside for air ?

5 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

You dont get much of a pram for 200 sobs mate, they were that 17 years ago when I had mine.

won't work for the first one, shiny and new but get the charity shops and car boots local free adds bargains a plenty.

TT your getting loads of sympathy ?? 

14 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

£250 mothercare own . Everything you need and then £100 for the next one.

4 kids ;) youngest 11 weeks .

then again my wedding is £3000 next year. 

9 minutes ago, Mice! said:

won't work for the first one, shiny and new but get the charity shops and car boots local free adds bargains a plenty.

Lol didn’t think for one minute that I’d get any. It’s getting bigger as the day goes on 

34 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I’ve seen some tidy new secondhand ones on fleabay. She wants a holiday before it gets too hot abroad and she gets too fat so I might manage to force a compromise ??

25 minutes ago, team tractor said:

4 kids  youngest 11 weeks .

Lol didn’t think for one minute that I’d get any. It’s getting bigger as the day goes on 

I thought we did well on our wedding costing around £4K. The boss is getting married next June and he’s already spent £10k on the venue!

2 hours ago, Benthejockey said:

I’ve seen some tidy new secondhand ones on fleabay. She wants a holiday before it gets too hot abroad and she gets too fat so I might manage to force a compromise ??

I thought we did well on our wedding costing around £4K. The boss is getting married next June and he’s already spent £10k on the venue!

Beautiful Church, club next to canal and a hog roast. All set in a beautiful village .

all £2k inc dj.

clothing next and all rental .

2 hours ago, The Mighty Prawn said:

That's not what she said etc etc

im going to stick up for you Nath, even with your smooth leg! 

STOP BEING MEAN TO TT

that'll take care of the haters - you're welcome

Thanks mate I’m touched lol.

8 hours ago, team tractor said:

Beautiful Church, club next to canal and a hog roast. All set in a beautiful village .

all £2k inc dj.

clothing next and all rental .

Thanks mate I’m touched lol.

Ah now suit hire! I rented mine, the best mans and the two ushers at about £120 each for the weekend. You can buy the same suit but better quality from next for the same money or less. Also Moss Bros if they’re nationwide are very reasonable and then at least you get some value out of a suit rather than using it for one weekend. 

The Clegs' haven't really started here yet. 

A cleg/horse fly, needs two blood feeds to bring it's eggs to maturity. The first wave, newly hatched and whilst numerous, are easy to deal with by staying covered and swatting/killing them. 

It's later in the year where the more mature street savvy clegs, whilst in search of their 2nd feed, become perniciously sneaky. There's fewer of them but they're far more stealthy in approach and therefore more successful. Usually they stalk you from behind or otherwise out of line of sight. When they target you the only way of getting them to desist is to kill them. As they'll stay on you until they get a bite, following you for a mile or so whist walking isn't unusual, for them it's do or die trying. 

Better to be bit early in the season as that'll help lessen the negative effects for being bitten later in the year. 

Talking to a guy who works on a dairy farm he says that the Horsefly`s don`t seem to bother with them or the cows ! 

Our shoot is alive with them. Ive currently got 6 bites in various stages of healing but off clay shooting later so will likely pick up at least one more !

I take Piriton to help and that`s bout it ! 

Anything that draws blood on a horse is gunna hurt you lol. Dont seem to leave a mark on me anymore but i getting bitten a bit being around horses so maybe theres some kid of immunity built up.

Having said that ive recently come back from Italy and me and the girl got mullered by something out there leaving huge read welts. 

On 18/06/2018 at 12:31, Benthejockey said:

I’m not convinced she’s not just pretending so I keep making her breakfast in bed before I go to work ? but then she started talking about the price of prams yesterday and I nearly had a heart attack! Apparently saying couldn’t we just acquire a shopping trolley wasn’t the right thing to say ?

:) Just bought my Daughter and future Grandchilds pram and all the kit that goes with it, after daughhter and wife got talking. Not gone down in price like tv's and electrical goods have in the decades since mine were young. Tell your Mrs Ben to get talking to her mum it may save you a few bob.

I tried to get away with saying get a candy stripe Maclaren stroller :lol: Horsefly bite would have been preferable to the barrage my wife directed my way.Image result for candy stripe Maclaren stroller

Edited by figgy

We do mountain walking holidays in Southern Austria most years and the horse-flys there are wicked ! I react badly and have found that the best cure is neat TCP applied with a cotton bud ASAP on the bite. Needs repeating a few times but works well !

7 hours ago, figgy said:

:) Just bought my Daughter and future Grandchilds pram and all the kit that goes with it, after daughhter and wife got talking. Not gone down in price like tv's and electrical goods have in the decades since mine were young. Tell your Mrs Ben to get talking to her mum it may save you a few bob.

I tried to get away with saying get a candy stripe Maclaren stroller :lol: Horsefly bite would have been preferable to the barrage my wife directed my way.Image result for candy stripe Maclaren stroller

?? I said she might compromise with secondhand kit and a holiday. If I suggested the deck chair with wheels I’d probably not need to worry about the holiday I’d be killed ???

On ‎17‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 21:43, wymberley said:

One evening while walking up hare at Machrihanish some years back, one got through the slit in my face veil and stung me twice before I got it. I woke up the next morning and thought I'd gone blind. To make matters worse I was not in my usual home but on a weeks detachment to the local airfield. Consequently, I wasn't quite sure where I was. When I finally got myself sorted I found that both eyes were swollen and I'm trying to see through two very narrow slits without a great deal of success. The swelling did quickly go down but as said, the pain........

Not to do with your suffering but your post made me laugh - my squadron Warrant Officer on passing out of basic at Catterick had a first posting to Machrihanish and after being told of its, exotic tropical location - he had just finished drawing all the tropical gear from stores when asked by the supplier, where he was being posted - who then erupted for wasting his time!

On 18/06/2018 at 19:28, team tractor said:

4 kids ;) youngest 11 weeks .

my wedding costed £75 bloody quid and that included the marrige liecence....didnt have a pram had a wire basket which we put her in...then to keep her out of the way we stuck her in the fireplace............................that was 36 years ago.....i left her in Tesco's once...got home and the mrs said "where is she" ?.............

she is still alive and has a dept ' in city hall now...

50 minutes ago, ditchman said:

my wedding costed £75 bloody quid and that included the marrige liecence....didnt have a pram had a wire basket which we put her in...then to keep her out of the way we stuck her in the fireplace............................that was 36 years ago.....i left her in Tesco's once...got home and the mrs said "where is she" ?.............

she is still alive and has a dept ' in city hall now...

Social Services I would guess.